Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum session login/timeouts

Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
Advocate ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember how WebX allowed you to do that (did it even?)

Yes, it did. Also the reply box was right there on the page, and you could still see the rest of the thread, or even look back a page if necessary, without interruption while posting. OK the box was small and the formatting primitive, but going back to where you were and replying was FAST!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such a distant memory now. Ah yes, good times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Everybody hates the new situation.

(Also the "Remember me" tick remembers the password but not the state of being logged in.)

No It remebers you Username (email Address/orusername)

But not my password. At least not in my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already chewed over at length Jim. Check past posts on this.

I saw the posts in this thread by John, the Adobe employee.  It seems they're all geared towards figuring out why people get logged off when they shouldn't be.  My question is why do we get logged off at all?  I want my permanent cookie back.  Why do we need a timeout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Also the "Remember me" tick remembers the password but not the state of being logged in.)

It "remembers" nothing for me, not my login state (as such a checkbox should), not my password, not my username.  Nothing gets remembered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing down, when I quit FF I set it to remember so it opens the same windows. And, I am logged out as everyone else when I start up again.

But when I click the Login button in of the pages, normally a forum page, I am usually taken to another page.

Until a few days ago it was the Still no supervision thread whichever page I logged in from, then for a couple of days it was one of the threads in the Illustrator forum, today I came back to the original page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to post #191, when I tried logging in from the Illustrator forum, I received an error message that an unexpected error had occurred and that the specific thread was not available, or something like that; unfortunately, I did not write it down but copied the message and clicked to post a reply and paste it there, when guess what: FF crashed.

Seemingly, you are (often) expected to log into a thread rather than a forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Further to post #191, when I tried logging in from the Illustrator forum, I received an error message that an unexpected error had occurred and that the specific thread was not available, or something like that; unfortunately, I did not write it down but copied the message and clicked to post a reply and paste it there, when guess what: FF crashed.

Seemingly, you are (often) expected to log into a thread rather than a forum.

I would at least partially blame FF for this, but then again I am biased... (obnoxious smiley, for email users)  Jive could probably crash any browser given enough chances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier today I received an email announcing I had received a private message, with a link for replying. Before doing anything, I opened my default browser, and came in to this forum to check that I was still logged. I was, so I went back to the email, double clicked on the link, and went on to write a not very short reply. When I finished, I clicked on the appropriate button for sending my reply, and I was instead kicked out of the forums. To make things even worse, there was no saved version offered when I tried to reply again...

This is really getting out of control, and a solution shoud be found promptly. After all, this is not by any means a new or recent problem affecting only a few people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that has happened to me too, Claudio.

There's no doubt in my mind that John and the rest of his Adobe team are fully aware of the seriousness of the problem.  In addition, I have the suspicion that they have come to the realization that they're dealing with a band of incompetent adolescents at Jive.  It boggles the mind that Jive is still in business at this stage when GM went under.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon-- what boggles the mind more is the list of customers Jive claims.  Have you seen it?  Or perhaps I am right and Jive's best skill is marketing.  Meaning they suckered all those companies into buying their product, with promises of infinite customizability and claims that it can do everything they ask for, only to let them later realize that it doesn't work properly and can't do what they wanted.

Let's hope Jive isn't "too big to fail" too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose the big companies that use Jive need to use it in the same way, or to the same scale, as the Adobe user to user forums.

And I think Adobe's perverse desire to combine log-ins is probably also unique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(The clipboard was a Mac invention - well, Apple's Lisa, a precursor)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm betting most of those jive customers are using it internally - seems well suited to team/department collaberation - and have something else facing the world. it just ain't meant to do what adobe's trying to make it do.

months later, the answer's still the same. cut your losses, pay web crossing to do it right and be done with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Earlier today I received an email announcing I had received a private message, with a link for replying. Before doing anything, I opened my default browser, and came in to this forum to check that I was still logged. I was, so I went back to the email, double clicked on the link, and went on to write a not very short reply. When I finished, I clicked on the appropriate button for sending my reply, and I was instead kicked out of the forums. To make things even worse, there was no saved version offered when I tried to reply again...

This is really getting out of control, and a solution shoud be found promptly. After all, this is not by any means a new or recent problem affecting only a few people.

I'm not saying this shouldn't be a (the?) top priority, but the easiest "workaround" when you have a long message is to periodically put your text on your computer's clipboard (not sure what a mac calls it).  I usually do a cut+paste (rather than a copy) so I know it worked.  I never count on the worthless "autosave" feature that doesn't even work half the time.

I don't know what double clicking your email link does but if that means you're replying by email, isn't that feature itself buggy too?  Are you counting on a buggy feature (autosave) to protect against a buggy feature (logins), and using another buggy feature (email) while doing it? heh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what the heck is going on over there? this is the FOURTH time i've had to log in today!!! are you trying to tell me (us) something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

twice for me so far today ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and again. 5 times in one day. nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is becoming ridiculous!

Things are getting worse, not better.

Hey, forum team – get out from under your rock and give us an update!

The natives are getting restless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

This is becoming ridiculous!

Becoming rediculous? It's BEEN rediculous. Now it's becoming...erm...rediculouser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When switching on and coming to these forums this morning, I had been logged out in Mac/Firefox and Vista/Explorer, but not in Vista/Safari. And I was logged out of Vista/Safari a few minutes later, while checking what had been added since last night...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we can give up looking for a logical pattern.

It's all governed by the FSM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not looking for any logical or illogical pattern, only reporting a new variant. Like this one: I have just been kicked out after less than one hour of logging in Vista/Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still logged in since about 7:30 this morning (about 5 hours so far). huzzah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stayed logged in overnight, surfed for a while, didn't for a long while, was still logged in.

Went away for 45 minutes, got logged off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines