Exit

Where are the email digests?

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the email digests?

Or aren't there any any more?

Or am I just not understanding how to get a digest from a particular forum?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure that is available. If people request it, and the technology can do it, it'll likely show up in time. The more people ask, the more apparent the need/desire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive Clearspace does not offer digests. I will put it on the wish list.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying top find a work flow that works.  My old one was digests, and I am perfectly willing to give them up, but the subject line indexing for email makes that unusable as a way to review lots of posts and the on line forum itself is slow for me. (I still think the javascript constant activity is a problem.  I tried to customize the "my view" to add forums, and if that option is selected, my P4 sticks at 100% doing something in internet explorer for minutes at a time with navigation frozen.) The navigation options make going from forum to forum difficult.  I have a been a regular contributor in the Encore forums, but try checking each of those forums when you have no idea what is in each one without selecting it.  Even book marking each one to make it somewhat easier is timeconsuming.  The bottom line for me has been that I have used all my time trying to find a way to work with the system.  So far I am still looking.

Also, email replies to the forums/discussions I've subscribed to are bouncing.  It appears to be an adobe address, but it is a jive server that is reporting a 553 error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been saving and searching e-mail digests for at least 5 years now. Very time efficient method for diagnosing and finding fixes or workarounds for issues with the Adobe Creative Suite. Great tool for helping the 500+ users we support in the U.S.

I scan the digests daily on the train and usually have an answer to our designer's questions before they ask them. If I can't find an answer by searching my archives, I have enough info to ask a semi-intelligent question and get a quick response.

It would appear that the current forum format requires searching through the forums while on-line, or reading through multiple e-mails daily to find that gem of info I can save for our users. Doesn't seem very efficient and will cost me a lot more time.

Please, bring back the digests.

Gary Scott

Landor Associates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reinstate them. Until there are Digests I am out of all Adobe forums. Don't have the time to followiw by visiting and cannot stand individiual mails as they are too many. Digests with a settable time between digests ariving (as in the old Forum) is a much better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto - I'm with Nini on this - I'm unsubbing from all forums.  Without the digests, I am frustrated with all the extra work I'm needing to do and still not getting a reasonable workaround.  Put in my vote for Jive Forum application to provide a Digest option! (methinks I'll pop over to their web presence and find a place to poke 'em on this topic - I'm sure they have a forum...)

daLizard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this as my vote for the daily e-mail digests. They were a wonderful way of learning from a wide range of users with different points of view.

Boy I already miss them!

Thanks,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACK!! I thought it was like the old forums and I subscribed to several of my old favorites. I just went to look at my inbox and I already have 20 e-mails. I am going to have to unsubscribe from receiving e-mail notifications altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vote to bring back the digest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also vote for the return of digests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree email digests are essential.

Please find a way to support email digests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gotta admit, I am having withdrawls not getting my daily fix of the digests. It was my primary learning time and I don't have time to go trolling through the forums one by one to look for replies and new topics.

The digest was soo much easier!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring back the digests. I turned on "email notification", built my Outlook Rules - and in only a few hours have discovered that it is not very useful to me, for the same reasons as described by the previous posters.

The new forum is really pretty but I am struggling with how slow it is. Maybe I am spoiled with a T-1 and a relatively new PC but I just can't spend so much time simply navigating. I hope this improves with time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and so people learn that "pretty" is wonderful, except when it's useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ilex, for a workaround, set the folder you are sending your premire stuff to for "arrange by" subject, but DO NOT group.  This is still inadequate, but I can skim through and have most topics make better sense.  Some do not sort by date, and the first post does not (no "re" in front of it).  If you can improve this, let me know.

I agree - we need digests as a tool.  It is much faster to skim a half day digest (by forum), then it is to skim 200 separate emails that cannot be sorted adequately.

As stated in other places, Jive should use current standards for tracking which email (i.e. topic/post) as person is responding to, and not turn the subject line into a unique identifier that defeats regular grouping by conversation/subject.  I do not, in hindsight, blame Adobe for not understanding how this would become a problem (we couldn't really test this effectively), but Jive lets Adobe down with this poor method.

For those of you who weren't tracking this in the "forum on forums" about the changes ahead of time, the judgment call was made that the recent adobe forums were not sustainable.  The staff member who delivered the news had very good credibility among supporters and critics alike, and I saw no reason to argue his conclusion.  (That's John above who pu digests on the wish list.)  The problems in a previous forum change were huge problems that truly rendered the forums unusable.  I do not like several of the problems in the current forums, but I don't see anything that will result in a roll back to the previous version given the stakes as I understand them.

I do not recommend discussing this here; go to those forums and read till you've seen about every possible point several times.  Then decide where to weigh in!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>> ilex, for a workaround, set the folder you are sending your premire stuff to for "arrange by" subject, but DO NOT group.  This is still inadequate, but I can skim through and have most topics make better sense.  Some do not sort by date, and the first post does not (no "re" in front of it).  If you can improve this, let me know.

Stan, thanks for the tip. You are right, it is better, but only marginally.

All the subject lines begin "[SPAM][InDesign]" and coupled with the post ID code tacked on the end, it is UGLY.

I am going to really miss following the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I do not have a problem with the new forums and the layout. I just feel that the lack of e-mail digests is a "missing" feature that needs to be rectified. There is just too much traffic on most of the forums, Photoshop, Premiere, Dreamweaver etc. To keep up with your favorite topics. Besides having the digests allowed me to see comments on some threads I would never have followed and over time I found some real "nuggets" this way!

Still gotta say I miss them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everyone says: "it's pretty but...", "i don't have a problem, except...", "this is fine but..."

yea, that's how i like MY systems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Dave, I don't quite follow the tone of your reply?

To clarify my stance, I like the new forums!

However, I have only one issue and that is that what I consider an essential feature has been removed. As such I am discinclined to use this service the way I have been (for many years).

So in my opinion the ommission of this feature is not "fine"!

I think that Adobe should find a way to add this feature to this forum (even though I understand the forum software does not support this feature natively).

So one can only hope! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snarky7D wrote:

Sorry Dave, I don't quite follow the tone of your reply?

ok... let me help ...

To clarify my stance, I like the new forums!

ok, that's a start...

but you quickly contradict yourself:

what I consider an essential feature has been removed. As such I am discinclined to use this service the way I have been (for many years).

my point was that many people have come in and said "I LOVE the new system but... " then go on to list a fatal flaw.  i've said elsewhere it doesn't matter HOW GOOD IT LOOKS IF IT DOESN'T WORK (not yelling at snarky7d, i'm yelling at adobe!)...

So in my opinion the ommission of this feature is not "fine"!

exactly! neither are any of the other dozen or so show stoppers! and as each one stops a certain group of users from participating the way they want, each one forces those users to other venues. and if something isn't done for each of these show stoppers THIS FORUM IS DOOMED! and the longer they wait, the more they risk not being able to get those disgruntled expert users back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. I follow where you are coming from now.

First, I don't think I am contradicting myself in my liking of the forum layout yet being upset about the ommission of what I consider an absolutely crucial feature - the daily digest of a group -  IMO.

As such while the forum is still "useable" (and I am glad to see the final integration of the Macromedia and Adobe forums). Previousely I was never able to get a Dreamweaver or Flash digest sent to me daily due to the incompatabilities between the forum software. They may have been on the same page, but they were two different systems! So when I saw that the new forum was up I went in and happily subscribed to forums such as the Dreamweaver and Flash groups expecting a daily digest.

Because I did not read and because I assumed Adobe would not be arrogant enought to drop the digest feature (without consulting users), within an hour or two my mailbox was flooded with e-mails! That may be the way some people like to receive their information, but it is not for me! BTW, the only thread I am subscribed to is this one!

So now not only am I unable to get a new Daily Digest of Dreamweaver, Flash etc, but my old Digests of Premiere, After Effects, Encore etc are history! And even though I think the forums are relatively well designed and laid out compared to the many other forums out there. I do not have the time or inclination to go trolling through group after group and topic after topic!

So like you, I am not happy with Adobe and say to them  - your forums are too extensive for users to have to endlessly search through group after group and topic after topic to keep up-to-date with the information they need. You have made it harder to use than ever. And like Dave says, you are alientating not just expert users, but all users - who are the lifeblood of these forums and many have spent countless hours providing a valuable contribution and support to others (like myself)!! These forums have been invaluable especially when you have released buggy products with issues as users can provide feedback, solutions and workarounds much quicker than your Adobe Updater.

Oh, BTW Dave, I am curious, what are your other showstopper issues with the forum besides the lack of a digest? I have just plain not used the forums whatsoever (besides this topic) since the changeover and I am wondering what an expert user like you has found out.

Cheers,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snarky7D wrote:

Oh, BTW Dave, I am curious, what are your other showstopper issues with the forum besides the lack of a digest? I have just plain not used the forums whatsoever (besides this topic) since the changeover and I am wondering what an expert user like you has found out.

Rather than contaminating this topic with such an extensive list, you might want to read Forum Comments

But, as you implied, who has the time? I don't care much for digests, but I hope to use the email system when/if they get it hammered into compliance. It seems to me that while they're working in that section of the code, it is the opportune time to work on implementing a digest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

, I am curious, what are your other showstopper issues

my biggies are

1. lack of ability to return to last read post in a thread
  2. when using the back button and not on page 1 of the topic list, you're dumped back to page one - makes it impossible to read posts beyond the 1st page.
  3. the speed and responsivness of the current forums vs. the old forums.
  4. the fact that the right hand column goes away when you go into reply/post mode. this causes the scroll bar and the width of the reply box to go off screen for me becuase i browse with the page zoomed in so the right hand column is scrolled off the page. either leave the right hand column there when you got to reply to a post, or remove it when viewing the topic list, but don't change it so that the screen jumps all over depending on whether you're reading or posting!
  5. wasted space on the page on frivolities like "similar threads" and points and numbers of posts and icons/avatars. (not as big a deal for me as 1-4).

dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't make me turn this forum around! Stop with the repetition!

I'm going to mostly skim over what looks like the same ol' same ol' from the same people who have said it all before. In the process, I may well miss something important... but that's the risk I have to take to get through it all.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1921196#1921196

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines