• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does a 3 minute video take 6 to 8 hours to render?

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New computer 16 Gig RAM, I7 processor, top of line graphics card NVIDIA  Gforce video card. Using 30 day trial.

Have followed the basic Adobe tutorial on rendering, but 8 hours for 3 minutes??? There has to be a better solution to rendering.

SSHD, Scratch disk on seperate hard drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Maybe you missed my post yesterday suggesting you CONVERT the footage in GoPro Studio to an .avi file before editing? I've seen GoPro footage bring a monster dual-XEON workstation to it's knees. something about that format. The conversion software also has a "Remove Fisheye" checkbox that is often helpful when converting.

Also, why are you exporting at 24p? That will make motion look choppy, would go with at least the 29.97 myself and that will divide evenly into the 59.94 source.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK....I am getting to the bottom of this now.

Trying numerous combinations of FX and have determined that LENS CORRECTION is my main culprit.

A 1 min GoPro clip WITH Lens correction takes 25 min to render. The same clip WITHOUT lens correction is 8 minutes!

I am now rendering the same clip in Photoshop with lens correction only and it looks like it is also going to take 30 minutes.

I really want lens correction to eliminate the distortion but maybe I will have to live without it 😞

I think I am about as far as I can go on solving this mistery.

Unless you all have further suggestions on lens correction, I guess this is about as far as I can go.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I noticed that your computer has over 100 processes running, you should tune it and get rid of about 1/3 or more of those. 
  2. Maybe I missed it but what version of Premiere are you using?  From some of the symptoms I am guessing CS6
  3. Have you turned off disk indexing on all drives?  Have you measured performance on the drives?
  4. What is your cache drive, how full is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input.

I am using the 30 Day trial version of Premiere Pro CC.

Cache drive is 2TB 70% free.

I will check indexing and processes.

Thank you!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I clicked on the wrong correct answer. should have clicked on my Lens correction statement.

But they have been all correct answers!

Thanks again!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion Bob..

OK....I am getting to the bottom of this now.

Trying numerous combinations of FX and have determined that LENS CORRECTION is my main culprit.

A 1 min GoPro clip WITH Lens correction takes 25 min to render. The same clip WITHOUT lens correction is 8 minutes!

......Use a different camera  or don't use the wide lens option on the GoPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌GoPro footage is difficult, at best.  I just rebuilt my i7 quad core into a 5960 8 core, 64 TB RAM, ASUS x99 with 8 striped 4 TB hard drives and a few SSDs, as well as two Nvidia cards, in part because I need to edit 1440 and 2160 GoPro footage with effects from time to time.  It was worse than multicam Red. It took 30 minutes to render a 60 second warp stabilized clip on my 'old' machine. 

I'm getting the new computer up to speed (CC still can't find reinstalled plugins, and it took a day to find, unlock then unhide files Windows locked when I copied parts of the old C-drive) hopefully the new computer will solve the GoPro problem.  I played with transcoding before editing but that seemed like a huge pain.  How anyone could do real editing of that stuff on a laptop is beyond me, and God forbid when 2160 (4k) is widespread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!!!! Thanks for the input. I don't feel so bad now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is still a disappointing stat.

The same clip WITHOUT lens correction is 8 minutes!

Yikes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this message from another user. Looks like GoPro footage is a real killer!:

GoPro footage is difficult, at best. I just rebuilt my i7 quad core into a 5960 8 core, 64 TB RAM, ASUS x99 with 8 striped 4 TB hard drives and a few SSDs, as well as two Nvidia cards, in part because I need to edit 1440 and 2160 GoPro footage with effects from time to time. It was worse than multicam Red. It took 30 minutes to render a 60 second warp stabilized clip on my 'old' machine.

I'm getting the new computer up to speed (CC still can't find reinstalled plugins, and it took a day to find, unlock then unhide files Windows locked when I copied parts of the old C-drive) hopefully the new computer will solve the GoPro problem. I played with transcoding before editing but that seemed like a huge pain. How anyone could do real editing of that stuff on a laptop is beyond me, and God forbid when 2160 (4k) is widespread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just shot a little Go Pro test and will now load it into my system.  PPro CC2014 , Windows 7.

Will get back to you shortly with what I discover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try lens correction with the test. I would really like to use that but that is what I found chokes PP to death!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK just did the test  (no Lens Correction)

Did this on my I7 Laptop ( single drive partitioned) - not my Workstation or usual NLE machine FWIW

20 sec test clip > export to High Bitrate YouTube Preset HD1080p = 28 seconds.

With Lens Correction Applied...it was indicating that it would take a long time.  Approx 12 minutes for the20 second export!!!

I go back to my suggestion - different camera or lens setting.  Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your input.

Yes, PP's GoPro lens correction is a real choker.

Most of my footage is going to be with my Canon 5D MKII and that seems to be a snap for PP.

I will just have to deal with the GoPro footage the best I can.

Thanks gain for your help!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rendered and exported 2 small clips equaling 1:23 in about 40 seconds....A RECORD!

I did all of the editing in the GoPro software and no FX in PP, however I did do a voice over in PP. The FPS were also converted down in the GoPro software. That is another issue that PP chokes on.

Pretty disappointed in PP rendering capacity. Still not sure I want to pay a monthly fee to Adobe for this. It isn't panning out the way I had hoped it would.

Was hoping to do ALL of my editing in PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines