• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

YouTube upload 59.94 fps vs 60fps

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably seems like a simple question but...

YouTube recommends (amongst others) 60 fps upload

I am shooting sports videos in 59.94 fps. Should I upload them in 59.94 fps to YouTube or use PR to change to 60 fps before upload?

Which would have the higher quality video?

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which would have the higher quality video?

By @Jon5D6C

Neither, but best is to keep original framerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a fairly knowledgeable colorist tell me that "60fps" is like unto the "30fps" in some cameras ... it's actually 29.976, but the "shorthand" is 30. And that he hadn't seen any footage that was actually, precisely, 60fps.

So I'm wondering is he correct? Is '60fps' just a shorter way of saying "59.94fps"?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were delivering what's called "frames as fields" for broadcast, it would matter which frame rate you use between 59.94 and 60; however, for YouTube it doesn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line, "amongst others" includes their statement that the original framerate is best. I assume  your 59.94 is progressive; is it?

But, similar to Neil, I think they are ignoring the 30 vs 29.97 vs 59.94 vs 60 etc.

What they say is:

"Content should be encoded and uploaded in the same frame rate it was recorded.

Common frame rates include: 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 frames per second (other frame rates are also acceptable).

Interlaced content should be deinterlaced before uploading. For example, 1080i60 content should be deinterlaced to 1080p30. 60 interlaced fields per second should be deinterlaced to 30 progressive frames per second."

The "common frame rates" are 29.97, 59.94, and 23.976. So I don't think they are stating a preference for 60 over 59.94,  unless that is what you shot.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am filming in 59.94p before editing with PR.

Specfically I am considering purchasing the Sony fx3 to film my YouTube videos and recording using the following settings, advice welcome:

H.264, XAVC S 4K 59.94p/50p 150Mbps 4:2:0 8bit MPEG-4 AVC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What ever camera you are using/will choose, YT will re-encode.

I would not waist good money just for Youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd opt for a camera that can record ProRes.

Shoot ProRes.  Edit ProRes.  Upload ProRes.

As far as frame rates go, it's common for professional videographers to shoot 23.976 or 29.97 for sync sound (like interviews) and 48 or 60 for non-sync sound (usulaly b-roll).  They'll also take the time to record a few minutes of ambient sound at each location.  With the range of source, the editor is empowered to focus on telling the story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I have is I need to send the video to someone who edits it, so the file size is an issue so always trying to be efficient with both file size and editing time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jon,

Warren said it did not matter in the case of a YouTube upload. I would compare file sizes with sample files using the two frame rates in a test and see if there is much difference. That should help guide your workflow decision. I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines