Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video is shaking/jittering on export

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone: 

I am having a problem with exporting a video.  Link to the video in question is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlxn3yY-K0&feature=youtu.be

It's especially noticeable on the book shots.

The video was shot with a Canon C100 Mark ii in 24p format and edited using Premiere Pro v12.  My computer specs are 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 running El Capitan.

I have tried the following:

Applying Video Limiter to keep the whites and blacks under 100 and 0 respectively (I thought all the white was causing the shaking at first)

Creating new sequences in ARRI Cinema and AVCHD

Exporting at the YouTube 720 and 1080 preset (what I usually do)

Exporting as a MPGEG 2 file

Exporting with the Match Source preset

Exporting with Match Sequence Settings checked

Changing the Fields to both Upper and Lower Field First (even though its a progressive video)

Changing the Frame Sampling to Frame Blending

Restarting

Here are my current sequence settings:

example1.jpg

And my export settings

example2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Hi AlisiaC,

Sorry for the frustration. I suspect this is GPU related. Go to File > Project Settings > General and change the Renderer to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only." Report back with the results.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sure if I can see what you mean in this. Where is the most noticeable part that there is shake?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a minute up and down shaking.  If you look at the video full screen and watch from :02 - :05 you can see the letters on the page jittering.  You can also notice is on the next shot when different pieces of the kit appear - if you keep your eye on the box, you'll see it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see the original media information from MediaInfo ... maybe download that free app, drag/drop a clip onto the app's icon. When it opens, go into Tree View, and post a screen grab of the Video section ... ?

Neil

MediaInfo download page: https://mediaarea.net/nn/MediaInfo/Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil:

Thank you for taking the time.  Here is a screen grab.  I am unfamiliar with this program, so I wasn't able to access the Tree View - it was grayed out.  I hope this is enough info.Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 10.18.16 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those scenes of the open book pages videos or still images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are videos.  I could make them stills, but it still doesn't solve the problem as the entire video is shaking.  I didn't upload the entire video, but you can notice the shake on every shot.  It's just the most noticeable on those book shots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see the jitter elsewhere now. Is this apparent in your source/program windows before export? Or only in the final export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, in the source and program window it looks absolutely fine.  Even when I maximize the windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your project bin, right click one of your clips, choose New Sequence from Clip, then export that timeline using your same export settings as above. Does this export still exhibit the jitter?

If not, go to your original sequence, select everything on the timeline and copy and paste it into the new sequence and try an export from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff:  Thank you for your suggestions - I have tried both of those solutions and both have the same jitter on export.  I have also tried exporting other projects today and everything is working fine so it's definitely something on this particular project.  It's very perplexing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange, I can't help but think there's an issue with the footage. Are you able to upload a sample clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here is a link to the book shot, unedited with no color correction.

Book shot sample - YouTube

You'll see there is some shaking in the beginning when I turn the camera on and adjust it, but it stops around :37 seconds.  The first shot I used in the video was at :50. 

And here are the settings of the raw clip using MediaInfo:

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 12.57.05 PM.png

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could upload to a service like dropbox? Youtube processes the file. I downloaded it from youtube, followed the same steps I outlined above and exported a non-jittery version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Shaky%20footage?preview=00102.MTS

So an update:

I've tried opening a brand new project and importing the raw footage.  When I exported a clip with no color correction or enhancements, using the "Match Sequence Settings" box checked, it came out fine.  As soon as I applied color corrector to it and exported it the same way, it came out jittery.  Again, not sure why as I have my whites set to 95% and my blacks set to %10 so everything should be legal.  Nothing is oversaturated either.  I'm also really trying to avoid having to edit the entire thing over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link points to an empty directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...try this one:

Dropbox - 00102.MTS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AlisiaC,

Sorry for the frustration. I suspect this is GPU related. Go to File > Project Settings > General and change the Renderer to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only." Report back with the results.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha!!  It worked!!!  Woo hoo - thank you so much Kevin, Jeff, and everyone else who took the time to address this problem.  I appreciate it so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! Even with that last file you uploaded, I was unable to replicate the jitter on export (on a 2013 El Capitan Mac trash can nor a 2015 macbook Air). Unfortunately it appears to be an issue specific to your hardware (namely: GPU) which Apple doesn't update terribly often, if at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's something I would never have thought of, yet was such a simple fix.  I've never had a problem exporting anything, and I usually export at least 1 video daily, so I've never even looked at those settings.  Jeff, I really appreciate all of your help in trying to solve this issue.  Next time, I'll know to try the GPU settings first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey guys! my project seems to be doing to same thing- it's like twitching the video. I went to change the project setting but it's muted out- do you know how to fix if it doesn't give the option to change the setttings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have no option to change the Video Rendering and Playback option in the Project settings, it's normally because you don't have a discrete GPU card, and are using the computer's built-in graphics chip.

Is that what you're commenting about?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been having the same problem, I too am not able to change the renderer option. And I can't find any way to fix this jittery video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you get any fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines