• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RSS Feeds - <author> and <atom:author>

Engaged ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone out there reading these posts in a feed reader?

Unless there's a signature in the post, anything posted at the web forum shows up with 'forums@adobe.com' as the author, so there's no way of seeing who's written what. One good reason to have a signature on each post.

There are two <author> tags for each post, one of them <atom:author> which contains <atom:email>. In all the feeds I've looked at, the contents of the two tags are identical; either the email address of the poster for those submitted by email or the generic 'forums' address. I know nothing about how spammers harvest addresses to spam, but it looks like these are just as vulnerable to harvesting as addresses en clair on a web page. Are they? Perhaps the feed generator could be persuaded to drop the <atom:email> tag altogether, and to use the author's display name instead of an address for the <author> bit. Then we wouldn't need signatures.

Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh %#£@! My OP was submitted by email. The system ate everything contained in angle brackets. This is what it was supposed to say:

Unless there's a signature in the post, anything posted at the web forum shows up with 'forums@adobe.com' as the author, so there's no way of seeing who's written what. One good reason to have a signature on each post.

There are two <author> tags for each post, one of them <atom:author> which contains <atom:email>. In all the feeds I've looked at, the contents of the two tags are identical; either the email address of the poster for those submitted by email or the generic 'forums' address. I know nothing about how spammers harvest addresses to spam, but it looks like these are just as vulnerable to harvesting as addresses en clair on a web page. Are they?

Perhaps the feed generator could be persuaded to drop the <atom:email> tag altogether, and to use the author's display name instead of an address for the <author> bit. Then we wouldn't need signatures.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ildhund wrote:

There are two bit. Then we wouldn't need signatures.

Noel

I'm reading them via Google's Reader ( a great reader BTW try it). I don't see the point of signatures at all. If I want to respond to a thread that has come in via RSS then clicking through via the title allows me to get to the thread quickly. There one can see whom one is respondingn to. So <shrug> I don't see the point in signatures; sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use NetNewsWire on the Mac. I don't see the problem you are seeing. Everyone is appropriately credited for their posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd. This is what I see in IE7:

unaccredited_feed.PNG

I.e. only a generic email address. In the underlying XML for your item, I see this:

unaccredited_feed_xml.PNG

Not a Kazlow to be seen, so where does NetNewsWire get it from? Perhaps it's not using Atom?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeKazlow wrote:

I use NetNewsWire on the Mac. I don't see the problem you are seeing. Everyone is appropriately credited for their posts.

That's strange. I'm using NetNewsWire on a Mac but get the omniumgatherum address for posters. Is there some preference or other setting for NetNewsWire that needs to be switched on?

MHP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to know how you're getting NNW to see anything other than forums@adobe.com too, because I'd really like to know who I'm reading, without going to the forum each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria.Bampton wrote:

I'd love to know how you're getting NNW to see anything other than forums@adobe.com too, because I'd really like to know who I'm reading, without going to the forum each time.

I don't know how you did it, Victoria, but of the 200 or so forum messages I read this morning, yours was the only one to identify the author in NNW!

MHP

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bizarre!  No, I don't know how I did it either!  The only thing I can think is that I have 'show email address' turned on in my profile.  Could that be it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria.Bampton wrote:

Bizarre!  No, I don't know how I did it either!  The only thing I can think is that I have 'show email address' turned on in my profile.  Could that be it?

Maybe so. Let's see. I'll turn 'show email address on'...

MHP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote:

Maybe so. Let's see. I'll turn 'show email address on'...

Yes, that's it! My own email address is now appearing in NNW.

MHP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines