Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable Frame Rate + Audio out of sync

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been looking at this for hours now and it's driving me crazy. I've tried googling, but nothing has managed to fix it yet.

I've recorded a short 10 minute video from my webcam (.mp4) and imported it into Premier Pro. It says
"File Path: ...."
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 1.25 GB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 29.59
Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - compressed - Mono
Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
Total Duration: 00;10;06;07
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 (Full Range)
Variable Frame Rate Detected"

When I go to Export, I have the following selected:
Format: H.264
Preset: Match Source - High Bitrate
Output FPS: 29.97

Now I imagine that the audio is out of sync because the video is now being exported at 29.97, but the audio is still stuck at 29.59 - I can't find a way of exporting the video at 29.59. I exported it at 25fps and it was even worse than exporting at 29.97

I tried using Handbrake software to convert from Variable Frame Rate to Constant, but they didn't work. I tried changing sequence setting to 29.97 and exporting at 29.97, but that didn't work.
I tried changing the source file from .mp4 to .mov and installing quicktime as some suggested,but that didnt work.
I tried "Modify > Interpret Footage" and changing "Assume Frame Rate" to 29.97 - but that didn't work.

If anyone could please help me out on this, I would be eternally grateful. I've spent hours on this now and it's slowly making me go insane.

Also, in future, is there a way to ensure that my webcam recordings are recording at a consistent/constant frame rate? When I look at my recordings, they vary a lot, 29.46, 29.77, 29.63 and so on..

I am using a Logitech C920 for recording with.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

I'm really surprised Handbrake didn't fix your problem with your VFR. I don't want to assume anything but are you sure you used the correct settings in Handbrake?

I just finished recording something recently and the SD card wasn't fast enough to keep up, and so there were a lot of dropped video frames that look like stuttering and the video and audio became out of sync. I just ended up trashing the files and have to redo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really surprised Handbrake didn't fix your problem with your VFR. I don't want to assume anything but are you sure you used the correct settings in Handbrake?

I just finished recording something recently and the SD card wasn't fast enough to keep up, and so there were a lot of dropped video frames that look like stuttering and the video and audio became out of sync. I just ended up trashing the files and have to redo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I wasn't using the correct settings. I followed a youtube tutorial, but only tried it once.

Here is what I did;

"File > Open single video file" 

"Clicked on Video Tab, then changed Frame Rate to 29.97" 

"Changed Peak Framerate to Constant Frame Rate"

Preset remained at 1080p30 (Modified)

Video Codec remained H.264 (x264)

Quality remained at 24 RF 

Encode 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it again in Handbrake and this time it worked

However, it took 30-45 minutes to convert a 10 minute film and the quality was pretty dire after (size: 99.2mb)

I used Wondershare Filmora 9 and that converted it within about 10 minutes and retained the quality, taking the original file size of 1.24GB and exported it at 586mb. 

Is there definitely no way of achieving the same effect through Premier Pro? I seem to spend my life waiting for things to export/render these days. 

Or better yet, is there a way to ensure that my webcam also records at a fixed framerate going forwards, not variable? 

Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is more ideal to record your video clips with a constant frame rate to begin with. That will save you a ton of time. But I can't help you with your web cam. You will have to find some support or forums that deal with Logitech web cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handbrake is still the official Adobe answer to this? Just double checking, I've seen screenshots of a master tab under Effect Controls with "Preservre Audio Sync" as a setting. Also wasted a lot of time searching for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried everything to fix out of sync audio from Facebook, fairly sure it was originally shot on an iPad and uploaded as part of a live FB stream. When I download it it has a VFR but no amout of converting through Handbrake (or anything else) will fix it. It looks ok when it's first through HB but by the time I render it through AE the audio is a fraction of a second out at the end of 18 mins.
The only solution I can think of is to slice it up into sections in the hope that the audio will drift less but it's hardly practical on multiple files. I've just askd the client to film a dupe at the same time as streaming so I can acess less processed footage.
I know converting to a CFR should work but for some reason it doesn't.

Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines