Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum session login/timeouts

Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Away for more than 5 hours, logged out in both computers. URL of this forum before logging in was the usual one,

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

but I guess this is not what you want. Not been logeed out yet from the message box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are managing to stay logged in that's great! That's what we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may all be happy to know that it finally happened to me. Typed out a long reply to something, hit Post Message, and got an Unauthorized error message.

All I can think of is that maybe there was a server reset at Jive because I had more than one window opened into the forum and was reading a few different things and was currently active.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw this when John c tried to send a message I belive on his clearspace account:

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I just saw this when John c tried to send a message I belive on his clearspace account:

Was that in the Test subforum? I did post a message, but realized I made a mistake in the way I ran the test, so I deleted it.

So if you saw the link to it and tried to click on it you would get a "not found" error.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly. In my graphic you should see url for the message. If it appears to that then that what it was.

I'm trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think that is what it was there.

Did clicking on it log you out of the forum? You should be able to get to that error message when logged in or not. It is just a 404 type of error. The item you requested is no longer available.

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Just got knocked of  when went to this very topic we are in now. Then I noticed was signed in to to adobe.com (Store) which I hadn't touched. I then went to  login page. After Login it imediately bounced to page smilar the one I showed with the File not found error above. (Not the same one)

Then I dissmissed the window. Went back to email notification clicked this message link again and I am back and signed in to both Adobe.com store and AdobeForums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really ridiculous... why can't we just stay logged in – like it used to be before and like it is in most other forums? Even Gmail keeps me logged in! For christ's sake i can understand if someone ventures from the forums to the shop or some other areas that are relatively sensitive. But in the forums?! After all, twiddledee is hardly likely to use my system to log into the forums!!!

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why can't we just stay logged in – like it used to be before and like it is in most other forums?

becuase in the old fourms, and in most sane systems, login would be handled by cookies. (don't start pj! ignore this post!) if adobe is hanging on to session data and counting on that as part of the login info, then the problem is holding on to a session is VERY VERY expensive in terms of processing and storage on the server. if the size of the user base is as large as they say it is, it would be impossible (or at least impractical) to keep those sessions alive ... forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

why can't we just stay logged in – like it used to be before and like it is in most other forums?

becuase in the old fourms, and in most sane systems, login would be handled by cookies. (don't start pj! ignore this post!) if adobe is hanging on to session data and counting on that as part of the login info, then the problem is holding on to a session is VERY VERY expensive in terms of processing and storage on the server. if the size of the user base is as large as they say it is, it would be impossible (or at least impractical) to keep those sessions alive ... forever.

In other words, in order to provide all that sidelined information, WHICH NOBODY WANTS! the software has to monitor so much information that it can't keep us logged in.

WONDERFUL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

dave milbut wrote:

In other words, in order to provide all that sidelined information, WHICH NOBODY WANTS! the software has to monitor so much information that it can't keep us logged in.

WONDERFUL!

I salute you, sir.  Your logic is FLAWLESS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by jove! i think he's got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

So why don't they just go back to cookies?

And which idiots

a: thought up this system?

b: chose to use it?

Jive A$$ as you aptly put in one of your posts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as i as typing this to tell that i had remained logged in overnight, and AFTER posting in the 404 thread in this forum i hit the post button to post the details and got this error IN THE MIDDLE of my posting! AFTER i had posted a message in another thread. could this system get any more screwed up?

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, the infamous PSOD!

(Pink stripes of death.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stayed logged in all night (browser was not running) and I just posted in another thread.  I want to see if this post gets denied.

Edit:  Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's exactly what i did... now try again bob...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have stayed logged in all night and through a full shutdown!

I am able to compose this message, it remains to be seen if I get logged out in the process of replying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

that's exactly what i did... now try again bob...

I launched the browser 2 hours ago, closed it an hour ago and am now back.  It this message gets posted then I'm going to conclude that I'm SPECIAL

Wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It this message gets posted then I'm going to conclude that I'm SPECIAL

<golf clap>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

as i as typing this to tell that i had remained logged in overnight, and AFTER posting in the 404 thread in this forum i hit the post button to post the details and got this error IN THE MIDDLE of my posting!

Well, it finally happened to me in a very similar manner.

1. Close FireFox without logging out or clearing cache/cookies.
  2. Left computer running.
  3. Started FF this morning, went to my bookmarked "Your Homepage"  - still logged in.
  4. Replied to one message in Forum Comments.
  5. Composed another reply and tried clicked [Post Message].
  6. Saw the "Unauthorized/You do not have permission/Try loggin in..." warnings.
  7. Logged in and was taken to my message composition window showing this strange warning:

loggedOutDuringReply2.png

The message was now empty, but . . . Please enter a title.?

So, I am going back to my habit of loggin out each night, or if I forget and find I am logged in already - log out and log in.

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are we all still arguing about 4 or xx hours? Why don't we just demand to be perpetually logged in – as before – unless we:

1/ Clear cookies or whatever

2/ Visit the Store or whatever (actually even these can be separate.)

Seems to me that Adobe is taking an 'easy way' out...

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the login servers should be either a spearate Drive or separate entity altogether.

The way it is now login into store also logs you into forum but not the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, on switching on my computers after their nightly shutdown, I wasn't logged in either of them when entering these forums. However, I was logged in both after their shutdown of the night before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines