Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Post-processing mods not showing

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH2015 | WebHelp | WebHelp Pro

I have several modified files that I apply to my WebHelp outputs after I compile. I use these to customise the look and feel. However, when I apply these files to a WebHelp Pro output and publish to RoboServer, the modifications are not applied. The output looks fine when I run it locally, but not when I view the project from the server.

Why is RoboServer ignoring these updated files? Is there a way around this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking for my comprehension:

1) Compile WebHelp

2) Apply customizations to output

3) publish to RoboServer

When you publish to RoboServer, are you re-generating the output through RoboHelp or are you copying the output folder with your customizations applied to a folder on the RoboServer?

If you are re-generating your WebHelp output, your customizations are probably wiped out.

And I'm curious - what customizations to the "look and feel" are you doing that cannot be done through the RoboHelp UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jonathan

prhmusic2 has the right idea.

Remember, Rh 2015 has two workflows for Rh Server:

1. The original way of assigning a WebHelp Skin (existing or using the WebHelp Skin Editor) and using the WebHelp Pro as a single source layout.
  2. If you want to use the new Responsive Layout using the layouts and layout editor for modifications, then you would create a Responsive HTML5 layout and assign the appropriate Responsive Layout. Then you publish to the RoboHelp Server as usual.

In either case, every time you use the generate command, it automatically "flushes out" the output folder before re-generating the new content. So any modifications are wiped out. If you go "doctoring" and editing the Output files, I'm not sure what the consequences are, but my first couple of tests did not work either! Not sure if some caching may be at work.

Because I am going to be talking to Adobe engineering about a few things, please email me directly and describe your exact workflow and the nature of the modifications.

Thanks
john

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John

Just to clarify, I'm still using a WebHelp skin for my WebHelp Pro layout. What happens is that after generating the WebHelp Pro output I copy my modified files into the output folder, e.g. whstart.js, whtbar.js, whtdhtml.htm, etc. If I then double-click my start page (index.htm) the output opens and looks just fine. However, if I then publish to RoboServer and view the project from the server the modified files are not applied.

Apparently, when you open locally it runs WebHelp in FTP mode, but when opened through the server console it runs in different mode to include server functionality. This is what's causing the modified files to be ignored.

I'm not sure why this should occur, but it means at the moment I cannot use my modified WebHelp with RoboServer.

I'll email you direct with more details.

Regards

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp