Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

while importing .srt files sometimes only half the content shows

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while importing .srt files, sometimes only half the content shows

like if i have a .srt with 5min of content only 2-3min of content appears in premiere pro CC 2018. please help !

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most frequent issue is a problem in the .srt file that PR interprets as end of file OR a character that PR chokes on that PR responds to by ending the file.

Open the .srt in a text editor and look at the last caption imported (extra line?) and the next caption (bad character?).

Fix the problem manually; then try the import again.

I rename the file before trying to reimport; I am not certain but PR seems to remember previous caption imports, even if you undo and or delete the previous import.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echo Stan's recommendation. This type of failure is often due to a formatting or timecode issue in the SRT file and Premiere's import stops at the offending issue.

Also, Caption import does create cached files, so that is why you may see same issue if you just import the SRT again. Either quit Premiere Pro, delete Media Cache folders, then launch Premiere Pro again and import SRT or rename the corrected SRT and import, as Stan suggests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks trent and stan for replying,

but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am using a macbook pro and making subtitles with InqScribe. 

I checked the .srt files which were faulty but there didn't seem to be any extra line or special character. I also tried deleting the media cache folder and renaming it still didn't work. what do you guys think ? is it the PR's problem or my subtitling software ?

I don't think it's my software problem because all the other .srt files seem to work, just few of them are having this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trent, thanks for that explanation about the media cache. I'm sure that has caused confusion for users trying to fix a problematic .srt file.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent you a pm offering to look at a file.

Does the same amount of a problem file import each time? 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thanks,

I have figured out what was wrong. 

everything was ok but at some parts there start and end timecodes were same because of which it didn't import the full file.

maybe you can help someone else having similar problem as mine 😄

remind them to check the start and end timecode as well ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, good catch. Duplicate timecode values would also be an issue (thought I mentioned that in my response... and I did not. I have now editied it to include timecode). Thanks for digging into the SRT and providing a prompt update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course! Good catch. And I will add that to my list.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks also like SRT lines with single characters also make Premiere unhappy.  i.e. one line contains a single character.  This feels more like a bug.

e.g.

00:20:26,300 --> 00:20:29,800
heritage management has changed all quite
a

384 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a third party windows program called subtitleedit. that will usually flag errors and allow you to fix them

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit

There's an online version if you're on the mac

I found it very useful dealing with caption/subtitle issues in scenarist, dvdsp and streaming solutions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> one line contains a single character

So the import allows all captions through 382, then stops?

In my test, I had no problem with a single letter on a second line.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines