• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How many posts since when?

Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2009 Apr 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, the number of posts and the starting date are unrelated.

As far as I can see, the number of posts is the number of posts during the last year, more or less, of the fair forums, with the addition of new posts in the present forums, and possibly a number of posts in the old MM forums within a certain, possibly much longer, period. My number of posts corresponds fairly well with the actual number which could be found through a simple name search; some posters have quite large numbers, such as more than 9,000 and 16,000. How is it exactly?

Some of us have a rather late starting date, much later than our fist postings; for a number of us, it is round 1st August 2006. Is that because of some forum restart that somehow only affected some members, or is it a coincidence?

As far as I remember, I only registered online long after starting on the applications and posting in the forums, and I have reregistered a number of times after that in connexion with reinstalling on new hard disks; probably, the same applies to others. Is the starting date actually (one of) the registration date(s), regardless of forum history?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you glance at the post count of different people whose posting habits you know, you will realise that the figure is in many cases pretty meaningless, since that counter may (or may not) have been set during the last or previous migrations.

In other words – forget it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would if I could, but it keeps popping up, along with the since date.

I ask about them because they are here. If we are lucky, and they disappear with the rest of the unwanted things, I will withdraw my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would have been a lot more reasonable to just start everyone off at zero with a start date of the day the new forums opened, and give everyone a fresh start to build on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, but then how would we have known who knows what they are talking about?? 

I know I have been a member of the forums since 1999, not 2005 as is indicated next to my name.  I am certain I have more posts than the counter says.  I think the entire concept is silly.  I could build my post count up, does that mean I know more than others?  maybe, but probably not! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

I know I have been a member of the forums since 1999, not 2005 as is indicated next to my name.  I am certain I have more posts than the counter says.  I think the entire concept is silly.  I could build my post count up, does that mean I know more than others?  maybe, but probably not! 

Ya think just because someone posts a lot, they know a lot?!? And yes, I see the but that is a huge fallacy that new people coming in are confronted with, and it is a valid concern when dealing with technical information. If it was just a social group, it would be fine, but not here.

I've been around since '97 and a host most of that time. I don't want, or need, any kind of credit for how much I post... or, as is more often the case... how little I post, since I don't bother if I have nothing to add but noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<i>but that is a huge fallacy that new people coming in are confronted with</i>

that's EXACTLY my point!  Someone new to the boards might see that post count and think ... ooh this person really knows a LOT ... only to find out, they might not really know as much as the person down the thread with a smaller number of posts.  This is why I really think it needs to go, it gives a false sense of security for the answers.

The same thing applies to the points system.  Ooooh, more points, more right answers, let me follow that person.  The points are so subjective, they are meaningless, yet a new person might not know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree... and any number of people have said the same thing numerous times. I don't think I remember anyone saying they are valuable, other then, perhaps, so they can play with gaming the system. (Posts to the lounge are counted! How much does that change the stats all by itself?!?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please remember that the points system is in it's infancy right now but in a month of two there will be a clear distinction between the users that actually help out a lot and those that just try to find ways to get points. Also note that just because there is this point system doesn't mean that the user asking for help can just shut off his brain and go only with whatever the guy with the most points suggested

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Items in this forum where there are just comments about the forum should no have points added Now if your in an area say Acrobat Mac or acrobat PC and you give an answer that was helpful then points would apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

please remember that the points system is in it's infancy right now but in a month of two there will be a clear distinction between the users that actually help out a lot and those that just try to find ways to get points.

I respectfully disagree.  I've mentioned this before:  IF a new user posts a question and *thinks* the question has been answered, awards the points and realizes later that a better/more accurate/easier to use/etc answer was further down the thread, he/she can't take those points back!  They get awarded in a very subjective manner that, in itself, makes them meaningless.

Zeno Bokor wrote:

[snip] ...  Also note that just because there is this point system doesn't mean that the user asking for help can just shut off his brain and go only with whatever the guy with the most points suggested

But Zeno, that's what can and does happen to the uninitiated to the forums!  They have no other point of reference, so when they see number of points awarded or number of posts, they *will* go with what that person suggests.  It's misleading, to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respectfully disagree.  I've mentioned this before:  IF a new user posts a question and *thinks* the question has been answered, awards the points and realizes later that a better/more accurate/easier to use/etc answer was further down the thread, he/she can't take those points back!  They get awarded in a very subjective manner that, in itself, makes them meaningless.

We all make mistakes but i believe that in the long run these mistakes will be overshadowed by all the correct points given. Right now when we don't have that many points, having 10 more points is noticeable but in two months when the regular users will have over on thousand points they won't feel as bad about someone else getting those 10 measly points

But Zeno, that's what can and does happen to the uninitiated to the forums!  They have no other point of reference, so when they see number of points awarded or number of posts, they *will* go with what that person suggests.  It's misleading, to say the least.

Yes, they will probably try to do what the person with the most points suggested *first* but they will try the rest of the suggestions if it didn't work.

This isn't to say that i like the current system. I much prefer the way points are given on Community Help where there are mods giving points to users who post good stuff but i guess that it doesn't work with forums because there are too many posts to rate and not enough mods to do it. If i could chose a method it would be by a rating system. Each post starts with a rating of say 5 and every user can rate a post up or down. If the post gets to say a rating of 10 then the user that posted it will get 5 points while if it gets to a rating of 0 it will be minimized and the user loses 5 points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

please remember that the points system is in it's infancy right now but in a month of two there will be a clear distinction between the users that actually help out a lot and those that just try to find ways to get points.

Wrong! It is a completely flawed system and of NO USE WHATSOEVER!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<snicker> John, don't hold back, let us know exactly how you feel!         </snicker>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

-------------------snip-------------------

You could go by the titles sometimes shown under the Avatars and sometimes  not, Adobe Employee, and Community Experts, Users

Of Course, There may be some Users they are not ones to reply to too many messages, that actually, have more experience with the product than the Community Experts, or even the employees, So identifying people as such is also meaningless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is EXACTLY why number of posts and number of points is entirely useless!  The reader has to make a choice as to what works for them and they really should not be swayed, likely wrongly, by the posts/points numbers.  Make the choice based on the information presented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'd like the count to restart every day at 3 AM. That way we can see how much time is wasted, I mean, how helpful people are every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines