• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video becomes overexposed and washed out when applying LUT

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue from time to time over the last few years and I have yet to find a solution when it happens. I'm currently editing a video in 2024 Premiere Pro and when I apply a LUT under the Creative section in Lumetri Color, the image becomes very washed out and overexposed, even if the LUT intensity is at 0%. I don't believe it has anything to do with the LUT itself, but something about any LUT being applied whatsoever. I have tried to counter this washed-out look by adjusting other parameters in Lumetri Color, but it only begins to create a weird color-blocking look. (video attached below)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't told us what the clip was, is it log or standard Rec.709 or what? Or what color space the clip was, the color space of the sequence, or what color management settings you're using.

We need all of that to understand what's going on.

For basics ... iPhone clips are typically HLG these days, and many other cams can be set to that also. Plus Premiere can recognize iPhone and some log media and use them easily. So in general, having auto detect log, and auto tonemapping set to on, working in a Rec.709 seqeunce, and using Rec.709 export presets is a more reliable workflow.

Premiere then manages everything into Rec.709 with a tone-mapping algorithm for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. The clip was shot on a Sony a6300 in SLog2. Premiere reads it as Rec.709 even with auto detect log turned on, but I applied a color space override to both SLog2 and SLog3 and faced the same issues. I have also tried leaving it as Rec.709, but no luck there. Both the main and multicam sequences are set to a Rec.709 working color space with auto tonemapping turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, I kept everything the same, tried again on a different day, and now it seems to be working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same issue, when a LUT is applied to an adjustment layer, footage gets way overexposed, when I add the same LUT to the clip itself it works just fine. Weird bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I teach pro colorists, I've done a lot of testing and pushing of PrPro's color stuff over the last decade, and I've never actually had this happen. I'd love to test that LUT myself, if you could pass it on? If we can replicate that, it's useful to inform the devs ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines