• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will I loose quality exporting twice?

Participant ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got two edited (ready made) films that I want to edit into one film.

But the two films are very different when it comes to "layout" for the filmed material, sound, subtitles and so on. And it will create a huge file if I put all the material into one file (I´ve done that some time ago) and the machine now keeps showing the "beach ball/umbrella" all the time and it takes many minutes to save the project.

So.

My plan is to:

1. edit each one film at a time (not mix them into one project, just keep them in their original folders)

2. export each film in mp4-format (or other suitable format)

3. Import the two mp4-films in to a new project/timeline and edit them to one new film

4. Export this "new film" and distribute it

My qustions is:

- will I loose imagequality doing the double mp4-export?

- do you have any better suggestion for my workflow?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, a fin de que no pierdas calidad lo que podrias hacer es exportar en quicktime ProRess y asi mantienes la calidad de ambas.
Aunque podrias trabajar con los proyectos abiertos y mezclar las lineas de tiempo.

Saludos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Harold, I would suggest you do NOT use a long-GOP form like mp4/H.264/5 for the process.

Use Cineform, ProRes, or DNx variants that are at or above the data bitrate for your media. If you have a proper "digital intermediate" format/codec chosen, you should be able to go several generations without visual loss.

This is done in 'long form' major movies all the time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers. I decided to give the "fusioned" project a go. Maybe this was a stupid decision becasue a lot of saving/mouse pointer-problems has occured (I´ve started another thread for this problems). But there´s were I´m now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have previously created two separate videos 1920 x 1080(h.264).  I use Shutter Encoder's Merge feature.  It merges the videos without reincoding them.  It merges the videos quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was going to say what UserSince said. Shutter Encoder is the way to go. But also as Neil said, I would use a ProRes or Cineform export of the projects, then if you want, merge them together using Shutter Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My qustions is:

- will I loose image quality doing the double mp4-export?

Yes, you will suffer an unnecessary compression generation loss.  

- do you have any better suggestion for my workflow?

Yes, use ProRes 422 Proxy for step 1 and step 2 and step 3 for both source footage settings and Sequence Video Preview settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines