• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error -"Sorry we can't open this document in Adobe XD" or Error 47 while opening the cloud document.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

If i will open a document from the cloud in XD i get this message:

Sorry we can't open this document.

Its a very important document for school. Who can help me?

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Crash on windows , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Hey everyone,

Sorry to hear that you're unable to open the file and get an error "Sorry that you are unable to open this document." or  Error 47, unable to open the document." We'll try our best to help you with this. 

First, there are two quick solutions which you may try. 

1. Open the same file on a different machine or user account( Windows 10/ Mac). 
  2. Download a previous version of the file from version history from assets.adobe.com using these steps (https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/revision-history-in-xd-helps-ensure-peace-of-mind-during-collaboration/m-p/10703548?page=1#M18044

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Hi there! This error message generally means that you don't have permissions to view the document, or that the document doesn't exist. Since you're obviously sharing between team members, is it possible that you have more than one Adobe IDs and are logged into one of them?

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Same error just now  

Got round it by logging in to different Mac user account, then CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

In case anybody needs a real fix, instead of the Adobe responses that don't work:

If you get error 47 after your computer has crashed, there most likely is a corrupt version of your file stored locally. I tried clearing temp files and all other suggestions, but couldn't get it fixed.

What did fix it in the end, was going to the CC Desktop app, and into your files. Locate the file that won't open, right click on it and select "make available online only". Now when you open the file it is pulled fro

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 362 Replies 362
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found a solution! I moved my team to Figma. This solutions solved all Adobe bugs like magic, without waiting for years for mircale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

My computer restarted after some installation updates and when I opened my .xd file, it shows me the following message:

There was an error opening the file... (Error Code: 47)

Does anybody know how I can resolve this error? Much help appreciated!

Regards,

Spencer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spencer,

On what platform have you seen this issue (Mac / Windows)?

What is your current XD version?

Do you remember if XD process was gracefully closed at restart? Was it somehow killed by the OS?

Thanks,
Mihai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Windows 10 Home.

It's currently version 0.6.20.7 Beta

It was somehow kill by the OS as I left the application running and closed my laptop screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

How is your system configured to handle closing the laptop screen? Does it "Suspend" or "Hibernate"?

Could you take a look at the XD file that can't be opened and see if it is an empty file (with size 0)?

If it's not empty, could you share it with us (via PM)?

Was it located on an external drive (USB stick or network drive)? Or a local drive other than C:?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have the same issue.

After updating today to the latest beta, I can't open my .xd file anymore - same error.

OS: latest Windows Insider Build - but that didn't changed since last use of XD.

Greets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some questions on your issue:

1. You worked on your document for some time with the previous version, you saved it, updated XD to latest beta and then you cannot open the document?

2. Were you able to open the document at least once after the upgrade?

3. Does it happen with all your documents?

4. Can you create new documents with the latest XD version? Can you save them?

5. Where is the document located on your storage?

6. Can you tell us more about the content of your document? How many artboards/ images? Can you share it with us via a private email?

Cheers,

M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mihnea,

1. You worked on your document for some time with the previous version, you saved it, updated XD to latest beta and then you cannot open the document?

I updated XD to the latest version, and while i was working on my document, my computer installed some updates that require rebooting. I left my application running and I closed my laptop monitor, putting my computer to a sleep mode, that is when the system rebooted. I opened my document to work on it and there was only an error message stating Error code 47.

2. Were you able to open the document at least once after the upgrade?

Yes, I can.

No, only for that particular document I was working on. Apparently, I had another file opened at the same time but there wasn't any issue with that as I did not make any save/changes on the other file.

Yes, I'm able to do both.

The document is located on my desktop.

6. Can you tell us more about the content of your document? How many artboards/ images? Can you share it with us via a private email?

It was an iPhone 6/7 layout with close to 40 over artboard/frames.

I've attached my file for your reference.

Sent from Outlook<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

Regards,

Spencer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1. I worked on my document, saved it, updated to latest beta and can't open my document anymore.

2. No, I couldn't open the document at least once.

3. I can open an old version of the same document - don't have other documents

4. Yes, I can create new documents and open them with the latest beta.

5. In my OneDrive-Folder in C - but I am only opening the document at one computer.

6. It's an Android project; about 20 artboards and 7 images

Can you share it?

Yes, to which email?

Thanks

Felix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

1. My email address is mihnea@adobe.com. You can upload the file to a dropbox or other cloud sharing from where i can download it.

2. Did you put your computer to sleep while editing the file that cannot be opened right now?

3. When updating to latest beta, did you close XD first and then update? Did you have XD open while performing the update?

Cheers,

M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1. Okay

2. Yes, I did that, but I always saves my document before I put my Computer to sleep and the last time I saved my document and shut down my Computer.

3. No XD was closed, before I performed the update.

Felix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error also happens on a file I was working on yesterday.
Upon saving the file (located on our internal server) I didn't encounter problems and have fortunately pulled pdf's of the document.
The filesize is 12,5mb, so the document is actually read by my OS. When opening the file it gives the error 47 message.

6 hours of work down the drain here… ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extra info: I've tried opening the file in previous versions of XD and the file is - apparently - still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your current XD version?

Could you send us the corrupted file? If yes, please PM me.

If you open the .xd file using a binary file editor, what do you see? Is it filled with zeroes?

Thanks,

Mihai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mihai,
The file doesn't open with zeroes, but simply lists numeral codes.
I've send you a PM for further investigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue! I would love some help! Looks like it happened to me a little bit differently, but here are my answers to the questions posted.

1. How/when did it happen?
Working on file, another program (skype) crashed so I saved and initialized a restart. The restart spun forever, so I hard-rebooted.

2. Were you able to open the document at least once after the event?

No

No

yes

Server. Still won't open after copying/pasting a version onto the desktop.

Really big doc. 20 ish artboards, lots of content, mostly text/rectangles. Few complex shapes. Some content pasted from Illustrator. For NDA reasons I can't upload at this time. I'll verify that if you really need it, though.

Bonnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also- Windows 10

XD version 6.24.10

It's possible the OS killed it while saving

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same thing happen to a file I spent a few hours on. Is there anything I can do to recover the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you check if you have a copy of the original file in the following folder:

C:\Users<your_username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Adobe.CC.XD_adky2gkssdxte\TempState?

It could be a file named like agc<NNNN>.tmp (e.g. agc15C3.tmp) that has almost the same size as the corrupted file. If you find it (being a temp file, it may be deleted after some time), rename it to something like “original_file.xd” and try to open it with XD.

Thanks,

Mihai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. It's work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I find this on a Mac OSMojave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow! thanks a lot Mihai! 
Worked like a charm for me. I had a power loss during working on a project. The OS killed the original file while saving it. Found an earlier version of my file in the file path you mentioned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Latest window 10.

Simply updated XD to the latest version and cant open any xd files which I have created.

In my case, when opening a file I created sometimes multiple instances of XD will open as well for no apparent reason.

And sometimes the sample UI project will open in the background instead. Very strange behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that when opening a file I created in the previous version, I get 2 more instances of XD open in the background (after getting the Error code 47)  and XD creates 2 new blank project files on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to make I understand. Did you upgrade to latest XD version, 0.6.32.10 that was just released today and after the upgrade, you are not able to open any files that were saved with the previous version of XD?

Cheers,

M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines