• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top participants

Advisor ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's it based on?  As of this morning, I am above someone who has 100 more points than I do.

Is it just based on post count or is there some secret Adobe judge, reading everyone's posts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only good thing about keeping Top Participants is that it generates communication amoungst posters pointing out the inconsistancy of application on different forum pages.

Another positive is that it helps fill in the wasted space on the right side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Personally I tend to ignore that the top participants list is even there. I'm more interested in the "meat" of the thread.

I can't help but wonder if in some cases it causes what I'm going to dub as "The knighthood effect". Occasionally helpful Harry suddenly is knighted and becomes Sir Post A Lot in nothing but a pure effort to watch himself climb the ranks of the list.

I'm not saying I've seen this anywhere. Just that I view it as a potential hazard.

Good Karma and happy Friday to all! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hazard is real because the base upon what the top participants is built upon is not solid. There are no rules holding it nor guiding it. People have to guess thus causing confusion. Post 16 and 19 are  fine examples of the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody reads post #1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody reads post #1.

Or post #4!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, perhaps the message name should be changed. Use an ominous looking icon and big bold letters that say something secret like...

StopIt.png

Forum admins only! DO NOT READ!!!

StopIt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

StopIt.png

Forum admins only! DO NOT READ!!!

StopIt.png

This is great, it deserves points.  Of course, it'll probably just make people want to read it more.    You could put this one above it, I was going to use it to protest moderator aggression, but I've given up and have decided to retire from that business.

go_back_to_sleep_small.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fr. Watson wrote:

Or post #4!

It has nothing to do with the number of posts, only the points earned in that forum ranked against others in the forum.  So if there is a forum where few points are awarded the top participants can be confusing as they may have  10 points and 3 posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt y wrote:

Fr. Watson wrote:

Or post #4!

It has nothing to do with the number of posts, only the points earned in that forum ranked against others in the forum.  So if there is a forum where few points are awarded the top participants can be confusing as they may have  10 points and 3 posts.

Doesn't seem to work that way in the Acrobat forum. There's one prolific poster with a very low point count that shows as one of the top posters.

From the looks of it, it goes by quantity over quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right.  I think it's quantity.  Me and #3, Larry G. Schneider, are popping back and forth between 3rd and 4th.  I can get into 3rd with only posts, no points.

Excuse me while I go agree with every solution offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesseham wrote:

Excuse me while I go agree with every solution offered.

I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if there is a forum where few points are awarded the top participants can be confusing as they may have  10 points and 3 posts.

If it were only points, then some, who have only posted to a particular forum, but had many points, would be #1. It is not just the points, but the total posts, and also the posts to a particular forum. There are several criteria that are apparently factored in.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all i know is that i was top participant in this forum, now i'm a nobody. my ego is bruised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

all i know is that i was top participant in this forum, now i'm a nobody. my ego is bruised.

Guess that means you comments are "pointless". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just based on post count or is there some secret Adobe judge, reading everyone's posts?

There is actually a super-computer in Langley, VA, USA, that crunches the numbers on each poster. Their rating is based on many factors: posts, points and how many Adobe products they have registered. Oh, and then there are the PM's to Adobe managment on how helpful these people have really been.

A few have been cited for bartering these elements, but that is frowned upon.

In all seriousness, it's based on a couple of aspects:

1.) posts to a particular forum

2.) posts to all fora

3.) points

As an example, I have more posts and more points than a respected contributor to a particular forum. However, he is rated above me for that forum. My posts are spread out over many fora, and his are mostly into that one forum. In that forum, I would not have it any other way, and would not expect it to be otherwise.

It is an amalgam of several factors. It is probably weighted, but I do not know what the factors are. Maybe one of the MOD's can address that.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what are the basis for ranking the posters who make it to the list. In any case, I have just taken a look at it and notice the following:

1. It is called Top participants, but also includes some who haven't been promoted from users to participants.

2. It includes Ramón, who resigned and was then banned.

3. I made it to the list for the first time since the new forums were implemented!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Claudio González wrote:

1. It is called Top participants, but also includes some who haven't been promoted from users to participants.

Hah! That's just Jive's stupid UI designers smoking weed again. "Participant" is a posting "rank", whatever the heck that means.  It also just happens to be the word they used for that feature when they should have just named it "Top Users".  (Of course, "User" is a "rank" too...)

In other words "Top Participants" is inclusive of all people (lack of better term) here, not just people with the "Participant" rank (that the Jiveware designers came up with one day while smoking crack).

I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines