• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why black bars on sides of 16:9 sequence in program monitor?

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a weird issue with PP at the moment. Getting some black bars on either side of my footage in the program monitor. Footage is 4K, sequence is 4K. Same thing happens when I resize the footage in a 1080p sequence. When exported at 4K the black bars do not appear in the video file. It's not a huge issue but it's very disorienting when using things like warp stabilizer or creating digital zooms. On the a previous project I cropped everything in to 107% scale because I thought for some reason the resolution of the footage was the issue but now it's looking like some kind of Premeire error.

Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Thanks!

PS. This forum was the closest thing I could find to the issue, if you know of a better discussion to post this issue on please let me know.

4k program monitor sequence settings.png

4k program monitor.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sequence setting is not 4K but UHD, slightly different.

Post screenshot of clip analyzed in Mediainfo in treeview.

MediaInfo windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just looking at the source monitor: those black bars might also be on the original footage.

Post screenshot clip properties in Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UHD is the consumer version of 4K at 3840x2160, while 4096x2160 is Digital Cinema 4K. If your source is the latter, that is not a 16:9 aspect which may explain the black bars.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it does not explain the black bars on the side. The black bars should have been on the top and bottom if its real 4K in a UHD setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to go to Sequence Settings and set the correct Editing Mode. I had this problem with sequences I had manually created where the Editing Mode was set to Custom by default, and when I reverted it to AVC-Intra 100 1080p (matching the Editing Mode for sequences created directly from a 4K source clip) it displayed correctly.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old question, but I figured I'd leave my comment here in case someone else is having this issue. 

When I imported all of my footage I created proxies for all of them.  Once the proxies were done, I created a new sequence from a 4K GoPro clip I had imported and the black bars on the side showed up in the program panel.

corycolt_0-1633104110350.png

When I shut off the "Toggle Proxies" (shown in the screenshot above) my clip now looks normal without any black bars. So the problem is more specifically the aspect ratio my proxies were created in and since I have Toggle Proxies enabled it was showing me the proxy with the wrong aspect ratio. You may be doing something similar without realizing it like I was. I even went through and scaled all my clips to 107% to get rid of the black bars that were never actually on the exported media since it wouldn't be using proxies. 

I hope this helps someone and saves some frustration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines