Exit

Extra line in quotations

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I am getting this extra line at the beginning of quotations:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

And I would say that messages from other people are also showing this, which had been corrected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

And I would say that messages from other people are also showing this, which had been corrected.

Just in case, this is what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Just in case, this is what I mean.

I have been getting these extra lines ever since I started posting in these forums.  However, they are not a regular occurences and I suspect it occurs when we selectively delete the quoted message.  I haven't tried what happens when the message is quoted in full.  I shall try soon.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have quoted both full and edited versions.  Have never seen those lines.

Firefox browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get estra lines, whether creating a post, a

nswering post, quoting a Post. They probably are formed when j

ust looking at a post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No extra lines in Chrome, at least not yet!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as Curt: never seen them no matter what, FF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Same as Curt: never seen them no matter what, FF.

I had them this morning when posting from Explorer.. This time I'm using Safari.

Not there.

Addition: I have just tested again in Explorer (in the Tests forums), and didn't get it either. It was only this morning, after perhaps months without getting them.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: Addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But now that I am back in Explorer, the extra line sud

denly appeared! Here and there:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2928792#2928792

(and it wasn't there immediately after posting).

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: corrected wrong link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something queer in here. I made a series of tests here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/668958?tstart=0

and I didn't manage to get the extra line just by moving from Safari to Explorer. I only got them when quoting using Explorer.

And yes, I am quite sure that I posted my message #7 above using Safari, and that the extra line wasn't there immediately after posting, as I wrote. It only appeared after closing Safari and opening Explorer to write message #8. But I couldn't replicate this effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 6/27/2010 2:03 PM:

This issue was discussed and a workaround was established in

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2471979#2471979 Since you participated

in that thread I wonder why you are bringing this up again without

providing any new relevant input. Is the workaround not working for you?

Do you have any relevant observations to suggest that the conclusions

we arrived at are incorrect? Is there any reason to bring this up again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this is a  completely new problem.

This may be related but not the same.

This is an extra line (and he even showed the code the forum was throwing in when you quoted material). This is in "addition" to the existing problem.

I wish you'd quit treating us like boring little bugs, and take our concerns seriously. You act like its a pain to even monitor this forum. If a new problem crops up, even if looks like a duck but actually is a goose instead, you as the head monitor's responsibility is to report it to proper channels. We can't help it if we don't know as much as you do. Not everyone has the same amount of intelligence.

But this is what this Forum Comments is about, expressing concerns about the forum, so eventually something will be done about it.

The workaround may be similar. But it is a different Problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a new thread for three simple reasons:

1. I did not find the old thread the first time I tried using the hardly functional Search function of these forums, and I therefore decided to try to find it manually.

2. Unfortunately, the thread was too far back to search for it manually going back one page at a time, so I gave up after 3-4 pages.

3. I am too old to keep remembering all the many workarounds one is supossed to have at one's fingertips to be able to use these forums.

Plus the title of the thread, as I see now, does nor precisely indicate that the problem of the extra line appearing in quotations is covered in it.

If my opening of this new thread because I started getting the effect again all of a sudden and without any apparent cause perturbs you so much, you are free to delete it; you are the boss. Kindly note, however, that in the course of my tests, I had an experience I don't recall having seen posted, and which I couldn't replicate afterwards, as I reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember the days when people were friendly and polite to each other.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

All I can say is that I was asked direct questions, and I tried to

answer them politely -or at least, nor impolitely. If I failed, I apologize.

Extra line break kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

All I can say is that I was asked direct questions, and I tried to

answer them politely -or at least, nor impolitely. If I failed, I apologize.

Claudio you must know I am not referring to you at all. You are the embodiment of good breeding and politeness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John: thanks. I know, but others may not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do too, even the Monitors were as well unless the person was doing something outragous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are still as polite and friendly to each other in their own ways.  It is the perception of people these days to interpret gestures in their own ways.

Are you specifically referring to anything that can be commented upon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 6/28/2010 2:38 PM:

1. I did not find the old thread the first time I tried using the hardly functional Search function of these forums, and I therefore decided to try to find it manually.

You have added a quote to the message that started this thread.

Searching for that exact quote in this forum returned 9 (now 10)

results. I find it very reasonable to expect people to browse 9 threads

before starting a 10th and apply the knowledge from those threads to

their own situation.

And I especially expect that from people who themselves point out

duplicate threads from others and / or have participated in previous

discussions on the specific subject they are posting about. (If you

broaden the search and include the Testing forum you will find another

thread with messages from yourself where the issue was discussed and the

workaround mentioned.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

Claudio González wrote on 6/28/2010 2:38 PM:

You have added a quote to the message that started this thread.

If I edit a message after posting it, I indicate so atthe bottom, adding the reason, excepting the cases in which I detect and correct typos before anyone posts another message -see my messages 7 and 8 above.

Obviously, you used a better search criterium than I did. Blame it on my lack of practice; I hardly use the Search function of these forums.

And I see no point in prolonguing this futile discussion about what you and I have said or thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case you may be wondering about what may seem like my selective memory: everything I have said in my last few messages about what was written in the "Issues after the update from 2.5.7 to 2.5.16" thread have come from reading that thread after following your link, and my link in there to the testing forum. Quite frankly, I vaguely remembered just a few of the things that were said there, and very vaguely at that; and I didn't remember anything about my own experiments of seven months ago. I wonder if younger participants have a better memory than I do for such things.

So, if you expect me not to ever retake an obscure discussion of many months ago because I don't have the time or the talent to find it in a reasonable time, I am afraid that it may well happen that I disappoint you again in the future under similar circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember no such discussion of "this Topic". Now I remember on and off discussion of the line breaking in middle of typing work around being hit return before typing two times then take them back. Actually for me often I need to hit up to four times the remove all of them.

I am 61 so maybe I am older. Although I am on computer almost daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I have been observing, just what you describe, but not with my quoted text - only with some others. Do not know their browsers, but remembering your thread, started to make note of what I was seeing in replies.

It's happening quite a bit. I see it in all quotes from one poster, Ann Bens (Holland) in several product fora. I'll ask her the browser she uses.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was discussed and a workaround was established in

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2471979#2471979 Since you participated

in that thread I wonder why you are bringing this up again without

providing any new relevant input. Is the workaround not working for you?

Do you have any relevant observations to suggest that the conclusions

we arrived at are incorrect? Is there any reason to bring this up again?

As I read it, the workaround is to to edit the message but doing so only adds one more line.  You can see in my previous message (aasuming that it is not been deleted like it has with other messages) what I mean.  So is there any other workaround for this?

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines