• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

It has taken me 3 years to log onto these For

Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(more to come.)

Will these forums ever be dumped and the old forums reinstated so we can get back to business, communicating, exchanging ideas and information?

One can only hope.

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

I rather doubt that they will be dumped.

Though I am less a fan, than I was in the "good old days," the thought of loosing so very much material, since the Jive forum makes me sweat. We lost a ton, with the ill-fated changeover, and then again with Jive. Let's please hope that Jive and Adobe get this fixed, or many product fora will have to start over, yet again.

Sorry for your issues,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rather doubt that they will be dumped.

Though I am less a fan, than I was in the "good old days," the thought of loosing so very much material, since the Jive forum makes me sweat. We lost a ton, with the ill-fated changeover, and then again with Jive. Let's please hope that Jive and Adobe get this fixed, or many product fora will have to start over, yet again.

Sorry for your issues,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, it would never cross my mind to

attempt any major or semi major change in either of my two humble computers

without taking every reasonable measure to avoid losing information in case of any catastrophe. However, the forums here experienced a very major surgery, in which tons of very valuable information were gone for ever through "unfortunate" circumstances and/or oversights. Like the excellent collection of FAQs, to mention just one case. I still cannot believe it.

Extra line breaks kindly provided by the non updated software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I agree completely. Going back to the "ill-fated" changeover, there was at least an archive, though all titles were lost, so one basically had to open each thread, to see what was inside it. Even those were lost with the Jive-changeover.

On the Premiere and Encore fora, we lost years of great replies, many of which are still relevant after 3 - 4 versions, and are missed.

Oh well, life goes on, and an old-guy, such as myself, just gets on with it. Heck, I can just rewrite some of those articles, but it was the replies from others that were so very valuable.

Hunt, with a tear in his eye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the loss of information was deplorable, the loss of good people was even worse.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Although the loss of information was deplorable, the loss of good people was even worse."

It was many of those same good people that provided, the now lost, information.  Ironic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I agree completely. Just in the tiny Encore forum, we lost three great contributors. This was somewhat coincidental with the Jive changeover, but we have no idea, whether that was a contributing factor. None of these folk was in any way controversial, so there is no reason to believe that any was banned. One day, we just realized that they were no longer around. Never heard one word from any of these.

In Premiere, we lost several, though did find out that one had a major job change, business failure and a move across the US. Another experienced a major health problem. Another began editing several feature films and just had no time any more. Several others just ceased to post. One recently stopped by and mentioned that he was now a grandfather, with little time for editing, and no time to post. Stuff happens. Others, however, faded into the ether, never to be seen again, and one was an extremely prolific poster, offering some sought out technical help, at a very high level. Again, none of these was the least bit controversial, so banning is out of the question. Probably some burn-out, or a new focus in life?

Still, the fora are the worst for their absence.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know for a fact that many of these people said at the time that, if the forums didn't revert to the old system, or at least acquire a comparable level of usabilility, they would not be contributing any more.

Others stayed and complained and a few tried to keep up but in the end were defeated by the forums' faults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, whatever you do, do not succumb to the siren song of leaving for "greener pastures." The PS forum would collapse!

Hang in there,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Hang in there,

I may not.

I have monitored the PS Win forum over the last few weeks and found the following facts about the posts.

77% of all posts are about won't install / won't run / crashes. etc

16% of all posts are about the correct use of tool and commands

Only 7% of questions are about techniques and most of these are beginner / didn't-read-Help level.

Consequently there is little for a willing helper like me to get his teeth into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Without actually doing a spreadsheet, I see similar to what you state.

It is similar in the various Premiere fora. We clamor for meaty technical, or aesthetic questions and fight over them like hungry lions.

Still, the PS forum will suffer, should you give it up. I do not need a spreadsheet to know that to be fact.

Take care, and I completely agree with you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, for a time at least, I recognized the invaluable contributions of real-world working experts back on the old forums and printed out some of the 'not to be had elsewhere' information on the why's the wherefore's and priceless techniques and explanations that were readily shared on the old forums by some of the profession's top personalities. Some of those were lost forever when a business I worked at went down with the economy and the files have since been swept into eternity. Working with the input of such professionals was the highlight of my making better impressions on my customers as well as having ready answers for vendors and providers of specialized services. Not only that, I also learned some neat tricks that these innovators came up with to getting the most out of Photoshop and other Adobe software. All of that is in the past, way in the past now.

The way that the channel of communication worked, in smooth-flowing forum software, was the key to attracting and keeping such talent on line and readily available. Truly a unique period of time we may never experience again.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind the (lack of) content Ken.

The main thing is that Adobe has user forums that work. (Sort of.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be between Slim and None .... Slim just left town.  Sorry. There are none of web style Forum worth band width they take up everyone of the has bugs. The only one that seems to have the least is the one used by Apple, and ones using phpBB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

Will these forums ever be dumped and the old forums reinstated so we can get back to business, communicating, exchanging ideas and information?

No these forums will remain in place until something new comes to fore.  Even Microscum has decided to dump its NNTP newsgroups in favor of online forums with a view to getting rid of customers who are hell bent on asking silly questions.  Obviously, in doing so, they have managed to drive out bonafide customers like you who have no way getting proper help anywhere.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Mactopia Forum is the Replacement for the Mac Groups on NNTP. While not as bad as this, I've had to install NoSquint in FireFox and SeaMonkey and set maganification to 150% general Zoom and 100% text Zoom to make it so I could read it. needed 50 power Binoculars to see otherwise. Also very day or two there suddenly an error message comes up  No Host Memory http://screencast.com/t/ODg2NGEwZDMt . Takes two three hours to work itself out.

The only thing that works decently is PHPbb and Apple's User Forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Somehow the mental visual of sea monkeys with reading glasses just cracked me up! Guess I needed a good laugh, and you provided it to me, whether intentional, or not. Just glad that I did not have a mouthful of Petite Syrah, or Zinfandel.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's its name:

http://screencast.com/t/YjNmYTAzN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines