• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

clunky forums

Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2014 Jul 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I tell if new posts have been added to a thread I've already read?

How can I tell who the latest poster in a thread is?

Why is it that an outfit the size of Adobe with some of the best software on the planet has some of the clunkiest forums on the internet?  C'mon.  Fix it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dobro,

If you use the Discussions view, threads with new posts, or editions, are shown in bold.

They are working on getting the latest poster shown again.

Was the last question a question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.  Bold, eh?  Okay.  It would be better if it was a different color.  The difference between bold and normal font is minimal.

Re: last question.  More of a complaint, actually.  I've seen small sites with phpBB that are better featured and more pleasant to use than anything Adobe's come up with for about as long as I can remember.

Thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 02, 2014 Aug 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

If you use the Discussions view, threads with new posts, or editions, are shown in bold.

New posts since when ? If I can't mark all threads as read as in any other forum, what means new ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bold style in Content > Discussions indicates either a new thread has appeared since your last visit to that Community, or a new reply has been posted to a thread you've previously viewed (within the past month).

Note that the style only works on the Discussions table, not the All Content table or any of the aggregation widgets on the overview pages. In SBS7 you are supposed to track (un)read status via your Streams, not on the forum itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

The bold style in Content > Discussions indicates either a new thread has appeared since your last visit to that Community, or a new reply has been posted to a thread you've previously viewed (within the past month).

Sorry but this doesn't work that way. Even if I sign out / sign in, most thread titles remain in bold even if they are not new since my last visit or if no message has been added to the thread. The only way to have a thread title not in bold is to open it.

Anyway, a simple "Mark all as read" button is a basic feature that belongs to any decent forum. It should be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "mark all read" feature is handled by your inbox Streams, not within the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

The "mark all read" feature is handled by your inbox Streams, not within the forums.

Which is the awkwardest way to handle this . Why make it simple when it can be complicated?

Any clue about what they are smoking at Jive ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big company making bad decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As stated in several other threads, we are stuck with Jive for ever, because it would be impossible to migrate all the info to another software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I tell if new posts have been added to a thread I've already read?

How can I tell who the latest poster in a thread is?

1) the easiest way is to subscribe to the thread you have posted to.  When you subscribe, you will get a copy of any new posts in that thread.  Apart from this, there is no other "easy"way to tell because your inbox on Adobe forums is likely to contaion about 50 posts at any one time and nobody can ever read them all.

2) At present you can't tell who the last poster is.  However, if you go to the Forums overview page, you will see something like this:

2014-07-27_2047.png

As you can see, there one poster already on your thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. In my browser, I don't see what your post is displaying.  If I toggle between Overview and Content views, they're almost identical.   I don't see Recent Activity with the staggered posts.  I'd like to, though.  How do you do that?

Comment: why toggle between pages and views at all?  Why not have everything on one page the way it's done with phpBB forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I've figured it out.  I get that view of posts if I go into my inbox.  However, my inbox is full of a bunch of junk that I've never viewed and am not interested in.  It's like Spamland.  Is there a way to only subscribe to threads I've viewed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay #2: I think I've figured it out.  If I want to know what's happening in threads I'm interested in, I follow them in my Connections Stream, is that right?  But then what possible purpose does Inbox and Activity serve, aside from filling up with a bunch of stuff I never want to see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how do you edit a post?  What am I missing this time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2014 Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dobro,

You (have to) click the Actions button at the bottom left, wait, wait, edit, click Save Reply, wait, wait (and ignore any writing in red), and if the post is still unchanged, you (once again have to) click the Actions button at the bottom left, wait, wait (and ignore any writing in red), edit, click Save Reply, wait, wait, and see whether you are done.

If the writing in red is very persistent, you may have been logged out; that happens from time to time. You may copy the edited post and insert it when you have been logged in again (after waiting another while).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2014 Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's now a detailed User Manual for the Adobe Community - hopefully it will explain all your questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines