Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just in case...

Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone from Adobe thinks these forums are getting better, are more accepted now that all the knowledgeable regulars have been driven off and the community that existed has been destroyed. This Forum still su

cks, its slow ugly and a huge space waster. The dialog in the forums has turned into a bunch of lazy people who can't be bothered to read the manual. All discussion about anything technical or advanced just doesn't exist. thanks Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 206 Replies 206
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

Rick,

do you moderate on any of the Adobe forum boards?  If yes, do you alternate between your two monikers or do you use one for when you are moderating and one for when you are simply posting?

If you are using one for posting and one for moderating, I would think it in good taste to remove the Community Expert label from the forum posting moniker.  Otherwise, it's quite misleading.

Hi Hopper

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Why should the the Community Expert label be removed? Community Expert does not equal moderator. Community Expert quite simply means you have been recognized for your helpful contributions to the Adobe communty. The term community is not limited to the forums (but that's the largest part of my bit). That may be articles you have written, forum participation where you offer support to other users or some other venue defined by Adobe.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2009 Oct 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Claudio, your reply may have some merit if I moderated here.

The issue is, I don't!

I operate in this forum only as a participant, the same as you do. Jochem is the moderator here. If I were to begin moderating here it wouldn't be very respectful of Jochem.

Cheers... Rick

Would it be possible that you are not always 100% accurate? 80.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Would it be possible that you are not always 100% accurate? 80.

LOL, how silly and arrogant I would have to be to think I'm always right and 100% accurate about anything. I don't believe I've ever made that claim.

Sure, I have opinions too and may choose to voice them. After all, we all have equal say.

Don't take life too seriously. After all, NOBODY gets out alive!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not have explicitly stated that you think that you are always right. Unfortunately, many of your statements are written as if you not only though you are, but as if there were no doubts about it. Even when you are interpreting/distorting what others have said...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

You may not have explicitly stated that you think that you are always right. Unfortunately, many of your statements are written as if you not only though you are, but as if there were no doubts about it. Even when you are interpreting/distorting what others have said...

That is one reason why I gave up reading his messages Claudio. It is hard to refute an argument where the meaning wriggles like a snake and changes colour like a chameleon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, that's exactly his tactics, John. To get everyone so fed up of trying to argue with someone who breaks all the rules of a fair or rational discussion, that he will soon have all the ground to himself and others like him. So, even if it would be much better for my mental health to simply ignore him, I will not surrender yet. Perhaps very soon now; he is also showing a marked tendency to not to take any notice when he is openly proven wrong. Curious that he hasn't deleted some incriminating messages in this very same thread... Perhaps he is vulnerable after all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudio

I'm guessing you are referring to me? (Sorry, but I've been out of touch for a few days while traveling on business)

Since when have I ever deleted messages here? I'm not sure what it takes to make you understand I don't moderate here.

Interesting too how you accuse me of twisting things around, then you do the same. Then again, I suspect you and Anne are perhaps siblings as the rules you claim I'm breaking are perfectly fine for you to break as well. I have no clue what you mean by "incriminating messages". After all, it's not me that's flaunting the forum guidelines put forth:

Do:

• Respect others
  • Assume good faith
  • Share what you know
  • Be kind to newbies — we were all new once
  • Encourage others; recognize and praise good work
  • Attract and honor good, knowledgeable people
  • Ask for help, and help others in return
  • Set a good example
  • Add information about yourself to your forum profile
  • Visit the Forum FAQ

Don't:

• Infringe on copyrighted material
  • Use obscene or offensive language
  • Personally attack people, their edits (including spelling or grammar), or their comments
  • Rant or otherwise harass, abuse, or intimidate others
  • Use multiple accounts to agree (or argue) with yourself
  • Post anything you don't want the world to see. This is a public space
  • Post content that violates Adobe community guidelines, adobe.com Terms of Use, or Adobe privacy policy in any manner
  • Post other people's confidential or private information without their express permission. This includes email addresses, street addresses, telephone numbers, content of private forum messages, etc.
  • Be afraid to identify errors or shortcomings in Adobe content. Your feedback is important!

Personal insults, verbal attacks, and generally offensive, disrespectful, or  abusive messages will be edited or deleted by forum hosts. Repeated violations  will result in temporary suspension of forum access, eventually leading to being  banned from forums. Spam messages will be deleted immediately, and the user account will be disabled in the forums.

Surely none of this will bother anyone. Especially since you are ignoring me.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, there is definitely a little bit of practice what you preach from your last post.

I hope you see it and counsel yourself, as you are counseling us.

hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hopper

greenjumpyone wrote:

Hey Rick, there is definitely a little bit of practice what you preach from your last post.

I hope you see it and counsel yourself, as you are counseling us.

hopper

Would you care to point out where I've failed to meet any of these?

Besides, I'd really hate to let Ann down by not sounding "smug and preachy".

Then again, I forget that Adobe has inserted a Community Expert logo near my name. And that means I'm not allowed to openly express any opinions I might have because I'm perceived as an Adobe Apologist.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Then again, I forget that Adobe has inserted a Community Expert logo near my name.

Tell me if i'm wrong, but i believe to beome a 'Community Expert' you have to apply for it... it is not just awarded... which is what accounts for the fact that so many experts and knowledgeable contributors in these forums are not labelled 'Community Expert'. Is that not so? Or is the 'Community Expert' tag thrust willy-nilly upon the screaming and protesting recipient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

This is about all you will find on this subject...it's pretty vague as to how these people are chosen:

What criteria does Adobe use to select experts?
Adobe selects those who best exemplify the program fundamentals of product proficiency, enthusiasm, and professionalism towards Adobe and the customer base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote:

Tell me if i'm wrong, but i believe to beome a 'Community Expert' you have to apply for it... it is not just awarded... which is what accounts for the fact that so many experts and knowledgeable contributors in these forums are not labelled 'Community Expert'. Is that not so? Or is the 'Community Expert' tag thrust willy-nilly upon the screaming and protesting recipient?

To my knowledge you cannot apply to be a Community Expert.  You are invited by Adobe based on them observing your contributions to the adobe community (the forum of which is only one part).   You may of course accept or decline; if invited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge you cannot apply to be a Community Expert.  You are invited by Adobe based on them observing your contributions to the adobe community (the forum of which is only one part).   You may of course accept or decline; if invited.

I recall from somewhere that someone mentioned that the Moderators were chosen from among the Community Experts. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's one for ya...

Does having the title "Community Expert" come along with some moderating privileges?

And in turn, are there users that DO NOT have status title of "Moderator" or "Community Expert" that are given moderating privileges?

EDIT= I think myself and Fr. Watson may be thinking along the same lines And yes I think that was mentioned in one of those threads about a certain Moderator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are community experts who do not moderate the forums.    I do not know if there are mods that are not community experts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that doesn't help

I think what I have been seeing that there are indeed some users that have access to things that other users do not.

And there are moderators that do not have anything in their status titles to show users that they have this status.

And it would appear that most Community Experts do have moderating status.

So if the above is true it is very confusing to users.

And if a Community Expert also has Moderating status then why even bother calling them a Community Expert, why not just leave them as a Moderator and nothing else.

In most other forums you are considered a Newbie, Intermediate, Expert, etc when you reach "x" amount of posts. Now that may not apply here, but let's say we have this stupid 'points' system. Why not associate the number of points one has with a title such as "Expert"? It would make more sense since that user would have an excellent record with actually giving correct advice and they will be seen as Experts in the eyes of a user do to the amount of correctly answered posts, rather than being appointed by someone who may not have real world experience. Then get rid of Community Expert status altogether and instead give those users Moderator status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oz

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

Well that doesn't help

I think what I have been seeing that there are indeed some users that have access to things that other users do not.

And there are moderators that do not have anything in their status titles to show users that they have this status.

And it would appear that most Community Experts do have moderating status.

It makes logical sense (at least to me and I know I take a stilted view on things) that Adobe would choose from among the Community Experts pool to seek help with the forums (I.E. becoming forum moderators or hosts). After all, the Community Experts program doesn't invite just everyone in all willy nilly. You do have to first demonstrate considerable dedication to helping others.

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

So if the above is true it is very confusing to users.

Why should a user care if someone has moderation capabilities? Why do you feel it's important to point out that one is capable of moderation? Why would an average user seeking help with an Adobe software issue care? Big deal. How is a forum moderator able to help me with my question? It seems that if they see a Community Expert badge it would perhaps at least assure them that the help being offered might have a little more merit than if Joe Schmoe with three accumulated posts in two years has answered. Not that it's an indication that Joe's post may be bad, but it does show that you are active.

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

And if a Community Expert also has Moderating status then why even bother calling them a Community Expert, why not just leave them as a Moderator and nothing else.

Personally I think it would require a modification of the Jive Software and more effort on the Adobe folks that deal with it. I'd MUCH rather see effort expended on making meaningful improvements to forum performance. Things like fixing the ability to remember who you are and speed improvements. Then again, that's just my own viewpoint and I know it's not welcome here.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes logical sense (at least to me and I know I take a stilted view on things) that Adobe would choose from among the Community Experts pool to seek help with the forums (I.E. becoming forum moderators or hosts). After all, the Community Experts program doesn't invite just everyone in all willy nilly. You do have to first demonstrate considerable dedication to helping others.

Yes, but what Adobe may think is being helpful may not necessarily be view a such by the users (you know the people who actually use the forums, not the ones who drop by any time and reply to posts randomly...aka Adobe employees).

And just how does one stand out more than others in showing this dedication. I see users on here who are way more helpful than you, who are logged in more often, and who show more willingness to help than you do (no offense).

Why should a user care if someone has moderation capabilities? Why do you feel it's important to point out that one is capable of moderation? Why would an average user seeking help with an Adobe software issue care? Big deal. How is a forum moderator able to help me with my question? It seems that if they see a Community Expert badge it would perhaps at least assure them that the help being offered might have a little more merit than if Joe Schmoe with three accumulated posts in two years has answered. Not that it's an indication that Joe's post may be bad, but it does show that you are active.

Because I want to know I'm just saying that those who do have the abilities to make changes to ones post should be identified. And since those people are moderators they may be asked through private messages to clear up and disputes with other users, etc.

And your Joe Schmoe comment is a blown totally out of proportion and a comment that only someone who has been deemed as 'non helpful' would suggest.

Personally I think it would require a modification of the Jive Software and more effort on the Adobe folks that deal with it. I'd MUCH rather see effort expended on making meaningful improvements to forum performance. Things like fixing the ability to remember who you are and speed improvements. Then again, that's just my own viewpoint and I know it's not welcome here.

No body was talking about Jive Software itself. I was referring to the actual moderation of the forum.

So all in all you proved what I was getting at "Community Experts" are nothing more than regular users with swollen heads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

Yes, but what Adobe may think is being helpful may not necessarily be view a such by the users (you know the people who actually use the forums, not the ones who drop by any time and reply to posts randomly...aka Adobe employees).

And just how does one stand out more than others in showing this dedication. I see users on here who are way more helpful than you, who are logged in more often, and who show more willingness to help than you do (no offense).

No offense taken. Surely you realize this forum is but a tiny speck on my forum radar. I've made 12,000+ posts under my Captiv8r identity and 5,000+ posts under my RoboWizard identity. I was an MVP for one of my products that now Adobe owns long before Adobe acquired it. I was also MVP of the year for the same product for one year. I'm also recognized by Microsoft with MVP status for the Windows Help technology.

I wouldn't expect you could possibly begin to comprehend why I might have earned Community Expert status by viewing my activity here alone.

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

Because I want to know I'm just saying that those who do have the abilities to make changes to ones post should be identified. And since those people are moderators they may be asked through private messages to clear up and disputes with other users, etc.

And your Joe Schmoe comment is a blown totally out of proportion and a comment that only someone who has been deemed as 'non helpful' would suggest.

I disagree that the comment was blown out of proportion. Sure, there are many personalities here and tempers seem to be volatile at best. But I honestly believe (based on activitiy I see in my two product forums) that most arrive here seeking assistance with an issue. They really don't care if you are a moderator, Adobe employee or an ex con. As long as you can help them with their issue, they are happy and could care less.

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

No body was talking about Jive Software itself. I was referring to the actual moderation of the forum.

Ummmm, unless I am mistaken, you are asking for a means to identify who is a moderator. As I interpreted what you asked (and I do realize that I'm perceived as a total doofus in how I interpret things here - so I know I'm in awfully treacherous waters by stating my interpretation) you suggesting that those with Community Expert status and who also have moderation capabilities have such badging replaced by something different so that they may be identified instead as moderators. I can only fathom this would occur at minimum by carefully swapping out the badging used (this would likely have to be manually accomplished by Adobe employees) or adding a means to the forum software to do it automatically. So I can only fathom that would have to happen using some custom coding. But I'm not a Jive expert, just a user. Perhaps something exists where a switch may be flipped to configure such a thing.

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

So all in all you proved what I was getting at "Community Experts" are nothing more than regular users with swollen heads

Nope, I disagree again. I believe what I "proved" (Not that I ever set out to prove anything) is that many here (your comment seems to infer that you are included) like to pass judgement on some without having the full picture. I do suppose that in that light, maybe I've been harsh in judging that banned Photoshop user. I think the name was Ramòn? However, my own interaction with him was substantially less than pleasant. Only here in this forum. Maybe he was a great guy, but from what I saw he was very belittling an awfully grumpy.

I suppose that by replying to the long note I'll now be accused of another diatribe. But whatever.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st off, I never once said I was referring to you directly. I could care less if you cleaned 50,000 toilets or founded 50,000 companies. I was referring to the group as a whole.

2nd I could care less what contributions you have made in other areas, we've all made contributions elsewhere and you don't see us using them to get receive special acknowledgement here on these forums.

Obliviously I couldn't make one suggestion to rationalize the points system here and point out how other forums on the web run (and by run, I mean they have been in use for years and years and never once had any complaints similar to the ones expressed here using this Jive pos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I suppose it's just my swollen headedness and feeling the world revolves around me.

How silly I must be to make an assumption you were addressing me directly. My bad. I suppose I should assume in the future that when you reply here and quote things I've just written that your replies are intended to be general in nature?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just hit the nail very squarelly on its head!!

Captiv8r and Curt certainly have demonstrated that very clearly to me: their recent comments in this Forum are showing them both to be unbearably smug and totally self-satisfied windbags.

Neither of them adds any value to this Forum. Their total achievement here has been to stir-up dissension and their perceived association with Adobe can only be detrimental to Adobe's reputation.

If Adobe has any sense it will remove their ridiculous badges and distance itself from all of these infuriating Community Demolition Experts.

Then again, that's just my own viewpoint and I know it's not welcome here.

Well, you got that right, Captiv8r!!

Try coming back under your real name, and without that ridiculous Badge (which you consider to be a badge of honour but for which the rest of us seem to have utter contempt!) and you might find that you get a better reception.

And please be so kind as to leave the pontification at the door if you return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r and Curt certainly have demonstrated that very clearly to me: their recent comments in this Forum are showing them both to be unbearably smug and totally self-satisfied windbags.

Certainly Captiv8r comes across to me (and not just me, I believe) as smug, pompous and willfully thick. Mr. Wrigley isn't here as often, nor pontificates as long, so he is not quite as insufferable (he also doesn't perpetually try to portray himself as some sort of enlightened, happy soul, which also makes him less irritating. I do wish he would ditch that smirking be-tuxed avatar though; I liked the Locomotive much better).

Their total achievement here has been to stir-up dissension and their perceived association with Adobe can only be detrimental to Adobe's reputation.

Certainly Captiv8r, unless he is totally lobotomized, should realize that the net effect of his posts has been to increase animosity both towards him and Adobe in general. I don't think many of us are buying the "Just a happy guy" schtick; I personally am coming to the conclusion that he is willfully being thick, twisting people's statements, and otherwise behaving in an obnoxious manner. While not posessing Mr. Van Dieten's robotic persona (which admittedly, is at least some relief), it appears as though he is similarly unclear on a number of things about basic human interactions. He is best ignored, IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fr. Watson wrote:

Certainly Captiv8r comes across to me (and not just me, I believe) as smug, pompous and willfully thick. Mr. Wrigley isn't here as often, nor pontificates as long, so he is not quite as insufferable (he also doesn't perpetually try to portray himself as some sort of enlightened, happy soul, which also makes him less irritating. I do wish he would ditch that smirking be-tuxed avatar though; I liked the Locomotive much better).

Send Mr Wrigley a Pair of Red Camel Overalls and Rail Road Cap.That way he would be decked out perfectly for operating that Locomotive.

Then take picture of him donned in that outfit for his avatar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current avatar is the only one I have used on adobe forums.  I dont know what you are referring to, or why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines