• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-enable your browser's spell checking when posting in Adobe forums

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to enable your browser's built-in spell checking, which these forums inexplicably disable, I wrote a simple browser userscript that re-enables it.  To install the script:

1. Install the free Tampermonkey browser extension.

2. Visit the script's page and click Install:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/435006-re-enable-browser-spell-checking-for-adobe-forums

I've tested this mainly in Chrome but did a quickie test with Firefox using Greasemonkey instead of Tampermonkey.

TOPICS
Community Information , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since these forums migrated to the Khoros (née Lithium) platform two years ago, many people have complained that the forums needlessly disable browsers' built-in spell checking, but the complaints have gone unheeded. As a longterm, frequent participant, I got tired of my own misspellings and reading those of others.  The forums' spell-check button is exceedingly lame compared to Chrome (see below) and I never used it.

The script is pretty simple -- it changes the HTML attribute 'spellcheck = "false"' to 'spellcheck = "true"'.

Here is what I posted a year ago in the forum for moderators:

------------------------------------------------------------

It's sad but not surprising that we have to explain to Khoros product managers why the Chrome spell checker is far superior to the Khoros checker:

- Chrome checks automatically as you type. With Khoros, you have to remember to click the spell-check button, which can take more than a few seconds depending on the platform's current performance. Seems trivial but it's a significant inconvenience when answering many posts, and I usually neglect to click the button.

- Chrome is more accurate, with far fewer false positives and negatives. For example, Chrome's dictionary includes many technical terms (e.g. "Lua") and brand names (e.g. "Khoros") that Khoros does not. "Khoros" isn't in their own dictionary! Khoros flags "https:" and other strings contained in URLs, while Chrome ignores URLs.

- Chrome's suggested corrections are much better. While Khoros usually includes the right correction in its list, it's usually not the first one. Examples:

o "believes": Chrome suggests "believes", while it's the fourth Khoros suggestion.
o "thier": Chrome suggests "their", while it's the second Khoros suggestion.
o "supireor": Chrome suggests "superior", while it's the second Khoros suggestion.
o "cheker": Chrome suggests "checker", while it's the fourth Khoros suggestion.

- Chrome lets you add words to its dictionary.

- Chrome automatically detects the language and corrects appropriately, which is important in these forums with people posting in multiple languages in a single thread. Khoros uses the language of the browser, which is difficult for a user with the browser set to German but posting an English reply.

- Chrome supports many more languages.

- Khoros highlights misspelled words with a red underline. You can't correct one or two letters by clicking in the middle of the word, since clicking on the word shows the list of suggestions -- your only choice is to delete the entire word or backspace from the end. Not an issue with Chrome.

It's trivial for Khoros to re-enable the browser spell checker -- they just have to omit the attribute 'spellcheck="false"' from the <body> element creating the input box. This was pointed out a year ago:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/re-enable-browser-spell-checking/m-p/10695781?pag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the forum's built-in Spell Check feature which works well when I remember to use it. 🙂

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The build in spellchecker is horrible.

I use LanguageTool: shows mistakes instantaneously

Tip from @Abambo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works great, Ann.  I now have it installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point in the last year or so, Khoros finally stopped disabling browser spell checking. It's Thanksgiving, so be thankful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the lesser things we must be oh so grateful for, yes?  😁

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The forum platform is again disabling browser spellchecking for me too, oh well:

johnrellis_0-1700938679574.png

I must have been tripping on leftover Thanksgiving turkey tryptophan.  I re-enabled my script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at least, some spell checkers work.  i use grammarly and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's ever been an issue with browser extensions, e.g. Languagetool. It's just the browser's built-in spell checking that gets disabled because the forum platform includes the attrribute 'spellcheck="false"'' in the message-editor body, and Chrome and Firefox obey that request.  My script simply sets 'spellcheck="true"', while extensions like Languagetool and Grammarly do much more sophisticated things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines