Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webm export estimated file size vs reality

Participant ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've a project that requires a webm export.

• uhd sequence (58secs)
  • export settings - webm VP9 1600kbps 8-bit, metadata none

It's saying an extimated file size of 12mb which is roughly what I need for the web application. I'm getting 219mb (tried twice). I can trial and error to reduce the export size but the webm export takes about an hour to spit out my machine. It'll take a few tries to export and it's so timeconsuming considering the overall output size. 

Is it possible to make the estimated and actual export size more in line? 

PC - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz 64.0 GB RAM

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of your export settings.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ex1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan! What's this custom args box and why isn't it influenced by the Bitrate slider? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a similar projected filesize. Exporting....

The custom arguments box info can be found in the pdf in the folder that downloads for the webm plugin install:

https://www.fnordware.com/WebM/

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sample was UHD 56 seconds, exported as VP9 1600 Mbps constant bitrate. Prediction was 11MB; export file was 11.6MB. I have no explanation for the difference you are seeing.

I am using PR 22.3 (the latest update with the new Export workflow). To get familiar settings, I sent the file to AME. But I went back now and looked at the new workflow, and I get the same estimate (as expected).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your efforts Stan. Can I ask what your custom arguments box read for your export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just empty.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I'll take a look at this. I actually just posted an update to the WebM plug-in the other day, but didn't touch any of this stuff.

How long is the movie you're making?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see you said 58 seconds above. Well, at 1,600 kbps that should yield a file of 11.6 MB for the video, plus a little extra for the audio. So the estimation is right, but I guess the encoder isn't making the size you're asking for.

Probably something I'm doing wrong in the plug-in. Will look into it. In the meantime, drop that encoder bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a second test, with the output set to 25fps. As expected, the exported file was slightly larger (11,889KB vs 11,604KB). FYI, I'm Win10.

I'm just not seeing the difference.

Alan, I'd take a look at the too-large-export file with Mediainfo. Post a screenshot in tree view.

Also, I looked at the settings again. The default appears to be Constant Quality at 50. 23.976fps predicats 188MB. At 25fps, it predicts 196MB. I wonder if you didn't get the Constant Bitrate at 1600 to stick?

My export of the 25fps contant quality 50 produced an actual file that is 178,322KB.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe OP is using an older version? The one on Adobe Exchange hasn't been updated in ages; I'm trying to fix that.

You can get the latest version at https://www.fnordware.com/WebM/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I did get it there: V 1.1.1?

Alan, what version are you running?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines