Highlighted

Adobe Air error message - macOSX Catalina

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting an error message aboutAdobe Air when I open an application (Traffic) that requires Adobe Air. The error message is: “Adobe AIR.framework” is damaged and can’t be opened.

This has begun since I updated to macOSX Catalina.

Why is this, and will an update be released to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Air error message - macOSX Catalina

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting an error message aboutAdobe Air when I open an application (Traffic) that requires Adobe Air. The error message is: “Adobe AIR.framework” is damaged and can’t be opened.

This has begun since I updated to macOSX Catalina.

Why is this, and will an update be released to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm receiving this message upon updating to Catalina, as well.  We have a critical Flex application that depends on AIR to function.  Given the recent news of Adobe AIR's handoff to HARMAN I wouldn't hold my breath about Catalina support (at least, not without having to shell out big $$$).  Might be time to abandon AIR in favor of Electron...

In any case, for now it looks like you can get AIR (and any apps that depend upon it) to work by disabling System Integrity Protection on your Mac, but that's an extreme measure that I wouldn't advise outside of limited testing.  Seems like the AIR framework must try to install itself into the now read-only system partition.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this ( taken from a similar thread )?

Apple has made changes to browing the file system by applications.

open your settings > security & Privacy.

Select tab privacy and scroll down the left list until you see "Full Disk Access"

Add your application to this and you won't have the read only problem again.

Please let us know if it works 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gerardm13115154 for the reply,

I cannot speak to bethwilson's experience, but enabling full disk access for AIR and my application didn't resolve the issue -- I receive the same error message that indicates "The AIR Framework is Damaged".  I've still had no luck outside of disabling SIP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no other way than disabling SIP? Adding Adobe Air or Adobe Air related apps to "Full Disk Access" Does not solve this problem. The problem is in Adobe AIR.framework how do we add whole folder for full disk access?

If I install Adobe Animate, does the AIR that is installed with Adobe Animate works? Or is it causing the same problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually our Air 29 mac app works fine on Catalina however what has changed is the "malicious software" security warnings that show on install and launch. These may seem like a show-stopper at first however there is a way around:  - until you get the full mac developer certification:

catalina.png

Now click "open" and you can open the app and from now on it will open as normal without this.

So the trick is to CTRL + Click on the App to launch !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you package your .air app with a runtime? Or are you able to get air runtime (from https://get.adobe.com/air/) installed in this manner?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the runtime is packaged ( captive runtime )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response @gerardm13115154. We don't have the dev resources to re-package all of our .air apps with a captive runtime, so hoping that Adobe/Harman are able to fix this issue for the standalone runtime soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had the ability to decipher any of this. LOL. I literally just had a new iMac dropped off last week. It's gorgeous and it's my first new iMac in a decade. I am a teacher working from home and our District just purchased a new program called Boardworks. It apparently works through something called Adobe Air, something I've never heard of before now. So I followed the directions given by the vendor and I'm getting all these errors and, basically, I can't even run the Adobe Air Uninstaller because I'm getting a message "Adobe AIR Uninstaller is damaged and can't be opened." I'm completely lost. I've tried plugging in some of the below code to the Terminal, but nothing is working. I'm not terribly tech savvy. I'd love to be able to use this Boardworks with my students, but I'm not sure what to do. Any help you can offer would be great. Thank you in advance,

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this fixed my shearwater dive computer app not working due to needing Adobe Air to open, as soon as I put in the command, machine pw, then second command was able to open the app and run the helper installer to load the plugins needed for the app to open and voila! you are awesome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share what he advisded you to do please Im getting the same error damaged Adobe air.  thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I need solution to this asap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having too

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had a chance to try it , but maybe packaging with the AIR run time + setting AIR config to 64-bit.
Seems Catalina only runs 64-bit software.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Air/How-do-I-create-a-Captive-64-bit-Adobe-Air-Application-For/td-p/9...

Step 1

Make sure you have downloaded the correct SDK and you have added it to your project

Step 2

Add "-swf-version=40" (without quotes) into the Project properties -> compiler options -> Addition compiler options

OR

Add this to your .as3proj file <option additional="-swf-version=40" /> (if you do it this way, you will have to close and then re-open your project for this value to take effect.

Step 3

Add the NEW <architecture>64</architecture> into your application.xml file. I put this just below the <name> node

If you don't add this new node into your application.xml file, it will default to a 32bit application

Step 4

Build your Air Application.

I hope this helps people out and thanks a lot to ASWC for the help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These few lines in the terminal will get you out of trouble

cd /Library/Frameworks
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ./Adobe\ AIR.framework

Then use:

ls -l@ ./Adobe\ AIR.framework/

to check the framework is no longer quarantined

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James, We are also running MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 with a few Adobe AIR Apps and your lines of code above worked a treat! Thank you very much! - Hooty Creative

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! It worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. Thanks!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jamesey2001, you made my day and happily go in to 2020!! Was for one month searching and trying, now it's fixed!! Thanks a real lot!! Ruud

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jamesey,

Thanks so much for sharing this info... please bear with us but we are not developers, so my questions may sound silly.  We just found the terminal and typed in the first line of your code.  Now the terminal is asking:

Password:?

What password is it referring to?  I also can't seem to be able to type anything on the screen now.  Anyone who can help?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is your password that you log into the machine with. You need to be an administrator of the machine to be able to do this. Let me know how to you get on.

Also for anyone else unfamiliar with launching the terminal application, follow the guide here: https://macpaw.com/how-to/use-terminal-on-mac

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamesey,

I am not able to type anything on the terminal at all.  The prompt is:

Password (and then a locked key). 

And I am the admin to my laptop.  Is there any other way to bypass this password?  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When entering the password for your account you won't see any characters in the terminal, so just type it in and hit enter and you should be good to go.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamesey,

It worked!  Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver!  Really appreciate all your help!  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the problem I had encountered since my upgrade to Catalina.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run these commans thru Terminal, but get a message after the second command (checking that the framework is no longer quarantined) stating:

-ls: ./Adobe\: No such file or directory

-ls: AIR.framework/framework: No such file or directory

HELP!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you need to be using 

ls -l@ ./Adobe\ AIR.framework/

all on the same line not as separate commands.

This is also just a confirmatory step so you could also just try running your air app to see if the removal of the quarantine attribute has been effective.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great!  Thanks! And thanks for sharing the Terminal information link...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this and it still isn't working for me. I tried after I installed the adobe air, after I removed adobe air, delted it from downloads, etc, and still it says the framework is broken. What am I doing wrong?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not need to uninstall or delete anything from downloads.

If you follow the 2 terminal commands above you should be OK. 

The reason it is failing is that OSX Catalina is quarantining the Adobe Air framework when you install it.

The terminal commands will remove the quarantine attribute from it and you should be good to go.

So fire up Terminal and copy and paste the 1st command and press enter to put you in the correct folder where the Adobe Air framework lives. Copy and paste the 2nd command into Terminal to remove the quarantine attribute, you will need to enter the password for your mac at this point ( note you won't see any of the characters as you type them ) and then press enter. The 3rd command is optional to check that the attribute has been removed, but you could simply run up your air app or installer to see if they now work.

One other thing to check is that the "Adobe Air.framework" is installed in the correct location:

/Library/Frameworks

If you are still having the same issue then post the output from your terminal session here and we can see if there is something else happening.

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get this to work for me. It returns this:

total 0

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   26 Apr 17  2019 Adobe AIR -> Versions/Current/Adobe AIR

com.apple.FinderInfo 32 

com.apple.quarantine 57 

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   26 Apr 17  2019 Resources -> Versions/Current/Resources

com.apple.FinderInfo 32 

com.apple.quarantine 57 

drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  128 Apr 17  2019 Versions

All I'm tryign to do is run the uninstaller.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This hasn't worked for me. I have looked at every single solution, and they haven't worked yet. I looked in my application folder and it's not even there. Do you know what's wrong for Adobe air not going into the application folder

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Air Runtime and supporting apps are not in the Applications folder, they are in the 

/Applications/Utilities folder.

The Air framework is in the /Library/Frameworks folder or you could look in the ~/Library/Frameworks folder ( i.e. your user-specific Libraries folder ).

If they are not there then the air runtime is not installed.

Head on over to this page for more info on installing and then head back here to complete the quarantine removal with the commands from the top of this message thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for us... We use the eBility.com TimeTracker Mac App. Thanx 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jamesey2001. this has worked. Appreciated

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! This has been a lifesaver this afternoon!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That did the trick.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Hi There 

In my case it does not work. 

I did what was recomended but still can not run uninstal adobe air.

Any other ideas what could can I check and what shoudl I do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Air Runtime and supporting apps are not in the Applications folder, they are in the 

/Applications/Utilities folder.

The Air framework is in the /Library/Frameworks folder or you could look in the ~/Library/Frameworks folder ( i.e. your user-specific Libraries folder ).

If they are not there then the air runtime is not installed.

Head on over to this page for more info on installing and then head back here to complete the quarrantine removal with the commands from the top of this message thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,  This worked perfectly for me.  I can't thank you enough.  Being in terminal reminded me of my dual floppy DOS days.  Your generosity of time and knowledge came along at just the right time.  Sbarrow

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamesey2001,

I've just unlocked my adobe air following your instructions (didn't work until I cut and paste them). Thank you very much for posting this solution its offered an straightforward solution to a difficult problem for me.

It was really kind of you to help in this way.

Much appreciated.

Songliner

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bethwilson please accept Jamesey2001 as the correct answer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,james.That was the solution.Thank you very much.What did this operation do?I'm translating from japanese with Google Translate,so I'm sorry it was hard to convey.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Catalina has some strict rules to prevent a user from running malicious applications downloaded from the internet. All such software is given a quarantine attribute ( see here ) which prevents it from running without explicit permission from a user with administrator privileges. The commands you used removed the quarantine attribute from the Air Framework so it can run on your system as a trusted application. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamesey, i did everything you posted and still not worked for me, the first line, second line, my password, the AIR is in the correct location (/Library/frameworks) and does not work, any ideas? have i to install the app again? Help please. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you post a transcript of your terminal session so we can see what happened? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamesey, everything was ok, i just fixed the instalation of the app with the launcher and Voilá! thank you so much for the help, best regards. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Jamesey2001!

I am having this issue and all of your previous replies haven't worked either! It still says I have quarantine items when I did those codes. Adobe AIR.framework is in my Frameworks. Any tips?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you post a transcript of your terminal session so we can see what happened? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamesey2001, thank you so much for your help!  That worked like a charm.  You are amazing!  You should work for Adobe!  Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Finally got it working with your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James,

still not working here, Catalina 10.15.3. I did follow your link for correct installation of Adobe Air on mac. Adobe Air Framework is correctly installed in Libraby/Framework and Adobe air installer and uninstaller are located in Application/Utilities folder.

I did copy paste the first line in the terminal, then the second. I do enter my password. Then I use your third command and it says this :

total 0
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 26 18 avr 2019 Adobe AIR -> Versions/Current/Adobe AIR
com.apple.FinderInfo 32
com.apple.quarantine 58
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 26 18 avr 2019 Resources -> Versions/Current/Resources
com.apple.FinderInfo 32
com.apple.quarantine 58
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 128 18 avr 2019 Versions

The app I wanna use that required Abobe Air is still not running, telling me to update it. Adobe Air updater says I already have last versions, then pop up on screen once again says "Adobe Air. Framework" is damaged...

Any idea what I could have done wrong ? (Non native speaker here, sorry for any mistakes I might have make)

Thanks again for yout time, Cyril

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you post a transcript of your terminal session including all of the commands so we can see what happened? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem here, so here is what I tried: 

first went in /Library/Frameworks/

when typing ls -l@ it was written that Adobe AIR.framework had several files under com.apple.quarantine 

then I ran sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine Adobe\ AIR.framework/ and it make the quarantine flag disappear from it: 

> ls -l@

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  160 18 avr  2019 Adobe AIR.framework

dr-xr-xr-x  6 root  admin  192 18 avr  2012 Cg.framework

drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  160 13 oct 10:44 PluginManager.framework

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   50 13 oct 10:38 iTunesLibrary.framework -> /System/Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework

com.apple.rootless   0

However the message saying "Adobe air is damaged and cannot be open" still persists, and apps using adobe air wont launch saying it needs to be installed.

From there, still in /Library/Framework I went into Adobe AIR.framework and now I get the same list as Cyril88 above: 

> cd Adobe\ AIR.framework/

> pwd 

/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework

> ls -l@

total 0

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   26 18 avr  2019 Adobe AIR -> Versions/Current/Adobe AIR

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

com.apple.quarantine 57

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   26 18 avr  2019 Resources -> Versions/Current/Resources

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

com.apple.quarantine 57

drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  128 18 avr  2019 Versions

Here, it seems impossible to remove the quarantine flag. Maybe it has something to do with all these symlinks, idk... 

What I tried from there: 

sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine *

> sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine Version/

> sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine Version/* 

None of them worked, inside Adobe framework there are still quarantined objects. 

Any idea from there?

Thanks

Translate

Translate