Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2023 Open New Window

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking to open muliple windows in Bridge 2023. It used to be under file > new window .

Does anyone know where to find this feature?

Thanks? 

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

You can now create multiple content panels, instead of creating multiple windows in Bridge 2023.

Please refer the following link for the known features/issues - https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/known-issues.html

Thanks,

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

More specifically, you want to choose File > New Content Tab, and if you want to detach that tab and drag it to another location or another display, drag the tab. [UPDATE — August 4, 2023: New Window is back, in a beta version for user testing. For more info, go to: Adobe Bridge Beta is now available (14.0.0.57)]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Hi,

The latest Beta build 14.0.0.57 brings back support for 'Multiple Windows' along with a few new features.
For a complete list of features available in the Beta build, please refer to the community post : 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-beta-is-now-available-14-0-0-57/td-p/13986216

We would love for you to try it out and share feedback.

Regards,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 151 Replies 151
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like there is hope for the future: https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-beta-is-now-available/td-p/13439655

"we are hearing your requests about reintroducing Multiple Bridge windows. This Beta release does not include this requested feature, but the Bridge team is working on it, analyzing the use cases, and constructing an appropriate action plan. Please stay tuned."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Wow, that's some snagging list of issues the beta is addressing; I'm glad I went back to 12. By the time they include multiple instances again it might be robust enough to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please bring back the feature to open multiple windows? This was a big usage element and would work great alongside the new multiple content panel feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

Why can't you just leave Bridge the way it was? There are 1000's of professionals who use it every day. It's so frustrating having to relearn and find workarounds for things like opening and using multiple windows. What possible use does it serve?!

Please just leave all the operational stuff the way it was. Graphics, photography and picture editing is all deadline driven, it's so frustrating when the tools you use every day are all in different places or don't do the same things as they did previously. Why do you feel the need to change basic tools and layout?!

Many thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dead on
I have never seen such a downgrade upgrade in my entire life!

--
Photographer
Patrick Miller
MANOCAMERA
https://patrickmiller.se/
manocamera@gmail.com
Skånegatan 84
116 37 STHLM
tel: +46 735 10 40 30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe ~ 

can you let us know whether you are considering bringing back the “open new window” option or not…..??

After all, we’re paying your salaries each month without fail…  the least you can do is share with us your thoughts behind removing this faction - right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again Adobe drops the ball.  The "New Window" function was an important feature for many Bridge users...but that's Adobe for ya!  They could at least listen to us now and SIMPLY put that feature back into the interface for the next update.  
The "New Content Tab" isn't nearly the same as the "New Window" function.  I find it rather insane that the Adobe "employee" in this thread is attempting to gaslight our concerns.  Eww.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is preposterous and no reason for it, can yoiu please help and re instate being able to have two windows open at the same time? How else are you able to sort photos into folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Chris218117816j4a, I do this all the time, and, and fact, I find it much easier to do this with multiple Tabs than multiple Windows. I'm not saying that multiple windows should not be restored — they should be. But please do not deny yourself an opportunity to try a different approach that I find much easier. 

Here's what I do: in the parent folder of images, create subfolders of the catetories you want to work with. Let's say you have a bunch of pictures of animals; dogs, cats, birds, fish, etc. Now, make a folder for each of them. 

At this point, you'll want to stretch out the Content Panel to be wide, as wide as you can; maybe remove unnecessary columns depending on how many folders you have. If you sort by time of creation, the folders should be on the top of the screen. 

Now, right click on a folder and select the option to "Open in New Content Tab." Do this for all of your folders.

Now, click on an image of (say) cats, and drag it to the name of the Cat's folder, this will shift the view of the folders to the Cats folder, and drop the image in there. Now, click back to the primary folder and continue. If you see a string of cat images, simply shift-click the string and do the same thing. If you see cat, dog, cat, lizard, fish, cat, etc., simply Command/Control click the just the cat images and do the same thing.

The one possible limitation on this is that depending on the amount of ram your computer has, you may get a message that Bridge has run out of room. If that happens, delete one of the tabs, and continue.

For an extended view of what can be done, please check out this thing I wrote some time back.

If you look at the Content Panel, note the hamburger menu on the right-hand side (three horizontal lines). To the left of the Hamburger menu, you'll see a plus (+) (red arrow). If you click on that, you'll get a new Content Panel. If you click on the option in the Hamburger menu for a new Content Panel (green arrow), you'll also get a new Content Panel.

The primary disadvantage of these two options currently is that either will default to a "home" position and are not likely to provide access to the folder you want. Fortunately, for any Content Panel that is active (note the blue square and blue line circling the Panel), if you go to the Recent icon in the icons on top, if you select a folder from there, it will open up in that Content Panel.

gary_sc_0-1676839635171.png

Likewise, if you select a folder from the Folders Panel. In addition, if you take an image or a folder and drag it to the Bridge icon in the Dock, THAT folder will open in the active Content Panel. Hopefully, soon they will provide both "Open" and "Recent" options in the Hamburger menu.

gary_sc_1-1676839635171.png

If you have a folder with other sub-folders, you can always right-click on one of the subfolders, and it can be opened in a new Content Panel

gary_sc_2-1676839635171.png

Once you have two or more Content Panels, you can drag from one to the other by simply mouse-down on an image (or all selected images), then move the mouse up to the title area of the other Content Panel to make it the active Panel and release. IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE before you do anything, then Comand/Control-z and you'll be good.

gary_sc_3-1676839635172.png

Note also that extra Content Panels can be placed and/or moved to any other location in the Bridge window.

gary_sc_4-1676839635172.png

I hope this explains some of the new workflows available to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR... throw away Bridge 2023, go back to Bridge 2022, and press Command+N. Lots has. been said about the disregard for thousands of professionals and their workflow.

Might someone have an idea why this perfectly excellent wheel was in need of reinvention?

Should Adobe really want to fix something, how about sarting with making Downloader compatible with the newest cards (CFExp-B). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for Mac users the speed and convenience of switching windows within Bridge with a simple command+~ is gone, too. Adobe really screwed up with Bridge 13. I reverted to 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easy answer: Dump the new version of BR from your machine. Reinstall BR 2022. From there use key command CMD+SHIFT+N

All Adobe "Correct answers" are politely ignorant, made by people who either don't understand the question being asked or are deliberately misleading. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact they got rid of this feature is just plain DUMB, this is a program mostly used by professionals and not being able to oepn separate windows to sort thousands of photos is CRAZY! Get with it Adobe and please fix this MASSIVE bug/oversight. Why delete something that works really well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if I didn't have to constantly check back in to see if this is resolved, and of course it isn't. Your customer service is poor. These programs are supposed to be tools that aid in our work, not drag us down digging for any solutions while trying to meet these deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there might be a solution on the horizon given the backlash in terms of the reduced functionality regarding this feature, to be fair though, I've been getting on just fine with the previous version in the time being, is there any big jump between the two versions I might have missed in terms of new functionality? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are a Windows user, there might not be a big difference. If you are a Mac user, Bridge 2023 is finally Apple Silicon native, which matters to those who want to maximize the performance of their Apple Silicon Macs by lowering dependence on the Rosetta translation environment for Intel-based apps.

If you mostly use the Adobe video apps, the way Bridge 2023 window management works is now much more consistent with those, in terms of how it docks panels and uses keyboard shortcuts. But if you mostly use Adobe graphics apps (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Bridge 2022 window management might be preferred because the old design was more consistent with those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of that is relevant. It can be more consistent with moving image apps AND allow multiple windows. For the Mac it's a given that Adobe keeps up with new hardware developments. As far as I'm concerned it can also allow multiple tabs. More flexibility is preferable to limitting useful functions. Listening to experienced users is something they need to work more on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. We all agree that those aren’t mutually exclusive, and nothing in my reply disagrees with getting multiple windows back. I was simply replying to their question of “what else changed.”

There is a some confusion and imprecise terminology being thrown around in this thread. To be clear, multiple floating content views in Bridge 2023 are possible by undocking multiple Content tabs as floating panels, so that you can see content from multiple sources as shown below. The real problem, what we specifically lost, is having more than one instance of any panel (for example, seeing a separate Folders, Metadata, and Preview panel tied to each Content panel) so that we can work with content in parallel. The picture below shows my perspective on what was lost, it might not account for every problem though.

Bridge-2023-multiple-Content-panels.jpg

One of the problems this causes is shown on the right: A panel might display information for a Content panel that is not the one in the single application window, which can be confusing. In the example shown, the source shown in the Folders panel is not for the Content tab next to it, but for a separate, floating Content panel some distance away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is that it ain't there. Adobe threw out one of the useful functions of Bridge. Go figure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY!! Found in New Conten Tab. Thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New version of Bridge 15.2 but ro resolution.

Why cant you reinstall "Open New window" you should be couster friendly and adjust to costumer needs.

But you ar are not. Contrary you destroy workflow and makes us keep to wersions open och bridge. I dont get it.

Its surreal...why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For God sake, Adobe, we need no excuse from you, we need no convincment from you how cool is your new feature. Bring back simple yet very effective "new window option".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating that I've been having to work in the older version of bridge because of this issue, and an old version of illustrator because of fonts. JEESH. I am crashing all day long and I've had it! come on adobe, seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, putting the word "Content" in EVERY TAB is taking up so much space and forcing tabs into the overflow panel. This seems like a waste and is another notch on the "impacts productivity" list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be uninstalling this new mess and installing the older version.

Hey Adobe,

If it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines