• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still no supervision in the French and Spanish forums?

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2005 Aug 06, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot that threads are extremely short lived in this forum, and the discussion that really began within an unrelated thread, here

Pierre Courtejoie, "Shouldn't these links be removed as soon as possible?" #8, 27 Feb 2005 1:21 pm

has already gone to the Archives, where it is in danger of going to the limbus in the near future.

I still think that this is an important issue, and still wait to see any improvement in those forums showing that the messages by Pierre and myself on the subject have not fallen in a void. Although we both value and thank Neil Keller for his attempts to get some reaction in higher quarters, his attempts have unfortunately been a failure.

It is pathetic to see pages in the forums in Spanish with templates that are written in a mixture of English and a very bad Spanish. It is even more pathetic that JC stopped more than a year ago feeling authorized to introduce any non trivial change to improve this situation. The worst part is however to feel that there is no one listening, or at least willing to admit that there might be problems in those forums.

I feel very disappointed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 460 Replies 460
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2006 Dec 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Your memory reaches back to post #161, at the least; you may see me as (British) English/Danish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Well, I was sure to remember having talked with you about your not very common name, and also having found one person with that name in the telephone lists of Chile. I was almost certain that you were of Danish origin, so when Ramón said "French" I thought I was perhaps mistaking you with someone else. It is a releif to know that I wasn't, although I must confess I had forgotten about the British part...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacques Bougie... has a nice ring to it, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bert,

No email, yes (si)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I was referring to Jacob's Christmas greeting in French, Joyeux Noël et une nouvelle année heureuse, not his nationality, about which I knew nothing. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón,

Although I don't know any Danish, I can at least differentiate it from French! XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OFF TOPIC:

Why the rest of the world should learn law enforcement from the Danes:

c CLICK HERE
Long live Denmark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2006 Dec 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us hope this year will bring good news in this thread; 2007 here, now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2006 Dec 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besr wishes for you, Jacob; still about three and a half hours to wait here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2007 Jan 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it would be one hour later, Claudio; are you not in Chile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am, but we have different summer and winter times. Don´t know offhand which is the "official" one, probably Winter, but cannot check easily right now -I'm out of town, using a telephone line to connect to the Internet, and this is working at about a quarter of its usual speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, Claudio; once again I forgot about your having summer now, and summer time of course.

Never having crossed the equator, I have often wondered how it would be to see the sun and moon rise, move, and set, in the opposite direction. Have you tried it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>the sun and moon rise, move, and set, in the opposite direction.

????

Come again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 02, 2007 Jan 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be on the equator when they go into reverse ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2007 Jan 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, they don't. The sun and the moon rise from the East and set in the West, same as there. You do get a completely different view of the stars, though: Orion looks upside down, and you can see the Southern Cross almost all night long, whereas it is hardly seen in the Northern hemisphere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2007 Jan 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

>The sun and the moon rise from the East and set in the West, same as there.

I know, but up here the midday sun is in the south, as is the moon at its highest; so when we face it, it moves from the left where it rises to the right where it sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mind has just boggled! :o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I would never had guessed you were talking about that kind of reversal. As a matter of fact, I have never noticed it while in the Northern hemisphere. Although I have noticed thay our North looking windows become South looking over there. :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, I take it that in the north you have not needed to find your way through forests and over mountains and plains by the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I don't know about the northern hemisphere, but I do know a number of people around here who can orient themselves using the stars -myself included. Of course, we are unlucky in not having the equivalent of the North Star. But things are changing rapidly since the advent of GPS, so I am afraid we are talking of a dying science/art. Except perhaps for those fishermen who still go out in oar propelled boats, of which we have a non negligible number in Chile. And a few others like them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Especially during the day you will still have to know the positions at different times.

By the way, did you know that the trees follow the sun, so much so that they twist slightly? The safest way to determine whether timber comes from the north or from the south.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in the particular case of Chile, which is a very narrow and long country, during the day we have the Andes to orient ourselves...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2007 Jan 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, indeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines