• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration CUDA

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a late 2013 iMac. It has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB graphics card.

I use Premiere Pro CC 2019 and for years I've been able to use the Mercury Playback Engine CUDA

which greatly improves performance and and decreases rendering times for video and effects.

I think that since Apple went to OS Mojave my graphics card is now not supported for CUDA acceleration.

Now my rendering times have increased to the point that it takes forever to render out. Things I didn't

need to render also now need rendering.

Now my options are Mercury Playback Acceleration (Metal) or

Mercury Playback Acceleration (OpenCL).....both options are super slow for rendering.

Just asking if anyone has any ideas or am I stuck now with what I have?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Mojave, Apple no longer supports CUDA acceleration, nor any newer Nvidia GPUs. However if you have an older Mac that came with a Nvidia card built-in then it's still supported, just not with CUDA. So you need to use OpenCL or Metal in Premiere.

It may feel slower to you, but unfortunately that's unavoidable. What I've found is that with older Macs they tend to run better with older versions of the software that were available back when the machine was new; your iMac probably ran Premiere CC really great back in the day. But as the software and OS versions get updated the Mac tends to feel slower and slower. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with a Nvidia card, so I feel your pain. Every new version of Premiere seems to demand a beefier graphics card, and with an iMac there's no way to upgrade that component. The unfortunate truth is that only a newer Mac is going to give you the speed you want.

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't feel slower, it is extremely much slower. Sad thing is the computer was meeting all my needs and now it's a pain to even work in Premiere. OpenCL or Metal work almost the same and are essentially worthless compared to CUDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could it be that Premiere now is using integrated GPU instead of GTX 780M? I dunno how it's in CC2019, but previous versions have an option [text deleted]

Also, when comparing speed vs old projects be sure the effects are identical, otherwise you may come to false conclusions.

For example, just a change in order of effects could switch renderer to SW-only mode. Details here:

Re: Order of filters/effects and drop in CUDA-rendering speed, is it a bug or a feature?

Moderator Note: text removed. Sorry. Please do not use Console to change the application. It is against our corporate guidelines and is a request from Adobe Premiere Pro engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines