• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are some of the better workflows?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a workflow to edit in Premiere Pro. In the past I have a central location of all my video footage and in my Premiere Pro project I will drag the videos into the Premiere Pro project. Question, when I drag my video footage into the PP project, does this mean I just duplicated the video footage? Should the video footage be reside within each Premiere Pro project to reduce file duplication and file relinking when projects are moved to portable drive to work on the go? What is your workflow? Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023
  1.  Question, when I drag my video footage into the PP project, does this mean I just duplicated the video footage?
    No, Premiere is simply linking to the footage on your harddrive.
  2. Should the video footage be reside within each Premiere Pro project to reduce file duplication and file relinking when projects are moved to portable drive to work on the go?
    Footage does not reside "within" a project. The project file is simply linking to the footage. If you move files around, like a portable drive, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  Question, when I drag my video footage into the PP project, does this mean I just duplicated the video footage?
    No, Premiere is simply linking to the footage on your harddrive.
  2. Should the video footage be reside within each Premiere Pro project to reduce file duplication and file relinking when projects are moved to portable drive to work on the go?
    Footage does not reside "within" a project. The project file is simply linking to the footage. If you move files around, like a portable drive, you can have Premiere simply relink to then, no duplication necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the all the help, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere references the location of the files on disc, it does not create a new duplicate file. Except for when using the MediaBrowser with "Ingest" turned on, and you've set an Ingest practice to say transcode selected media to X format in Y location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If media is on an external drive, it would be best to assign the external drive a fixed drive letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines