• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Adobe get a proper search function in its forums?

Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new forums design is running for quite a while already, but I still don't understand how the search function could pass quality testing and has not been updated, yet. Did that department sleep? I'm in the Photoshop forum for example and I want to search this forum. To do this I first have to to do an overall search, then go to more options, and then scroll painfully to a list of 100+ entries that I have to view through a small tiny window. I'm sorry to say that, but this is absolute crap. What's the problem? Why can't Adobe implement a "search this forum" option or at least make the listbox for the forum selection larger? I do not expect something like this from Adobe! When will this finally change? This is really frustrating.

Marcus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FastFeet wrote:

I do not expect something like this from Adobe!

Marcus

You'll learn to expect it soon enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been many suggestions in this forum on making the option box more managable and changing the search method.

As with other user suggestions to imporve the new forum they appear to fall on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FastFeet wrote:

When will this finally change?

Marcus

The day these Jive forums are replaced by something that works, probably.

It's pretty obvious that these forums (not a community anymore) are extremely low on their priority list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2009 Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

couldn't agree more...did nobody in a adobe hat ever try doing a search themselves before putting up the page?

completely and utterly useless to access information, and having to go back to the beginning every time arghhhh !...why cant I click on a forum, then search the seleted forum again and again until i find the solution/answer i'm looking for, rather than waste time starting from scatch?

...and whoever thought it was neat to put in a scrolling forum select menu in the not-so-advanced options with only 5 lines displayed when the list is way long with indented subcategories, one word - USEABILITY.....go get some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2009 Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How ever long, it will not be soon enough for me.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, actually Google is pretty good at ferreting out forum posts! I've seen Google bring me back posts that were made moments before searching to find posts that had an answer I wanted to link to.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should probably add that I'm not suggesting the search shouldn't be improved because Google finds things. Hopefully the search will only improve but I'm not holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

I should probably add that I'm not suggesting the search shouldn't be improved because Google finds things. Hopefully the search will only improve but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope you don't mean that improving the search function is not in any list of priorities...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Personally I wouldn't know either way. Aside from having moderator capabilities and dealing with only two of Adobe's 80+ products, I'm a user same as anyone else. As such, I'm not really privy to any list of scheduled enhancements. Assuming one were to exist. It may, and if it does I'm unaware of it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

LOL, actually Google is pretty good at ferreting out forum posts! I've seen Google bring me back posts that were made moments before searching to find posts that had an answer I wanted to link to.

Cheers... Rick

...and even deleted ones. This has been posted many times by many users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I have been using Google, since the forum changeover, because of the lack of a workable Search in this new & improved forum.

The biggest problem that I have is with all of the dead links that it still finds. I know that the Google'bots are weeding out many of these, but there are still a bunch in most searches. At least I can often get similar links from Creative Cow. Maybe in a few more months, the dead links will be a thing of the past. Here's hoping.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sad but I don't really even care if they ever do fix search.  I've been using google and random blogs in place of searching these forums for a while, and it's working fine so far.  There isn't much of value to search here anyway, seems to be pretty basic stuff nowadays, but maybe my perception is just skewed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't much of value to search here anyway, seems to be pretty basic stuff nowadays, but maybe my perception is just skewed.

I would not say that your "perception is skewed," as much of what is being posted in the Product fora, where I hang out, is pretty old hat. That's one reason that I do so many searches - the answers to the new issues are in so many of the old threads. I like being able to quickly limit to the Adobe fora, as that is where I know the answers reside.

Yes, I'm doing Google most of the time, but would love to have the old Search back, but would like to retain the "People" criteria dialog. I use that so often in Google, 'cause I often know who participated in the discussion, that I am seeking.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also prefer to search within one product (or even a sub-forum), not ALL Adobe products.

Man, whoever thought THAT was a great idea?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can. But it needs to be easier to find.

Just go to the search adobe.com window. Don't type anything in it. Just click on search button.

This will bring up another search area. You will see all products with a down arrow. Click on view all products and take your pick.

I am sure someone will point out a faster route to go.

MergeThis wrote:

I would also prefer to search within one product (or even a sub-forum), not ALL Adobe products.

Man, whoever thought THAT was a great idea?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the "More Options" link provides that list.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bad thing about that is having to scroll through the list and nothing is listed alphabetically and is very hard to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen, sister!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally, the default search location in the fair forums was All forums.

On 8th December 2004, early in the morning at 6:54 PST, I started a new thread in the Comments and Announcements about the Forums forum, as this forum was called then, with the suggestion to change the default search location to Current forum; at 9:52, in other words 3 hours later, John reported that he had made the change. The other posters in that thread were Claudio, Dave, Oz,  Kath, r_harvey, Dee, iGary, and Paz.

Those were the days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I notice in your list some names we don't seem to see frequently around here nowadays? Yes, those were the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 hours in WebX = 3 years in Jiveware* apparently.  (Hey, we're already 1/6 of the way there.)

*It's not software because software is actually engineered and designed before it's produced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree.

The Adobe search is quite annoying...    go to the upper right top, type your question,,  which brings up another search area in the middle of the page, where you type your question again,  but first you have to narrow your search to a product, in which you click on a drop dow menu which shows a list of a billion products,   And when you finally find it, and select this... the drop down window stays open,  .. and you're wondering.. is this working?.. as nothing refreshes at all..   so you click search again, , not really knowing if your proper "narrowed"  search was even enabled... and for me,  almost always,  the results are 0 results found

It's sad... I agree with others that using Google search.. far superior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines