Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lounge topics deleted?

Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i notice there are no topics in the lounge older than a week. has some archive setting

chaged? or are you just shutting the doors. i also note that many of my posts are missing

from my count. i had over 16000, now we're down to about 9100. are these two things related?

dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote on 12/17/2009 12:19 AM:

i notice there are no topics in the lounge older than a week. has some archive setting

chaged?

If I read the configuration right archiving has been configured at 10

days of inactivity.

or are you just shutting the doors. i also note that many of my posts are missing

from my count. i had over 16000, now we're down to about 9100. are these two things related?

If there were 7000 in the Lounge that could be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that'll do it. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2009 Dec 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the post count changed when posts are archived? They aren't

deleted -- just archived. Right?

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the archiving configuration. Sometimes it is configured to archive in situ, sometimes in /dev/null.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fair forums had a special folder for all the archived discussions in each forum. This folder was readily accessed from the list of topics in the forum. This way, there was no doubt as to where the archived threads went. We did complain however -unsuccessfully- for the fact that topics in each Archive folder were permanently deleted after a period of permanence, the length of which was determined by those in charge of each forum.

No extra linefeeds in Safari/Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

dave milbut wrote on 12/17/2009 12:19 AM:

chaged?

If I read the configuration right archiving has been configured at 10

days of inactivity.

hi, would it be possible to bump it back up to  something a little more reasonable to the denizens, especially as there seems to be no "arcive" of posts in the lounge, just straight to dev/null?

something like 30, 45 or 60 days would be more appropriate, i think. then the users there can take their own action as favorite threads (like R.I.P., sorry kami and q) sink towards oblivion.

thanks,

dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote on 12/21/2009 2:14 PM:

jochemd wrote :

>> If I read the configuration right archiving has been configured at 10

>> days of inactivity.

hi, would it be possible to bump it back up to something a little more reasonable to the denizens, especially as there seems to be no "arcive" of posts in the lounge, just straight to dev/null?

Technically: yes. Procedurally: I think Adobe left for the holidays

already. PM adobe-admin and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically: yes. Procedurally: I think Adobe left for the holidays

already. PM adobe-admin and see what happens.

k thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. Procedurally: I think Adobe left for the holidays already. PM adobe-admin and see what happens.

I cannot say that I would blame them. Actually, wife, the hospital CEO might get to take a half-day off for the holidays. Even the fora should slow down, but then the product fora will fire up, in earnest, when the gifts are unwrapped, and the brand new cameras are pressed into use - gird your loins!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2009 Dec 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>brand new cameras are pressed into use

Yep... along about the 1st week of January, all those people who are trying to edit their holiday movies will show up in the various Premiere fora wondering why Premiere Elements or Pro can't edit the video from their DVD or Hard Drive or Memory Card video camera... or the Video Mode files from their Digital Still Camera

I need to updated my Adobe notes page with a better collection of links to help Premiere newbies better understand the difference between a delivery format and an edit format... maybe I'll take some time before the end of the year and do that... or maybe not, depends on visiting time with friends & family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2009 Dec 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John,

While OT for Dave's post, I think you do a great job with those links. Everything needs to be kept evergreen, and the camera mfgrs. do not make it easy for any of us. Keep up the good work - Now, back the regularly scheduled program... Sorry Dave.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is frightening is that there was no warning... no chance to ensure certain threads were kept alive...

Is there any way to revive or find a thread once it's in the archives?

Is this yet another draconian measure / action? Seems so... and seems to reflect the attitude of Adobe to the users of its forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Okay, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this big time, so I'm already donning quadruple layers of Nomex.

But I'm curious about something. I have never visited "the lounge", but as I understand it, it's an area intended for all manner of "off topic" discussions. Things that really have no place for discussion in the forums. I might imagine the discussions to be something along the lines of "Hey, I got certified today!" or other such stuff.

In thinking about such types of discussions, I'm seriously questioning what possible merit or benefit there is if such topics are maintained for an indefinite period of time?

It occurs to me that Adobe may be viewing in a similar manner. Sort of like you might view the write on/wipe off noteboard on your fridge.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

But I'm curious about something. I have never visited "the lounge",

Then you wouldn't understand and so, there's no point discussing it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm curious about something. I have never visited "the lounge", but as I understand it, it's an area intended for all manner of "off topic" discussions.

It used to be a place to do that, and to socialize. It used to be the case that often a thread would be dormant for a few weeks - or even a month or two - and then would spring to life again. The reasons were various. Since you never visited, I will leave it at that, as I have little interest in wasting my time explaining.

The Lounge used to be the gathering spot for a community of users, many of whom developed friendships with each other that have lasted beyond the (de facto) demise of the Lounge. When my partner passed away (no protestations of sympathy, please), my friends there were of more support and comfort to me than I would have thought possible.  Now it is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2009 Dec 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add to the statement by Kami about posting in the lounge after the loss of a loved one.  I did that after my wife and I suddenly lost our son a couple of years ago.  He was only 41.  The replies helped me to carry on.  Just as was the case for Kami.

While there were words that I simply couldn't get out while talking to someone in person, I was able to come here and type out my thoughts.  The sentiments we received will always stay with us, as will the memory of the good, loving and honorable man that was our son.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the kind of environment we were used to in these forums (not only in the Lounge) seems to be frowned upon nowadays. No off topic comments, no off topic topics, no off topic thoughts. Stick to specific problems, respond quickly, and fade. A very great and irreparable loss, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are probably correct, Claudio.  While I can see, to a point, that the get it stated and get out approach seems more efficient to the moderators it does seem "colder" now.  And to handle the Lounge that way actually means that it is no longer "The Lounge".  I fondly remember the old forums, Photoshop & Photography as places to go to learn and laugh at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

For my edification, are your comments directed at particular fora, maybe particular product fora?

In most of my fora, the topics do tend to drift, or move tangentially, but so long as there is good discussion, they seem to meet the views of the MOD's. Maybe it's just where I hang out?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2009 Dec 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comment may have been heavily influenced by what happens here, where some threads are stopped short, locked, or eliminated almost at once while others, like this one, are left to drift completely far away from the original topic. To be fair, I do seem to notice less aggressiveness than weeks ago, but on the other hand this may be due to the recent loss of some participants.

Finally, I don't think it is right to continue discussing these issues in this thread, where some people who would perhaps like to participate, and could even have valuable opinions to voice, don't even know what is happening here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because your assimilation was successful whereas the other individuals could not be assimilated and were disposed of. Just look how everyone tiptoes in their messages now, worried they'll be next. It's sad. These forums are a sad place. Next all the smilies will be assimilated to frowns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resistence is Futile.

--Loucutus  of Borg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Resistence is Futile.

--Loucutus  of Borg

Phillip, if by futile you mean "incapable of producing any result; ineffective; useless; not successful", I must agree with you in this case. However, if you mean " trifling; frivolous; unimportant", I strongly disagree. I feel it is very important to leave a record of our resistence, even if it is prompltly "archived", and completely eliminated even more promptly.

Please forgieve me if I am talking nonsense; remember that I am not a native English speaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines