• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Can't I "Join Through Edits" on Audio Clips?

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit a lot of music videos and I use the razor tool to cut to the beat;

sometimes I make a cut and then perform other actions so undo is not always the best option. 

I swear I used to be able to join through edits on audio clips, and I'm not making any modifications to the audio clip. It's just a simple razor cut, I should be able to join it back together. 

Am I missing something here? 

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems joining audio trrough edits both with and without the indicator showing.

through edit.png

This is on Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get those indicators to appear? Mine just shows the red square bracket with the arrow.

Also the audio file I'm using is a .wav file, not sure if that makes a difference?

Also I'm on a Mac :'(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you turn the feature on in the timeline (wrench)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which feature? "Show through edits"? 

I had it turned off before but even after turning it on I am unable to join through edits, even after a simple razor cut, no other changes to audio clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it with Wav, MP3 and video audio and it works with all formats. Can you join video tracks or is it just the audio you are having iisues with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello aprilfloodgate,

Some additional information would be helpful. Are the 'through edits' showing properly? If you make a straight cut in the audio, does it display as a 'through edit' or not? Is it true for all formats of audio you are working with (including audio linked to video?)

I have noticed that the 'delete through edits' (or 'join through edits') function is spotty on audio clips with different frame rates from the sequence. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - where 'not working' means that cuts don't even show up as a 'through edit', quite aside from whether they can be deleted. My experience on this has been inconsistent, though.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R.,

When I make a cut it does not display as a through edit. This is only true for imported audio, the audio linked to the video cuts fine as a through edit. 

I think you may be onto something because I am working on a different project now and it seems to be cutting just fine as a through edit. I'm guessing there was a difference in frame rate, though I can't be sure. 

Out of curiousity, how do you check the frame rate of an audio clip? 

Thank you so much for your help ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you hovering over the cut with the cursor and then right clicking?

Is the track locked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I am hovering over the cut and right clicking. And no, the track is not locked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines