Why is it?

Snipaste_2020-05-09_19-10-05.png

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YUV color is split into three components, the Y being brightness, the U being Green/Magenta axis, the V being yellow blue axis.

It's not something that most editors ... or even most colorists ... ever work in. Stay with the Parade in RGB ...

The Waveform I do tend to like in YC/no chroma mode, but that's to get a contrasting view of the media to an also-showing Parade RGB.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R_Neil_Haugen

Y :Brightness
U :Green/Magenta
V :Yellow blue

L:Brightness
A :Green/Magenta
B :Yellow blue

What is the difference between YUV and LAB? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you asking why is it displayed that way, or what is the use of such a display?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Meg_The_Dog  Both. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have a bunch of clips that need a fast color clean up - for a rough cut, for example -  the RGB parade in YUV is useful to quickly set the Exposure (Luminance, Shadow, Contrast) and get the correct Temperatre of a clip. When you adjust the Temperature, the two values you are adjusting are side by side in the YUV display, which makes it easier to see when they are balanced.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meg,

I'd love more info about the way you're using that. I've never heard of anyone using it before, and many comments about the uselessness of that scope. I've played with it some, and ... well, couldn't see any use.

I'd love to see how you work with it. More info is always (almost, that is) more better ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huali,

Look up each online ... LAB is a "perceived" color-space process for manipulating the image within an application. YUV is the sub-sampling process used for separating the data for transmission or storage. The concepts look somewhat similar but in reality have nothing in common.

I work with colorists on a daily basis. I am a regular contributing author on a major colorist's teaching subscription site. The use of a wide variety of scopes are a regular part of the discussions of the colorist's trade. And no one talks of using the Parade in YUV for anything.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines