• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2020: TOC Browse Sequence Not Displaying in Published Responsive HTML Help

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When publishing in RH 2015, the navigation path from the TOC displayed in the topics as shown below. Our users were able to click in the sequence to move back.  

In our RH 2020 project, I created a Browse Sequence from the TOC and assigned it in the Output Preset. Publishing with the Azure Blue skin, it added left and right arrows that seem to move randomly through topics. The actual clickable sequence isn't displayed. I've searched but am not finding settings for this. Can someone suggest a solution?  

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helps if you use the photo icon to insert images within the post. Seeing an image inline with the text makes it easier for anyone answering or viewing the post.

When you create a browse sequence from the TOC it should be in TOC order. You can see the sequence in the Browse Sequence editor, left panel.

Please show us an example of where the buttons are going to a different topic than shown in the browse sequence.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the posting tip.  I think I see what is happening.  When I click the back arrow, instead of moving to the previous topic in the current TOC location, it's moving back from the first instance of the topic in an earlier section of the TOC. This is consistent with how the Browse Sequences present.  This topic appears in multiple sections in the TOC - this is the list of topics from the first book it appears in. 

BS_firstinstance.png

I started from Module: Patient > Exam (Medical Records) > SQL Worklists.  The previous topic is Shortcuts and Right Click Options

RH2020_grab1.png

Back arrow took me to the topic Customize Query Report which is above SQL Worklists in the TOC > Module: Data Mining > SQL Worklists. This is consistent with the first time the topic is listed in the Browse Sequences. 

RH2020_grab2.png

We're trying to replicate the option we had in RH 2015 where the user could click on a link in the navigation path to back up to the previous level in the TOC.  In this instance, back to any place in the sequence Home > Module: Patient > Exam (Medical Records).  Maybe Browse Sequences is not the tool for this - or it's no longer possible? 

RH2015Navigation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature in your last image is called 'breadcrumbs'. You would add the breadcrumbs placeholder to your master page (if you're not using a master page already, I recommend creating one, otherwise you would need to add the breadcrumbs placeholder to every topic.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what is happening is that each topic has information telling it what is previous in the browse sequence and it only allows one topic. For example, the sequence is:

Topic One

Topic Two

Topic Three

Topic Four

Topic Five.

Topic Two knows it has to jump to Topic One. Your problem is that if you repeat Topic Two say before Topic Five in the sequence, it jumps to Topic Two and when the user clicks again, Topic Two knows Topic One is next. It has no knowledge that it is a second instance in the sequence.

I think the only way you will get around this is to create a redirect topic as described on my site in the merged help topics. Add the redirect

You would add the redirect topic to the TOC to get it in the build and add it to the browse sequence instead of a second instance of Topic Two. The redirect would be set up to go to Topic Four. When the user clicks the redirect it will open Topic Four as required.

I think either RoboHelp should not allow you to use a topic twice to force you to use the above topic (which I think was the case in Classic versions) or code it to work with more than one instance of a topic.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information.  

If I could get the breadcrumbs to work, I could forego the next/back topic navigation. I do have a master page and the breadcrumbs property was no longer visible on it after the 2015>2020 ugprade.  

I used the placeholder icon to re-add it and generated the project. May not have added it properly.  I'm not seeing the breadcrumbs on topics assigned to the master page.

Master page:

masterpage.png

Breadcrumbs_grab1.png

This topic is assigned to the Master page but is not displaying the breadcrumbs. 

Breadcrumbs_grab2.png

Opened in Edge 

Breadcrumbs_grab3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you selected the master page in your preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have.  Is it problematic that the master page is First_Topic.htt and I also have a First_Topic.htm that is the default topic in the preset?

Preset for Psych Advantage build

MP_preset.png

Preset_content.png

Add an Appointment topic showing Master Page connection. Note that Welcome is topic title 'Welcome' and File Name 'First_Topic.htm'.

Breadcrumbs_grab2.png

Generated Psych Help showing Add an Appointment topic - no breadcrumbs

Generated_nobreadcrumbs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest version of RH2020? At the time of writing it's Update 7.

If you have the first release (2020.0) then the Help > Updates function doesn't work and you'll need to download the patch manually (once you install the patch, Help > Updates will work for subsequent updates. You can download the patch here: https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/robohelp-downloads.html

Also, try adding the breadcrumbs placeholder in the header section of the master page (click the Header icon in the toolbar). In RH Classic, it needed to be in the header, otherwise it would only appear for new topics, not existing topics. This doesn't appear to be the case in RH2019 New UI (that is, I added it in the body section and it appeared in an existing topic when I generated the output). However, maybe they reverted the behaviour in RH2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we updated from 2020.0 to 2020.6.76 on January 10th. That took us to .4 and then we used the Help > Check for Updates tool to move up to .6.  At some point during those operations, a number of our topics were dumped to 0 bytes and I had to recreate the content. 

This afternoon I updated to 2020.7.46.  Will try repositioning the breadcrumbs placeholder in the master

page and see if it makes a difference.  

thx 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol. I just repeated my test of placing the breadcrumb placeholder in the body section in RH2019 New UI and this time it didn't work. I love when tests behave differently. 😛

So hopefully adding the breadcrumb in the header section will work correctly for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did at that and I thank you for the coaching. Noticing some formatting differences between the versions.

In RH 2015, the steps in the breadcrumb path were underlined and had spaces between them: ' > '. This made it more obvious that they were separate and clickable. Any chance that there's a setting for that in 2020?

2020 - after Home, the steps are separated by '>' without spaces.

Breadcrumbs.png

2015: each step is separated by space > space and the steps are underlined. 

breadcrumbs2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the missing space, it's probably in the properties for the placeholder. To access it, open the master page, click inside the breadcrumbs placeholder, then use the html tag navigator at the top of the topic to select the "Breadcrumbs" entry. 

Once you've selected the correct tag, you'll see the Breadcrumbs properties in the General section. Probably the Separator field doesn't include spaces on either side of the '>'

Note: This screenshot is from RH2019. The wording and user interface is a little different in RH2020 but the general areas are the same (give or take the use of icons instead of understandable words).

Amebr_0-1643083817342.png

For the hyperlinks, RH2020 might allow you to set the formatting through the properties panel - I think this might be one area that has changed from RH2019. Check through the available fields to see if you can find something that references 'a' or 'hyperlink'. You might be able to use the arrow key to move through the characters displayed in the placeholder until you find a 'Type' of 'hyperlink' or something. (If you click immediately to the right of '>', for example, you will see that the 'Type' changes to 'separator'.)

If not, then you will need to use the browser Developer Tools to inspect the output and find the correct style to add to your topic stylesheet. If you can't find anything in the user interface (and Peter doesn't have any suggestions when he comes online) then I can show you an example from RH2019 Responsive HTML5 output that might help you locate the correct style in your outut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We were able to add spaces before and after ' > ' in the Separator field within the Master Page properties panel.  These updated the source and added the spaces in the generated Help. Haven't figured out how to show the steps as clickable links as of yet.  

Master Page > Breadcrumbs > Separator

breadcrumbs_separator.png

Generated Help Build

breadcrumbs_generated.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp