• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the point system broken? [Jive is gone, there are no points]

People's Champ ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been slightly amused by the point system and the little crosses since I came back to the forums after a few years away.

I imagine that knowing that someone has answered a lot of questions that have been marked as Correct or Helpful could be a handy indicator to someone new to the forums. Like Bill Hunt for example. It isn't the points as much as the percentage of points as a ratio to the number of posts. It indicates that people have often marked his answers as useful.

Well, the other day I noticed that I had reached 996 points and I was about to get a third marker. Try as I might to be nonchalant about it, since the points are not all that important, it still kind of threw me off when I got stalled at 996. I have had two correct answers lately and yet my points no longer increment.

So, is the system broken? Are my points being held up for review for some reason? Or, is there some other reason? I guess I am just curious about it. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter. Yet, what can I say? Pride is just one of those vices that is hard to shake. Throw a little vanity in there and ....

artofzootography.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you get is a "Helpful" for this one Joe.

After all, it did solve the mystery for me. Dave would have been too polite to mention your name, so thanks for that.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

I actually did learn quite a bit, out of your plight, so your pain, and everyone's consternation were not for naught.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did learn quite a bit, out of your plight, so your pain, and everyone's consternation were not for naught.

Glad to hear it.

If it really was Joe, at least he picked his target carefully. There are people who would have started a rant against Adobe instead of questioning the forum software they use.

It could be a while before he gets close to 10,000 points, so I would have to think of something original.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

I often end up scratching my head. Maybe that is why I have so little hair left?

Now, are you actually confessing a prank, or is the "prank" your "confession?"

I never know with you...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or is the "prank" your "confession?"

It is difficult to tell, but when Dave said it was from the Lounge, Joe could have used his quick wit to come up with a prank, or realized he had been caught.

I am not at all sure I want to know which is which!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need to go and review some of the old M*A*S*H episodes. I think there were 3-4 about retaliation?

If nothing else, this thread increased my "post count" by about 6, and I didn't even have to crank up PrPro to check out my answers - just check your Profile - easy-peasy.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have been doing that right along?

I never noticed. Truly.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

While I do remember most of those threads, I had no idea that any were posed as a question, so missed that there could be points awarded - or removed. Just went over my head completely. Even if I had known, I doubt that I could possibly have filled in the blanks.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or realized he had been caught.

Bill should check his PM's more often.

I quizzed him about whether I should confess early today...

well before 'The Ninja' zeroed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you mean "PM's" there. Just looked.

I do not check those that often, as mostly they are people who do not post to the forums, but instead ask for personal assistance solving their problems. I have some boilerplate text that I just Copy/Paste, saying "Post to the ___ Forum, and be sure to give all the info in this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0"

No, don't check PM's that often.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

Joe,

I often end up scratching my head. Maybe that is why I have so little hair left?

Now, are you actually confessing a prank, or is the "prank" your "confession?"

I never know with you...

Hunt

From you picture it just moved to your chin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2013 Aug 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, time to rain on the parade.

Users are encouraged to try and earn points, that's the whole idea.

The points system is not just a random number, it's used by Adobe when choosing people for program invitations and awards. A point may not have a cash value, but awards do.

"Prank" or not, changing marks to intentionally manipulate the score of another user is NOT acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 09, 2013 Aug 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Dave.

I scoured the Forum Guidelines without success looking for a line

just like that one before I embarked on what was indeed a prank.

note:

It's hard to tell through the mask, but I thought you cracked a smile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines