• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2020 Microsoft HTML (CHM) files not loading in help file via software help calls (F1)

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am a new to RoboHelp (and new to HAT software in general). I have inherited a large RoboHelp Help File that was upgraded to RoboHelp 2020. Our help file consists of 23 projects, with a master project that includes links to 22 child html files in the TOC.  The output from RoboHelp is Microsoft HTML (CHM).  The calls from our software use the following format:  <masterprojectname>.chm::/<childprojectname>.chm

The issue I am experiencing is when loading the help file via F1 within my software, I get the following message (see attachment). This is happening everywhere in my software, F1 no longer works where it had before.  Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix?

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is error message to avoid clicking on link:

JulieS_0-1633535948737.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that either the CHM is on a network or been downloaded from one.

• If it is the latter I think you right click the file in Explorer and there is a checkbox that selecting or deselecting will fix.
  • If you are trying to open it on a network, good luck. Microsoft stopped that 17 years ago. 🙂 See CHM Files Not Working on Network (grainge.org)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thank you for your quick response.  The .chm files are part of a software build that is installed on a user's local computer drive when they install the software.  You mentioned a checkbox that selecting will fix the issue?  Could you provide more info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, just to add, everything used to work until upgrading to RoboHelp 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at a RoboHelp machine right now. If you locate the CHM file in Explorer and select Properties, you should see this check box.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.  Are you referring to the unblock checkbox? Because if so, I don't see that option for some reason when I right-click and select properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That changes things. What version of 2020, see Help > Updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there were some issues with CHMs in earlier versions but they were fixed to the best of my knowledge. I was about to say I didn't have any further ideas but then one thing occurred to me. I saw that message when the target topic was not in the output.

When you said the output was working before, was that back in Classic or in this version? If it was Classic, I am wondering if a major change to what goes into an output may be the cause. In Classic everything not excluded by tags went in. Now only what is in the TOC goes in. It's all explained at RH2020 The Table of Contents (grainge.org).

Maybe the topic concerned is not in the build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure it was the Classic version. I will read the link you provided and let you know what I find.  Thanks again, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Julie-S did you regenerate using the RH2020 patch 6 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, are you asking if I have regenerated the .chm files since I upgraded to RH2020 patch 6?  The answer is yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parent first? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, maybe not.  Let me try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that did not resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pretty sure there was a post in the last couple of weeks with the same error message. Not sure if it was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp