• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spam in the Reader forum

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2011 May 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Reader forum has been spammed since about 10 hours ago. Despite the several reports in the Spam thread, the spam messages are still piling up. This is making the forum nearly unusable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2011 May 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Maybe the idea of "specially enabled users" is not so bad after all.

Is this worth discussing, and perhaps implementing?

Yes and yes, IMO.  Of course, we don't know if it's possible without completely reprogramming the forum software, but it's just a more conservative version of the idea I proposed (where anyone could zap spam), so I'm for it.

Whereas the forum requires 4 "just plain users" to report a post as abuse (with reason: spam) before hiding it, such a specially enabled user could do it in one shot using the same mechanism.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only fly in oniment could be it could be mis-used if people have grudes against other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abuse of the abuse reporting system is of course abuse in itself.  It should be ridiculously easy to tell if somone zapped a post that wasn't spam.  If it happens too much the offender could be stripped of his/her special status after review by a mod or admin.  I just don't see this as a problem. 

People who are made mods are given that kind of responsibility.  Maybe we just need more moderators?

Something that spreads the spam management job out to more conscientious people is a Good Thing and is worth a little extra risk of something going wrong.  What's the alternative?  Doing nothing at all?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. As long as there is enforment of removal for abuse of power. There should be a one, or two strike system. if you do something by accident, you have forgiveness for one or two accident reports. If it becomes a habit, remove them.

I am Moderator on a Yahoo group for Intuit Quicken and I have removed  post because of Spam. It only be twice. But we have a ver low incident of Spam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 11/05/08 01:41:

Is this worth discussing

Not if you do so under the illusion of it ever being implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That struck me as kind of a snide remark. Could you please clarify:

• Are you an "insider", with knowledge of what really goes into the forum software change process?

• If so, is that you just think this is a bad idea? In that case why not just discuss it intelligently with the rest of us?

• Or are you just frustrated (as most of us are) about the apparent lack of change in the forum software and just expressing your disapproval of that?

(Frustration growing by the moment as I try to edit the format of this bullet list into submission... )

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No he doesn't want anything threatening or weakening his power.Pure and simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

No he doesn't want anything threatening or weakening his power.Pure and simple.

Sh'yeah. THAT'S helpful Phillip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading many of his posts over time, I believe the answer is

• Or are you just frustrated (as most of us are) about the apparent lack of change in the forum software and just expressing your disapproval of that?

I don't think it was a jab of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

That struck me as kind of a snide remark.

I believe the official term is "Expectation Management". Or does anybody expect Adobe to spend actual money to contract Jive to implement what is being discussed?

I sometimes notice people spending a lot of effort on issues where both the cause and the solution are well understood from a technical perspective and the only thing is lacking is the actual implementation of the solution since Adobe doesn't want to invest in the platform. Or spending a lot of time inventing workflows for usability problems where the probability of that workflow being implemented is indistinguishable from zero. Sometimes I will warn people they are wasting their time if they do so for any reason other than their personal entertainment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you have finally admitted it. Adobe don't give a rats behind about support and support groups. Further supposition from you admission. They would just as soon not have to deal with any support.

If that's the case I would suggest everyone leave, and setup their own group away from Adobe. Since adobe don't care.

FileMaker has such a Group based in Australia. Both Quicken and Quickbooks have their own groups hosted on Yahoo. I am moderator in th Quicken Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

If that's the case I would suggest everyone leave, and setup their own group away from Adobe. Since adobe don't care.

You first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Well you have finally admitted it. Adobe don't give

You see, I think there may be some mistake here...

Jochem has the words "COMMUNITY PROFESSIONAL" under his name, but (as far as I know) COMMUNITY PROFESSIONALs aren't Adobe employees.  I'm not even sure they're privvy to any information beyond what we lowly users get.  And they're not professional in the sense of being paid for being here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The possible mistake here is in thinking that Jochem's remarks are some kind of "official" word from Adobe, though he sometimes makes remarks that seem quite "official sounding".

Jochem, do you really know whether the probabiliity of Adobe implementing the anti-spam features we're discussing are indistinguishable from zero - save from their past history of keeping the status quo, which we're all aware of?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a Moderator at Adobe, he has to have some inside knowledge.

Especially when he makes comments  such as I commented on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote on 11/05/11 02:24:

Jochem has the words "COMMUNITY PROFESSIONAL" under his name, but (as far as I know) COMMUNITY PROFESSIONALs aren't Adobe employees. I'm not even sure they're privvy to any information beyond what we lowly users get.

Community Professionals are under NDA with Adobe and do get some

information, such as a heads up on release dates, early access to beta's

and bugfixes etc., before the general public gets it.

Jochem, do you really know whether the probabiliity of Adobe implementing the anti-spam features we're discussing are indistinguishable from zero - save from their past history of keeping the status quo, which we're all aware of?

Do you think Adobe knows themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they should

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think Adobe knows themselves?

Great line, and so very glad that I had swallowed my sip of water, or I'd be drying out the laptop.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote on 11/05/07 04:16:

I have noticed that somebody is moderating these forums because two of my messages from DW have been deleted because I mentioned Microsoft's Expression Web (under $100) and free version Microsoft Sharepoint Designer 2007 for a newbie to get into HTML/CSS before spending about $200 on Dreamweaver.

I don't know about any of your messages getting removed because of that

reason. I do know about 2 of your messages (and a lot more) in the DW

forum getting deleted yesterday evening when the OP reported them as

abuse and I agreed that it was the wrong place for smart remarks about

some software platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2011 May 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to say that all the spam messages in the Reader forum reported today in the Spam report thread have been eliminated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of sports-related spam posts in the Reader forum has been on the increase, specially on days of important matches. And, as hard as JC and company strive to eliminate them quickly, they frequently remain there for hours after being posted.

I always undestood that one way to help in combating spam was to eliminate spam messages as soon as possible, not in hours. Some time ago, I suggested in this same thread, and combining suggestions from others, that some of the users that daily report spam in the forums they frequent be appointed as some kind of "limited moderators", with the only privilege of temporarily removing messages that for them are obvious spam. If considered necessary (I wouldn't consider it necessary, for they have been reporting spam for months), the removed messages could be temporarily stored in a safe place where they could be revised by someone with more experience and authority, before being eliminated for ever.

Some persons have questioned this idea, on the grounds that these limited moderators could use their powers for unjustly removing messages from people they do not like. I find this very thought insulting for the people who report messages daily, and could equally been said, equally insultingly, of any of the present moderators.

It has also been pointed out that the idea is not even worth considering unless someone is under the illusion of it ever being implemented. Been a complete ignorant of the innards of the software behind any forum, my naive impression is that this simple idea cannot be all that difficult to implement. And if it were implemented, spam messages would only be vissible for minutes, not hours. And I am naive enough to think that this would even make easier the task for all of those who are now trying to delete spam messages and disable their posters.

In short, I still think the idea is at least worth considering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is what I am talking about:

Spam.jpg

And the list is longer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And this is now the second page of the topic list in the Reader forum:

Spam2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines