Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Big Picture

Feb 28, 2009 Feb 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what is not being understood by some participants in these discussion is the scale of change which will follow the transition to the new forums.

Have a look at http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/clearspace-community and you'll see that the purpose of the Clearspace Community software goes way beyond the objectives that might be deduced of the current forums and their underlying software.

My personal take on things is that Adobe have decided that the whole style of the user interactions and community here is no longer appropriate to their corporate needs. There was a time when provision of a support forum was not seen as much related to the main thrust of company objectives, but those days have gone. Online communities are now one of the chief means of interaction between a corporation and its customers - and it's a two way channel. Interaction between those customers is also facilitated by within the online community but that's not necessarily deemed to be the key objective.

The forthcoming change represents, sadly, the end of this community and the creation of a new and very different one. The functional elements and the look and feel of their presentation in the Jive software are carefully designed to foster a particular style of interaction between users of Adobe software, and beween the users and the company. The functions and form are designed for an over-riding purpose and to support an overarching communications philosophy, not thrown in upon a whim.

It seems very clear to me that Adobe expects that the new community will have a significantly different flavour to the old, and that they will have anticipated that not all of the present members of this (and the Macromedia) communities will feel at home in the new one. There's no need to warn Adobe that some people will be unhappy enough not to return - they will have accepted that risk at the outset.

While there will be an inevitable loss of expertise, and it will be sad to see the last of some regular participants here, it seems clear to me that Adobe are hoping that the new style of community (moulded by the software they have chosen to create it) will bring in new members who may well have considerable expertise in the products, but who have not felt encouraged to participate in the style of community we have here now. The company will also be hoping that those newly requiring support will find the new site to be more effective and simpler to use than the old, and that the site will enable the company image and the strengths and usage of the product lines to be put across more clearly.

That, as I see it, is the big picture. There's not much point in discussing the points of detail unless in the context of the overall company objectives in making these changes - and if you disagree with the whole underlying premise of the changes, then there's little chance that you'll like much of the detail either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
Advisor ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Curt Wrigley,

> Care to specify whom you are addressing in #224 before epithets start flying around unnecessarily?

Sorry, a post slipped inbetween. To You Sir. I think you can make more headway submitting logical requests rather than demands and rants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> For me the issue is set in stone. I won't change my mind.

You did about never upgrading to CS4!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley,

Thanks for clarifying. Now I can confidently tell you that I think you are a despicable pompous ass. I don't know you from a hot rock, but whoever the hell you are, you have no business presuming to know what I want or don't want.

I'm not asking for any favors from you or from anybody else. I have no delusions that anything we say here, regardless of how we say it, is going to amount to a hill of beans. The forums are Adobe's to do whatever the hell the corporation wants to do with them, including killing them through foot dragging and sheer ineptitude and cluelessness, like they did to the Adobe Studio Exchange.

As for your presumptuousness in thinking you can lecture me, I'll have you know that the s.o.b. who can tell me what to do hasn't been born yet, twit. Your opinion on this specific subject is worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you missed my point. Sry for bothering you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many more days, minus one hour lost last weekend, are we going to have to log in every time we want to get back onto the forums, for those of us who shut our systems down every night?

That's a rhetorical question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting article about Jive:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=14210&tag=nl.e589

The punchline of the piece:

The end game: Jive is likely to be acquired by a larger fish after it makes some hay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Marks adds that Jives biggest challenge will be to wean people off email, which today is really the collaboration software in the enterprise.

I thought that was going to be used here instead of NNTP? I thought the first time I looked at it that it didn't seem to be really a forum software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hint: it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I mean, I realised from the first time I looked at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Reputation management software, no doubt ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines