• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for Nikon NRaw

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please get support for Nikon's NRAW codec? Resolve and Edius already have it cooked up and ready to go. This reactive rather proactive approach to codec integration is really disappointing. First it was Prores RAW (still ongoing issues) and now NRAW. How about Adobe show Nikon shooters a bit of love here?
Idea Started Locked
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Hi all, 

I would like to let people here know that we have paused work on adding N-RAW support to our video products. When we have an update to share on potential future support for N-RAW, we will update this thread. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
69 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

无法支持尼康z9 raw视频,.NEV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How a company like Blackmagic and its Resolve software, who charges a low one-time fee for their sofware, can have it ready before the NRAW codec is actually released to camera and Adobe, who we pay a monthly subscription to, takes over a year to even consider implementation absolutely blows my mind. Very disappointed with management on the Adobe side. How do I get a job there? Doesn't seem like I would need to work hard. Is the speed of business a totally alien concept to your team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nraw support is needed for me to stay as a customer. (Z9 owner)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well @Christoph Malin. if "DR is so much better" I doubt supporting NRAW will make a big difference (the faction of NRAW users in the total of potentially Premiere users is anecdotally very small). I guess following your logic, Adobe should bring Premiere closer to Resolve in other dimensions for it to remain a "creative crowd" favorite. no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NRAW support is essential. Lightroom and Photoshop are the last Adobe Apps I use. Premiere was always great to work with the last like 10 years, but since I finally had to move from Premiere to Resolve because of NRAW, there are very few regrets since Davinci is on many levels much better.
I’d highly suggest to Adobe to start supporting NRAW sooner than later. While NRAW users are of course not the Majority, the general move to DR in the creative crowd is bigger than ever, and supporting NRAW would help people to stay with Premiere. Have a nice Day!
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RONALD Lee. Thanks for your message (below), yet I think it proves my point; this being, we are being a little bit disingenuous bluffing "if you dont add NRAW support, I am leaving for Resolve", because we had left or will leave regardless for the very reason the youtube videos you suggest enlist.... but that is just my 2 cents.

happy holidays everyone.

== Ronald Lee
@JosE, just go to Youtube, type in this keyword phrase "Why I left Premiere to Davinci Resolve" and other similar keywords.

I was amongst a group of all Premiere Pro users and when Premiere started not listening to customers everyone switched. I'm just the last one/lastest one to switch.

Fergus has said he doesn't want to support NRAW. Full stop. What else really is there to say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We, I would like to add that I have NOT left for Davinci. I have used it, see the pros but Premiere is better for my workflow. However, it is tempting to leave and re-learn everything for NRAW. I don't get why Adobe cannot support NRAW. Is it because of the pending lawsuit?? The fact is I feel I am being deliberately PUSHED away from Premiere (and other Adobe products... some recent changes to Bridge have been awful, though luckily old version exist... but I digress).

Please add NRAW support or at least give us a timetable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone ! If you could contact TicoRAW there https://www.intopix.com/fasttico-raw-cpu-gpu-sdks

and ask them to send Autokroma a SDK for Nikon RAW we might be able to help ! They will listen to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a z9 user. Premiere Pro is a paid service.
If I can't request Nikon's n raw support from a paid service, is Premiere Pro a worthwhile editing program for me?
An editing program should be able to support a small number of cameras by default, so isn't that the reason why consumers pay money?
This is why Adobe needs to actively support n raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came up for renewal. I have decided that Premiere Pro does not offer a competitive advantage I need to my business. 8K60 is a standard that is very lucrative right now. Every day you post and wait here, is at a premium during this window. This is done costing me money. I'm happy to pay the one time fee with Resolve, relearn everything, and find an alternative to Photoshop so I can complete the user experience lifecycle with Adobe here. Cradle to grave they say... Plus side I have my New Years resolution now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fergus,

I'd definitely add my vote to Z9 support in Ae and Premiere. We have 3 of the Z9's now shooting on a movie and would love to be able to use the N-Raw (.NEV) workflow in an Adobe pipeline. Is there any update on support for the codec?

We think it's going to be an important format for future VFX pipelines, as it's lightweight and build to handle video up to 21K res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I said three months ago that I would provide an update when I had more information to share.

While I don't have an update on when Z9 support is coming (other than to say it is not in 2022), I wanted to let you know that I do look at this thread and the Formats section of UserVoice regularly, usually daily.

While our list of priorities, is not exactly the order of popularity of the requests on this forum, it is close and you can see that there are several things we need to do that have a higher priority than N-RAW support.

I know that is frustrating to Z9 owners but I would rather be candid and open with you.

As before, I will provide an update when I have more information to share.

Regards,

Fergus

--------------

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback on N-RAW. It is a format we are interested in supporting but we don't currently have date for when that will happen. II will provide an update when I have more information to share.

Note: There were a couple of comments in the thread about ProRes RAW, including some useful tips. I have deleted those, as I want to make sure that this thread is dedicated to N-RAW. There is a separate thread regarding improving support for ProRes RAW.

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback on N-RAW. It is a format we are interested in supporting but we don't currently have date for when that will happen. II will provide an update when I have more information to share.

Note: There were a couple of comments in the thread about ProRes RAW, including some useful tips. I have deleted those, as I want to make sure that this thread is dedicated to N-RAW. There is a separate thread regarding improving support for ProRes RAW.

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I desperatley need NRAW support for my Z9 to process 8K and 4k 120. Please, I beg you to add in if you can. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, we need Nikon's NRAW Codec on Premiere PRO !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just picked up a Z9. If I have to learn another software just to convert the video for use in Premiere, I'll just use the other software instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MrFaustie  congrats on the Z9. You dont have to shoot in NRAW, so no really a need to use other software. Premiere limitation is only on that codec. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club. I would also not use Nikon's LUTs, they suck. Use this one I made... https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgzd88tk19n9a3g/Z9_NLog_to_rec709_Resolve_CM_v1.0.cube?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I used this LUT to match my Z9 footage to my RED footage for an Oscars commercial. Barely took any work to get them matching. It's an awesome NLog LUT. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user here to state that I will be opting to cancel my Adobe subscription from renewal (outside of the basic photography bundle) and move to another piece of software for filmmaking to accomodate using NRaw with my two Nikon Z9's. Even the RAW still image handling in LR is lackluster compared to other pieces of software, it feels like Z9 professionals are being told go figure it out elsewhere and we are not important enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the last time, you dont have to use NRAW to be a professional or to use
a Z9.

I am all for having NRAW support but I keep feeling we are all
exaggerating our response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please give us support for Nikon's N-RAW format. DaVinci Resolve has it, which is what I was forced to use for now, but I would love to be able to go back to Premiere Pro as soon as N-RAW is supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a bit? But Adobe/Premiere is a service I(we) pay for. It's not something we owe any kind of allegience to. 

We don't have to shoot in raw, you are correct, but given the option why not do so? The only limiting factors are storage space (getting cheaper every day) and whether the software we use supports it. I'm sure there are people that shoot JPEG only with their Z9s, but that doesn't mean LR shouldn't support NEF files. 

My workflow for stills has started adding in other software that has features LR has weaknesses in (noise removal anyone?). If other options for video editing exist that provide features not found with Premiere, features that as of yet have no signs of being implemented, but also include its own full suite of very high quality editing software why not move on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"for the last time, you dont have to use NRAW to be a professional or to use a Z9."

I want to be clear that this is not Adobe's opinion. We 100% understand the appeal of raw in general (we've recently dramatically improved the support of Arri's ARRIRAW format and RED's R3D format) and specifically with raw on the Z9, where there are capabilities that are only available in raw. 

I don't have an update on an ETA for support N-RAW (which I am well aware is what people on this thread are looking for) but I do completely understand why it is important to Z9 customers and it is on our radar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate