• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What, no congratulations?

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that, in the not extremely frequent occasions in which I can still answer specific product questions, I seem to be the champion in choosing poor lost souls who never find their way back to the forums. Having just reached the 1000 point mark in spite of this therefore looks to me as some sort of feat, and expected to be congratulated for it. I am disappointed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which reminds me that I had forgotten to comment on the much improved looks and functionality of the Search function in these forums. Congratulations to all those who are responsible for this positive change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! As of this weekend the search finally defaults to the current space instead of the full site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Thanks! As of this weekend the search finally defaults to the current space instead of the full site.

Which is even better... at least for my taste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¡Enhorabuena, Claudio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

¡Enhorabuena, Claudio!

I think that most of those who know me a little also know that I couldn't care less for this most useless addition to the forums (there are several others!). I only commented on this because earlier today my pointer rested accidentally on top of my avatar, and I found it funny to notice that I have such a round number of points, a number that I am sure is considered magic by some. And that it had taken me such a long time to get there...

In any case, thanks very much Tai for taking the trouble to congratulate me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I have such a round number of points...

I much prefer really round numbers, like 1024 or 2048, or my favorite 4096.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

I have such a round number of points...

I much prefer really round numbers, like 1024 or 2048, or my favorite 4096.

I am afraid I will never be able to get  1024 points with increments of 5 or 10 points only. Also, in our decimal number system, 1000 is a much rounder number than 1024... Or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1024 is taken from Binary number system.

and so on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillips, I know. My point was that we don't use the binary system in everyday life, but the decimal one, as I said in my last message...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, you might like this one: http://xkcd.com/1000/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my gosh! that's brilliant when you zoom in on it! once again xkcd for the win!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Congratulations!

Back when Adobe was doing the beta of the new, and improved (?) Jive, I noticed two folk with like 40,000 and 45,000 pts. Whew, that's a lot of "big-10" correct answers. I think that both were mainly active in the Flash forums.

Good luck, and happy holidays,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your listed with 43,347 Post yourself.  I've been posting on both Adobe and Macromedia Groups for years and I have something over 3,600. And I am on the computer almost everyday. You must keep it on and typing in your sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

…Back when Adobe was doing the beta of the new, and improved (?) Jive, I noticed two folk with like 40,000 and 45,000 pts. Whew, that's a lot of "big-10" correct answers…

Before Jive, the Adobe forums did not have "points" back then.  For a while, just prior to the change, they began showing the total number of posts, not points.  I had about 30,000 of those under my name myself.  They were as meaningless as the number of points are these days, in my view.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, I think that you will be congratulated with another red bar when you'll reach 2000 points

Most of the regulars don't care about points, if some strive for them and try to answer as many good questions as possible, it might be beneficial... but knowing that you can help is enough for most of us, and knowing that we'll also learn while sharing/teaching is another form of reward...

Phillip was not teasing you, he just used geek humor.

And, if you look at my "points" you'll notice that at a "point in time" if I might say, I got a single point??? I don't know if it is for the suggestion I made in the Kuler forum, or if there was a ghost in the machine, but there it is, with a rogue point... Is it so that I can have a prime number? And next, fractions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care about points. as long as I can either help or speak my opnion that's all that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, as far as I can see, nobody has defended the point system in this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pointsgiving started long ago outside the forums, in three other areas:

Community Help

Community Publishing System

Developer Connection

Some posters carried thousands of points from these other areas into the present forums right from the start when they replaced the fair forums.

In addition, all of these have much higher point limits (50 to 200 points).

Many posts in these forums are detailed tips (counting as 20 points elsewhere), and some of the more thorough answers that some of us give in these forums correspond to mini tutorials (counting as 50 points elsewhere), sometimes with more than one answer of that kind in each thread, sometimes even more than one from the same poster.

However, as we all know, in contrast to the other areas, the points in the forums are limited to 5/10 points and can only be given twice/once in each thread, and only by the OP.

And we all know how erratic the pointsgiving in the forums is.

For these reasons it is quite difficult to compare anything in any meaningful way.

The point ratings are as follows:

Community Help
  • 0 points - approved comment
  • 5 points - obvious correction, such as a typographical error
  • 10 points - minor correction or addition, such as a revised sentence or link
  • 20 points - intermediate addition, such as a detailed tip
  • 50 points - advanced addition, such as a mini-tutorial
Community Publishing System
  • 0 points - question
  • 5 points - helpful but incomplete answer
  • 10 points - correct, complete answer
  • 20 points - detailed tip
  • 50 points - advanced addition, such as a mini-tutorial
  • 100 to 200 points - conceptual overview; points awarded according to depth/length
Forums
  • 0 points - forum post
  • 5 points - helpful response
  • 10 points - correct answer
Developer Connection
  • Comments - follow Community Help point system above
  • 100 points - Cookbook post
  • 200 points - Developer Connection article

An overview can be seen here:

http://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

Thanks for posting that. Even though I'm a Community Help volunteer moderator I was unaware that the points listed there were remotely connected to the forum points.

Perhaps they have some bearing on the Adobe side, but like others in this thread, I have always ignored them. I think they are silly and possibly incite someone to post for the wrong reasons. (Just trying to get points racked up and ignoring the fact someone needs help with an issue)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still puzzled on how I got that lonely point...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PECourtejoie wrote:

I'm still puzzled on how I got that lonely point...

It could have been a stray neutrino. Or perhaps some mods have the power to award points in amounts not available to mere mortals...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vote goes to the neutrino theory. Contrary to popular belief, the volunteer mods don't have nearly the power some believe them to wield.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except possibly for one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Rick.

I first saw the link a good two years ago, posted by Jochem in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2226490#2226490

It leads on to this even older thread about points from the first time after the days of the fair forums, when some of us spent almost all of our time here, on forum comments:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/435134?start=0&tstart=0

That 122 posts thread is still one of my favourites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines