Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader displays Wingdings-like characters for a single user only

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a real head-scratcher here. We have a single user who cannot properly see a PDF file that was sent to us by a customer. When she opens it, it displays Wingdings-like characters in place of the actual font used in the PDF:displayerror.png

However, whenever anyone else in our company opens this same file, it displays normally. The PDF does not have embedded fonts, but the only fonts used in the document are Arial and Times New Roman. We are all using Windows 10 OS. I checked the user's installed fonts and Adobe Reader settings vs mine (I can see it properly), and they all match.
I've also attached the file.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This seems to be the only problem file for this user but I don't want the issue to crop up repeatedly.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @marshaw34119649 

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. It seems like the font is not properly embedded in the PDF file or not present on the user's computer or the user may not have the required permission to use the required font.

Open the Acrobat application go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Page Display > under Rendering, select 'Use local fonts' > Click OK and check if that works. 

For more information about font embedding, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-fonts.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

Unfortunately I already tried everything you suggested. I suggest you reread my post more carefully.
The fonts are not embedded in the PDF. However, the only fonts used are Arial and Times New Roman. These are present on both my and the affected user's computer.
The settings are already set up so that Use local fonts is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @marshaw34119649 

Sorry for the confusion. I tried to open the PDF file that you have shared, and its opening fine at my end too. 

What is the version of the Acrobat DC the user is using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.3.20281 (Mac) or 22.3.20282 (Win) installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

The version is 22.3.20282. I did check for updates and there were none available. I tried to repair the installation from the Control Panel and that didn't work. I also uninstalled Reader, downloaded a fresh installer, and reinstalled with no success.

Since this was only one PDF affected I just had the user pass it to someone else to handle, but if it happens again I will try the repair from the Help menu, try resetting the preferences, and try creating a new local admin profile in Windows to see if that does the trick. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...the only fonts used are Arial and Times New Roman. These are present on both my and the affected user's computer.

There are many variations of these fonts, and the hidden font name must be identical for devices to recognize them as the same.

So it's risky to not embed fonts into a PDF, even if you think the end user will have such common fonts.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are the same. I did not "assume" the end user had these fonts; I checked. Please do not waste my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER DISCUSSIONS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a common error: when the PDF was created, that particular font wasn't embedded into the PDF file.

When fonts aren't embedded into a PDF, then the file relies on finding a similar font on the end user's computer/device to display the text.

Seems that your end user doesn't have the correct font on their system, and Reader (or Acrobat, or any other PDF reading app) is swapping in Wingdings.

Solution #1: Re-export the PDF, this time checking the option to embed all fonts into the PDF.

Solution #2: You can attempt to force-embed the fonts into the PDF in Acrobat Pro. See instructions here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/text-changes-to-special-symbols-with-saving-pdf-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you reread my post more carefully.
The fonts are not embedded in the PDF. However, the only fonts used are Arial and Times New Roman. These are present on both my and the affected user's computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also seem to have missed the part where the PDF was sent to us by a customer, and thus we have no control over how it was exported and whether fonts were embedded or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marshaw34119649, I did indeed see those comments.

But the problem is still the same: all fonts must be embedded into the PDF to avoid having the swapped characters.

If you really like Wingdings so much that you want to keep the problem as is, then ignore the advice you've recevied in this thread and be happy.

Or you can find a way to address the cause of the problem and one way or another, get the fonts embedded into the PDF. Repeating the 2 methods of doing this:

Solution #1: Re-export the PDF, this time checking the option to embed all fonts into the PDF.

If it's a file from a client, our shop educates our client and guides them on how to check the option to embed fonts into the PDF, and then send us the revised PDF.  We process, review, and remediate countless PDFs in my shop. We've found that the foolproof solution is to educate our customer.

Solution #2: You can attempt to force-embed the fonts into the PDF in Acrobat Pro. See instructions here: How to Embed Fonts in a PDF.  Note that sometimes this method does not work, or Acrobat isn't able to embed all missing fonts.

the only fonts used are Arial and Times New Roman. These are present on both my and the affected user's computer

And as stated above, there are many different variations of Arial and TNR on everyone's workstations. Different font IDs. Different date stamps. Different font names (the computer names, not what we users see in font menus). Etc.

All of these can determine whether the PDF recognizes the workstation's font or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this only affects a single user, so it would be pointless to have the customer resend a file that works for everyone else. Instead of doing a "my way or the highway" approach to toruble-shooting and being rude, why don't you tell me how I check the "different font IDs, different date stamps, and different font names" to verify if the user's version of Arial and Times New Roman are in fact the same or different to determine if the font embedding is in fact the problem, since it affects zero other users in our entire 500+-person company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marshaw34119649 wrote:

Again, this only affects a single user, so it would be pointless to have the customer resend a file that works for everyone else.

Did you try Bevi's steps for embedding fonts into an existing PDF?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/text-changes-to-special-symbols-with-saving-pdf-i...

I just read the post she linked to. If I am reading it correctly, you can do this from one of the computers that is displaying the text correctly.

Bevi is giving you solid advice and information on how to resolve your issue. You haven't said if you have tried any of her suggestions or simply dismissed them.

why don't you tell me how I check the "different font IDs, different date stamps, and different font names" to verify if the user's version of Arial and Times New Roman are in fact the same or different

You might ask this question on the Type and Typography forum or possibly do a web search. Checking font IDs is not a question about Acrobat Reader. Here's the link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/ct-p/ct-type-and-typography

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your completely unhelpful reply, Bevi's burner account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-eI cannot use Bevi's steps for embedding fonts into an existing PDF from one of the computers displaying the PDF correctly because it requires Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-eI cannot use Bevi's steps for embedding fonts into an existing PDF from one of the computers displaying the PDF correctly because it requires Acrobat Pro.

By @marshaw34119649

I'm confused here.

So because you don't have the software to do the task that needs to be done, you deride me and state that my solution was unhelpful?

Wow. That's a great way to live life, isn't it?! 

Here's one more suggestion: download a free trial of Acrobat Pro https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/free-trial-download.html and give it a try on that document. After it embeds the fonts, see if that corrects the font problem on the other computer. If it works and this is a task that you'll need to do frequently, then you might want to consider upgrading your Acrobat to the Pro version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I don't have the software to employ the solution that you suggested, then yes, your answer is unhelpful to me. Kindly stop replying to this thread or I will lodge a formal complaint with PubCom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thread locked because OP @marshaw34119649 is acting against our Community Guidelines.

Please refrain going forward or we may have no choice but to ban you from the site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines