• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I having audio dropouts and mild video distortion when capturing analog video?

New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried capturing VHS and Hi8 tapes both using a canopus advc-100 and by passing a signal through a Sony HVRM15U HDV deck (both firewire 1394), but I keep getting brief audio dropouts usually at the same spots in the tapes (sounds like dropping frames but is not) and mild distortion video distortion when there is heavy movement on the screen.

When I run an analog signal into my television the tapes play back perfectly. So this makes me think the issue may be with Premiere. I have tried playing the VHS tapes back on two different decks (one with built in TBC), and they sometimes mess up on the same spots, but sometimes on different spots.

I currently don't have any MiniDV/HDV tapes to test to see how Premiere handles those.

I have tried using both the SSD my OS is on (still 150gbs free) and an internal HDD to capture. My computer should be beyond capable handling this task (i7, 16gb ram, gtx 970).

I'm trying to get into transferring tapes professionally on the side, but don't want to dish out a large amount of money for other capturing software when I'm already paying for Premiere, but if you have any recommendations let me know. I used to use Sony Vegas which worked fantastically for this, but it's pretty pricey when I'm only going to use it for the capture element.

I also have an external TBC and and external Raid drive in the mail, but I'm not super optimistic those will solve all my problems.

Thanks so much for reading this, I could really use the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt if it's Premiere. Which version are you using? Try deleting you cache memory.

I just finished capturing DV video using a DV tape deck connected via firewire. No problems. I'm using latest 2017 version of PPro and my computer is running Windows 8.1; I've got 5 internal drives for various projects and settings and am running 64 GB RAM, but I believe your system should be good enough for capturing.

In the past I haven't had any problems capturing any type of video with any version of PrPro. Best to capture to an internal drive separate from you system drive. If it's a hard drive it should be at least 7200 rpm. What other hardware or software do you have on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would think the TBC may sort out or at least improve your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines