• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happens when I delete rendered video

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I delete rendered video from my laptop to make more room memory wise, I lose the edited video.  What do I need to do?  Should I copy and paste the unrendered video in the same project so I have it as I need to make room for new video projects on my MAC (FYI I save the rendered video on an external hard drive.)

Thanks for any advice.

Yvonne

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's get the terminology straight so that we can fully understand the issue:

Render in Premiere Pro means to create preview files by pressing Enter on the timeline or by Sequence > Render Work Area from the menu.

Exporting is the process of creating a stand alone file for external viewing or for reimporting into Premiere Pro.

Please explain more clearly exactly what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...so after I do that and save to my ext. hard drive, at some point I delete on my laptop the rendered files and what happens is the edited footage disappears in Premiere Pro on the timeline in the project.  Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you delete the media used in the timeline from its location on the hard drive, that will happen.

Premiere Pro only acts as a database or shortcut pointing to those files and doesen't actually store them in the project file.

Rendering creates a separate file that makes the timeline preview better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so would it be a good idea to make a copy so it won't delete my edits when I delete the rendered files to make more space on my laptop?

Thx for all your help btw.

Yvonne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "rendered files" do you mean the actual media files or the preview files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than make a copy of your renders, go into the Project Settings and set the Scratch Disk for Video Renders to a folder on your external drive.  Assuiming that the external drive is fast enough to play the renders, you should be good to conitnue editing.

For your next project, consider creating a folder on the external drive for the project, save the Premiere Pro project to taht location and set the Scratch Disk to "Same as Project".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NOICE THANK YOU SO MUCH !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Renders" ... are simply preview files. Deleting renders doesn't have any effect on a timeline other than perhaps slowing playback.

"Render and replace" is an entirely different process, where it encodes a new file to replace the original clip on the sequence. The way to get back to originals from R&R is to right-click "restore unrendered".

So ... do you mean previews made by simply rendering from the sequence, or new media made by doing a render & replace?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines