• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Does Copy And Paste In Premiere Pro perform so poorly?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why you can't copy and paste footage (audio and/or video) into a chosen track on a sequence? It almost always pastes into a track with footage already there overlapping footage. It can't paste into a new track??? I thought this is simple logic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Same way i explained in first post, make sure the track is selected.

Select clip,

Crtl+C,

Switch sequence,

Select track, place playhead in desired position

Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Shift+V for insert).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Hey there – you might have luck by learning about track targeting! If I'm not paying attention to my targets, my timeline gets real messy real quick. 

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

FIXED my issue.  I was pasting a copied clip from another sequence, and although I had the track toggeled to the correct video track I wanted it to go, it would paste to the same track assignment from the original sequence. if I clicked paste from the edit drop down menu it would paste to the correctly assigned track, but using ctrl+v it would go to the original assigned track from the original sequence. I went to drop down menu EDIT >keyboard shortcuts> when the keyboard menu opens highlight th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know when this changed but this is not the correct answer until you edit your keyboard shortcuts and remove Paste To Same Track from Cmd +V. The default must have changed from track targeting to using the same track from where the clip was copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the default 'reversed' a version back. And yes, it caught most people by surprise. Unfortunately.

But once you understand and reset your keyboard shorts ... it's off to the races again. It's just that first shock that's rather painful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED my issue.  I was pasting a copied clip from another sequence, and although I had the track toggeled to the correct video track I wanted it to go, it would paste to the same track assignment from the original sequence. if I clicked paste from the edit drop down menu it would paste to the correctly assigned track, but using ctrl+v it would go to the original assigned track from the original sequence. I went to drop down menu EDIT >keyboard shortcuts> when the keyboard menu opens highlight the CTRL button, then the V button. At the bottom to the right it will show what's assigned. Mine had +PASTE and +PASTE TO SAME TRACK. I removed the latter and VIOLA no more issue with pasting to the wrong track!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just encountered this on a freshly installed Premiere. Why is this the default setting, Adobe? It's so dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For you, the default is "so dumb". But for some other users, this is by far the preferred option.

So no matter what they make the default, someone is gonna say "this is so dumb".

So go to the Preferences, where they have options for this behavior. And change it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's dumb is having both options selected as the default. Adobe can't even commit to one. I've never had to change this setting before, so I don't know what prompted the change in default. Personally, it makes no sense to automatically lock the paste function to the tracks of the original sequence, but it's doubly frustrating that it's obfuscated by this silly double fuction of command+v.

I've had no end of problems with this software in the years I've been using it, and it continues to impress me how many bugs I find and how many common sense things are made more difficult than they need to be.

Sincerely, a frustrated long-time customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand the frustration!

I can certainly see adding the new behavior as an option, and that for many users that is a HUGE benefit.

But changing default behaviors without the user getting a pretty decent heads-up it's changed, well ... that's not helpful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally fair point. Really, either option is perfectly valid. The real issue is adding it as a default when the standard for years has been a track-targeted paste (and also the fact that there are two default associated commands, which is just a lack of clarity). It's an end user communication problem.

At the end of the day, as long as you can change it fairly easily, no damage done. Grateful this string was easy to find! Thanks, all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, had never encountered this issue before. I was going absolutely insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! So dumb. Why do they change huge functional things like this. I thought I was going crazy. Thanks for your help yall!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! This new shortcut setting just added itself to the list in a recent update and was driving me mad. Glad it's an easy fix, but for something that gets used so frequently it's pretty annoying that this has been added as a default without much notice. Very confusing when fundamental preference stuff appears out of nowhere in updates, Dev Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! omg, this was so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been bugging me for a while now. I'm usually in a hurry to get it done that I just worked around it. BUT NOT ANYMORE!! Thank you!!

Someone at Adobe should get written up for this. Really frustrating and stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG.  I have been dealing with this for so long...just found your blurb and it worked.  Ty. You need to post this everywhere in all caps. All the googling I did and this never came up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! The same here. I googled too, I was confused that no one from the company had the proper fix, it's your software design!! When I figured out what was going on, I had to post it. Good luck!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android<>

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. It is intended solely for the named addressee(s). If you are not an addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to an addressee), you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments that does not relate to the official business of Fox Corporation, or its subsidiaries must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. No representation is made that this email or its attachments are without defect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! My Adobe default settings had this keybrd shortcut flaw as well. Lost an hour on this until I found your solution! How does something like this not get falgged and fixed by Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a change in a 'default behavior' ... and if you carefully read the release notes, you would have found it there.

But really ... how many users ever actually carefully read the full release notes? Not many I expect. As you have to go looking for them! And I don't think most users even know there are release notes!

NOT the best situation, eh?

Yea, a lot of people were discombobulated over this change.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! That's exactly what was happening to me and this resolved perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to solve this issue and this FINALLY did the trick. It really would be interesting why strg+v has the "paste to same track" attribute by default, it's not very logical nor convenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing this came from an often repeated request from users. I've had it explained why for certain users, this made far more sense than the old way. So the engineers changed behaviors.

For the rest of us, it's either illogical or didn't matter which way was the default ... so both camps there (Im in the don't matter group) were caught unaware and puzzled.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS!!! This saved my day. Very frustrating! Please highlight this so more people can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That worked. How does this monopoly of a company always screw things up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, they made this change because users requested it. Although they didn't do a great job informing the userbase of the change.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines