• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does "Insufficient media. This transition will contain repeated frames" mean?

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CS5.5.2. Windows 7 Pro.

What does "Insufficient media. This transition will contain repeated frames" mean?

Image A duration 00,00,08:48

Image B duration 00,00,31:00

Transition duration 00,00,00:30

At max zoom, there is no gap between the two clips at 00;33;44;44 in the timeline.Transition info window pops up no matter what video transition i use.

Movie duration is currently 01;09;39;38

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what you have said it sounds like you don't have enough "heads" and "tails" on your clips. Take off 16 frames from the end of clip A and Take off 16 frames of the beginning of clip B. This should fix your problem. I say 16 on each just to give a little extra to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Austin, but i don't understand it. Cutting off frames, shortening the clips, seems to be counter to "insufficient media" and "heads and tails" not being enough. What am i not understanding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clip A is at the end, and clip B is at the beginning. How can you perform a transition between them if there is no overlap? In other words, two clips are butted together, there is no extra material with which to perform a cross-dissolve or any transition. Look for the little triangle at the upper corner of end or beginning of video clip - this signifies that none of the clip has been trimmed (no heads or tails available).

So if you have two raw clips and want to do a 1-second transition between them, you would first need to trim 15 frames from the end of first clip, and 15 from beginning of next clip, then when they are butted together there is "room" to perform the transition. Material from both clips must be combined for that duration, therefore you need to create some "overlap" first. That is what AustinM was telling you.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D0NNN wrote:

What am i not understanding?

Clip handles and transitions

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transition-overview-applying-transitions.html#clip_handle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it will be helpful to explain how Premiere worked many years ago, which was how most editors worked at the time, using A/B editing.

You would have TWO video tracks, A and B, and between them, a Transition track where effects would go. So, if you wanted a dissolve or wipe between two clips, one clip would be on A and the other on B, and looking at the timeline, the end of Clip A would OVERLAP the beginning of Clip B. If you wanted a 1-second transition, the "overlap" needed to be 30 frames. And then the Dissolve was dropped between track A and B, at the overlap area.

Premiere Pro now uses single track editing, and believe me, when I updated years ago, I went through the same learning curve you are! Was hard to get used to. Butting two complete, untrimmed clips end to end, there is NO OVERLAP, so no way to make a transition between them. Therefore, we must trim the end of one and beginning of next, and then that "unseen" footage is available to create a transition with, think of it as unseen overlap.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your replies, but i should explain that when i select the transition in the timeline and view it in the Effrect Controls panel's Timeline View, i do see the 3 tracks: A, fx, B and the AB tracks overlap for the duration of the transition. So i wonder if y'all explanations are on the right track pun intended. Also, i see no triangle at the beginning and end of the two clips, so that means no head and tail is not the problem, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot showing the clips on the timeline. It could be that you have trimmed SOME frames from the clips...but not enough. Meaning, say you trimmed 5 or 10 frames from the ends of the clips, but have a 30-frame transition applied. You are still short having enough media (overlap) to do the transition, as you would need at least 15 frames per side (15x2) to get 30 frames needed

An easy way to trim the clips without needing to manually shift other clips on the timeline is to put your curson on the end of the clip, to get the red bracket where you would click-drag to trim clip, then hold down the CTRL key and the bracket turns yellow, now drag and shorten your clips and it should keep the transition in place but shorten clips to add material so the transition works

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Are all your other transitions working okay?

I would experiment, move the cut, switch out clips until you make it go away, then rebuild it one thing at a time until you see what makes it happen.

Extend the clips until you see the tiny triangle and then make it go away.

Play around. 

There is a pony in there, you just need to shovel a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Insufficient Frames" - if you want a 30-frame transition, but your trims of the two clips only provide say 20-frames, you are 10 frames short, so some frames would have to be "held" (repeated) to fill in the extra time, so you end up with a jerky looking transition, not smooth.

Just please try this, on a blank timeline. Add a clip. Trim 15 frames from end of the clip (little counter pops up while trimming with mouse). Add second clip, and trim 15 frames from beginning. Butt clips together, end to end. Now apply default Cross Dissolve transition. It should work fine, no errors. It's that simple. Please try it from scratch and let me know if it behaves properly.

Thank you

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say Thank you to @SAFEHARBOR11 for being persistent with the answer.  I had this problem and with your help and the pages you refer to I am now able to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clip handles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Ann Bens  I'm making subclips and with everyone's help, I've learned to uncheck the "Restrict Trims to Subclip Boundaries" and it solves my problem.  But.. I also understand why it solves my problem which is more important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌A simple way to visualize it is put the clips on two tracks, one above the other, in the exact position where you want the cut to be.

Extend each clip towards the other.  If you can't go half the length of the transition you desire you can't do a transition- you need overlap. The little triangle in the upper corner of the clip is also a warning that there is no more media to work with, that's why it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the responses above have suggested that you visualize A and B tracks.  However, Premiere has a facility to show you this live time.

• Click on the transition effect that is giving the problem
  • Open the effects dialog and expand the timeline in the dialog.   Here you will the transition to timeline scale and the incoming and outgoing clips arranged as A and B with the transition separating

• To have a good transition, the transition has to be "covered" by both the incoming and outgoing clips.
  • If that's not the case, you will see part of the transition cross hatched where it is not covered by the incoming or outgoing clips.  The cross hatch indicates the missing head and tail.
  • You can use the various timeline trim tools in the effects dialog to move the transition to eliminate the cross hatching.  Note that that the effect dialog an the main timeline are synced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines