• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline Snap options

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now the timeline Snap feature has no options - it works for all assets, and clips snap not to each other, but to TRANSITIONS, leaving gaps and unsynced layers, it's very annoying. Users have to manually check every clip for whether it snapped to other clip's border, or to it's transition border.

It would be great to have an option to disable Snap for transitions or for keyframes or for other types of assets, like we have in "Snap to" feature in Effect Controls panel.

Link to the discussion on Adobe forums https://forums.adobe.com/message/10377154
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is much needed option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Snap sometimes is annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I need to zoom all the way in to make sure a clip has aligned with another clip, not one frame to the side aligned with a 2-frame audio crossfade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be able to disable snapping to markers too. I can hide clip markers from the timeline but everything still snaps to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. The company I work for is switching over to Avid because of silly inconveniences like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never once in my decade of using Premiere have I wanted the timeline to snap to transitions. I would kill for a way to disable this annoying feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Endorsed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, (Adobe please read) snapping should only act upon the edit point of the selected clip CLOSEST to the mouse cursor.

I'll describe the problem that I'm sure we all face.

Say you have an interview cut on V1, it's 30 cuts over 2 minutes - so lots of cuts

You have B Roll on V2 is 20 clips spread out.

Now let's say you select 5 B Roll clips on V2 and need to move them left or right.

What happens is that EVERY cut in the B Roll snaps to EVERY cut in the Interview. You end up with the clips trying to snap to multiple locations all in a small space. What you really wanted to happen is for only the START of the FIRST B Roll clip be the snap-able point.

Easy way around this is to let the user decide - if I click and hold the mouse next to an edit point, that becomes the only snap-able point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup these are my 2 biggest annoyances. I wish I can weaken the power of the snap. I spend so much time trying to line things up to where I want it instead of where it wants to go. My other YELL OUT LOUD annoyance is when I right click a clip and it only gives me that useless menu with only 2 to 3 items on it. So I have to stop zoom in then right click again so I can get the full menu. Premiere is awesome software but these 2 things make me want to throw my mouse through my monitor. Edits that could be 5 minutes turn out to be 30 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please give us the option to disable for audio transitions. When I chop up dialogue I add a 2 frame audio transition to smooth it all out. But if I'm adding assets above, say a video bug, or a graphic, it will snap to that one or two frame transition, so if I'm not keeping an eye on things I'll have a graphic that skips a frame or two. Very frustrating and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand this correct? Is there NO WAY to tun OFF that annoying SNAP thingy that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to adjust video and images to audio tracks??? I have been looking for where to turn this OFF for hours, but cant find no nothing other than a horseshoe that dont make any differense:

If it is so, i will CANCEL my subscription with ADOBE if confirmed, because either someone has been sleeping while making this proggie, or the proggie is WAY under par.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morten Bredal
There is a way to turn snapping off. The default shortcut is "S."
This feature request is about getting more options for what is and is not included in that snapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agreed.

I can't remember an instance where I needed to snap a clip to the edge of a transition, specially when that transition is on an audio track. I use a lot of 2 to 3 frames transitions on dialogue, and you can imagine the frustration I face with snapping.

@morten Bredal
It is very simple to toggle snapping ON of OFF, the default shortcut is "S" and there is a magnet button on the timeline that does that too. This topic is about adding options to the snap feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sami I snap to transitions occasionally. But I still totally want the OPTION to turn that functionality off. The 2-3 frame transitions sound AWFUL for the current snapping behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marker snapping options would be particularly helpful. Being able to enable ONLY snap to markers or being able to disable Snap to markers (especially when they're hidden!) is something I would use many times per day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would save me so much time zooming in and out of my timeline and adjusting clips that have snapped to the border of a transition (which I NEVER have used intentionally, EVER). Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I trim I wish the video clips would come/snap together too! I don't think I want to continue using this app if they do not add it. Its such a time waster having to make sure each one of my clips are connected after trimming.... Its annoying and I hate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tyrese Taylor
are you using just regular trim, rather than RIPPLE trim, which does keep the clips snapped together?
Try it - I believe it is on Q and W by default. Or you can use the ripple trim tool. It's yellow instead of red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I have no idea why, when moving a clip, it would assume I want to snap it to the beginning of a transition. I imagine 99% of the time people are trying to align it with the beginning/end of another clip. Please make it so we can adjust the snap behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please improve snap! Even without options, I never want to snap to a transition. Even without a transition it wants to snap 2 frames off the cut. This would make such a difference if snap was better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pure insanity that we still have to beg for this feature after years of complaints. What worse is that, like many have stated, there's no conventional use for snapping-to-transition. Utter madness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later... still waiting... in nearly 30 years of editing "non-linear" (yeah I'm old) I've never needed to have a clip snap to a transition on another layer. This is currently a not insignificant PITA where I have to trim a bug to not appear over certain scenes and I'm forever zooming in to make sure there's not a 1 frame overhang where it's snapping to the start or end of a 2 frame audio transition which I/we (a team of 18 editors) use all the time to smooth out occasional pops at the start/end of a clip and tight SOT edits

FFS Adobe, either make snap not work for transitions or allow us to turn on/off snap to transitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so sick of this - will be trying Resolve soon. So many great features in Premiere Pro but the fact that I have to keep zooming in to the timeline to check this is so painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a must.

Votes

Translate

Translate