• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Stop PDFs From Opening When Saved via MS Word/Excel

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the latest version of Adobe Reader (18.011.20040) on my new computer. I create files all the time through Microsoft Word and Excel. When I save these files as PDFs, Adobe Reader automatically opens. I do not want that to happen. I simply want it to save as a PDF and go on with my life. How do I stop it from opening automatically?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

That won't be a setting in Reader. It will be in Word.

If you are using Words pdf generator, after using Save as>pdf, deselect the box that says "Open file after publishing". If you are using "Save as Adobe PDF" choose the box that says "View result".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

I found a solution to the PDF file opening in Chrome immediately after download:

1. Open Chrome Settings
  2. Expand Advanced
  3. Select Downloads
  4. Select Clear next to "Open certain file types automatically after downloading"
    • If you don't see this, your browser was not set to "Always open with system viewer"
  5. Go to Privacy and security
  6. Expand Site Settings
  7. Click on PDF Documents
  8. Make sure Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome is enabled.

I don't use other browsers enough to verify these

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful advice! Worked for me as well. I had been struggling with this same issue for months. Thank you so much for sharing, we really appreciate it ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. It was so annoying opening downloads automatically in Adobe, but the issue is now fixed. You are the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU thank you! This has been driving me nuts for EVER! Much love for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Work requires me to regularly use a 'Save as PDF' feature in our browser-based app. This removes several clicks (and pauses) from a process I do about 50-100 times a day. 

You rock! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that was helpful. Had the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  It was Chrome all along.  "Select Clear next to "Open certain file types automatically after downloading"" did the trick!
Thank you, Sweet Pea & Rose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have changed my life, thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appropriate response- I am with you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now August 5, 2021 does anyone know any additional steps are needed?  I'm excited for this to work but it has not after following these insutructions.  I've even  rebooted.  Thanks , Kimberly   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I logged in for the first time to say thank you. This is the kind of setting I would have never expected to find in Adobe preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet Pea & Rose, you are a beginner? my, you are going places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. When you are saving the new document, the print dialog box has a Properties button. Click that button and UNCHECK the box that says "View Adobe PDF results.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting you all were looking for can be found by selecting "save as" "PDF" & unchecking the box at the bottom of the windows prompt "View PDF after saving"  

save as OFF.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this still seems to require you to go into properties and unclick for every single file you are working with, becuase whenever I start something new, this setting is back to default and has to be toggled again.  For people that work with many versions and files, this is so infuriating. 

How can there not be a global setting that prevents your entire computer getting hijacked by Adobe needing to show you what you just elected to save??? 

Come the freak on.  This program is like the worst kind of teacher's pet that needs to be the center of attention constantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like all other printer driver settings, you use the Printers Control Panel to make permanent changes to “printer” properties. Each app resets the settings to default every time. Windows has always worked this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the confusion comes here from the word "Save".

* If you save a PDF from Acrobat, or download it from the web, or email, Acrobat is not involved in opening the file. 

* If you print to PDF, using the Adobe PDF printer, there is a choice of whether to open the file. This applies to the current print job only

* Like all printers, you make permanent changes using the Print Control Panel

* SOME people WRONGLY "save" a PDF from a PDF on a web site by printing it to a PDF with Adobe PDF. This is not how it is done! But if you should do this for any reason, the normal print option applies.

* SOME people WRONGLY save pages from a PDF in Acrobat using printing to Adobe PDF. No, use the Extract Pages function, and it won't open them.

I tried to make it clearer, but I might not have succeeded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Using your advice I was able to turn off automatic opening in Windows 10 by going to Printers & Scanners > Adobe PDF > Manage your device > Printing Preferences, then unchecking "View Adobe PDF results" and clicking OK. I print to PDF often when saving email messages in my reference files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same issue, but I don't have Adof PDF in my printers list! Any suggetions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contrado5CDA, unfortunately there are several quite different issues here, each one has different solutions. What is your specific issue - what app are you saving PDF from, and how do you save it (what do you click?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name , thank you for response! I am creating and printing file from code using iTextSharp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. You need to look for options in iTextSharp, or in the app which uses iTextSharp. I can tell you that Acrobat Reader does not wait for files and open them when created; it only opens files if another app or driver asks it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are MY HERO! This has been driving me nuts for months. My the world smile upon you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KEYEA007, try Sweet Pea & Rose's solution--- it took care of this annoying problem for me by changing one little setting in Chrome.  Turns out that was it all along!  Select Clear next to "Open certain file types automatically after downloading" (see full instructions above)--- hope this helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did work for me also, but I was using Snagit Editor for capturing screenshots and saving as a PDF.  I had to also uncheck this box 'view Adobe PDF results' in my Snagit Editor app.  So wherever you are printing to PDF 'from', you may have to uncheck this box in each app... word, excel, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out! Due to the fact that you are converting the file it will automatically pop up. Instead use Browser to print to PDF, it will save the file wherever you chose but not reopen. I used Microsoft Print to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines