• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner to Adobe Flash CS6

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started learning Adobe Flash CS6. There's tutorial I found which teaches variables. In his example, he uses this setup (which he gave for free download):

flash.png

Bottom textbox has instance name "outputText".

He sets up some actionscript in the "actions" layer:

var thisVariable:int=5;

outputText.text=String(thisVariable);

When I do test, "5" correctly shows as in his tutorial.

flash 2.png

BUT. If I do the same thing in a new ActionScript 3.0 file, I do not get any output in the bottom textbox. The only time I see something is when there are the same characters in the actionscript as in the top textbox.

Example:

bottom textbox has instance name "myText"

flash 3.1.png

Adding number "1" in the top textbox.

flash 3.2.png

Using string instead of int

flash 3.3.png

I am still very new to this. Very confused by this. Here is the original link to the tutorial. Its free on Udemy:

https://www.udemy.com/learn-adobe-flash-from-scratch/learn/lecture/2782054#overview

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

you you need to embed your bottom textfield's font.

ie, there's no problem with your code.  the problem is the only characters displayed in your bottom textfield and those that are embedded (T,h,i,s,v,a,r,i,a,b,l,e,c,o,n,t,a,i,n,s,:).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you you need to embed your bottom textfield's font.

ie, there's no problem with your code.  the problem is the only characters displayed in your bottom textfield and those that are embedded (T,h,i,s,v,a,r,i,a,b,l,e,c,o,n,t,a,i,n,s,:).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try embedding the first time, for both boxes, didn't work. Then after trying again when seeing your answer, it worked. I realised I didn't select any character ranges the first time....

But why not embedding the font causes this? Is it some kind of feature that reminds you to embed your fonts?

And why does only the characters in the top textbox shows up if the fonts are not embedded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

static text characters are automatically embedded.  so text that contains any of the following will appear: T,h,i,s,v,a,r,i,a,b,l,e,c,o,n,t,a,i,n,s,:

(p.s when using the adobe forums, please mark helpful/correct responses, if there are any.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines