• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the minimum audio transition duration 2 frames?

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody know? I'm pretty certain it used to be 1 frame, and that's certainly the case with other NLE's. 2 frame transitions make tight dialoge cuts much more difficult, with stray dialogue often seeping though from the clip before or after. It seems like a very strange limitation to have given us.

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot set it to 1 frame in the Preferences

Probably to be able to set transition center.

But can set it to 1 frame in the timeline.

AnnBens_0-1649234754516.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I found that too. It's so odd that we can't set it to 1 frame in preferences. Normally, once I've cut my dialogue, I select all dialogue clips and hit shift+D, placing the default audio transition at the start and end of each clip in order to avoid clicks and pops. But with 2 frame transitions, I get a lot of bleed between clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't set the default duration to 1 frame, but I can set it to 0.03 seconds, which is the 1 frame equivalent for a 30 fps sequence. 

The only annoying thing is that you have to change the time duration for each sequence based on frame rate.

Unless 0.03 or 0.04 secs is close enough and prevents the bleed between clips no matter the frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know it was possible to set the duration in seconds. I completely missed the drop-down menu. Thanks so much - really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can even be set to 0.01 seconds in practise.

See screen grab.

Another way to get in even closer is to reset the sequence setting to audio samples, rather than frames in 'Sequence Settings'. This allows you to zoom in a lot closer too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some testing with this and I think that even though you can manually set the audio dissolve duration to 1 frame, it's actually just doing a 2 frame dissolve...  You can change the timeline to "show audio time units" which allows you to keyframe audio levels down to the individual sample level...  which will allow you to get really precise audio edits...

And you might consider sending stuff to Audition which has a more robust (if more complicated) interface for this kind of work.   I've included a screen shot showing how to set up "show audio time units" which is accessible via the hamburger menu at the top left of the sequence window.  If any of this is not clear, post back and I'll try and explain in more detail.  Haven't had enough coffee yet.  Just saw Neil's post so realized this is somewhat redundant.     show audio time units.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and just tested adjusting duration of a dissolve when you "show audio time units" and it allows you to set it to much smaller increments...  Ya learn something every day (or you should at least try).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines