• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Send Photo to PS from Camera Raw

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For about a month now I have been unable to send a photo to PS from Camera Raw with the "Open" button. Until recently, when I clicked Open, CR would close, PS would open, but no photo would appear. Presently, when I click Open, CR closes but PS does not open. I have uninstalled Bridge, reinstalled, restarted, updated, ad nauseum. This was a big part of my workflow and this situation is VERY frustrating. Can someone please help? Adobe, are you there? 

Edited to add: Windows 10

TOPICS
Bug , Camera RAW , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the answer in this Related conversation-

"Go to Edit > Camera Raw Preferences and try unchecking "Use Graphics Processor" restart PS"

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/i-cannot-open-a-jpeg-in-camera-raw/td...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, saw that, tried it, but there was no option to uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" - just an option to turn it off. Didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody know how I can get the attention of Adobe engineers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sarapia777 The engineers are well aware of the issue. There will be an update with a fix. The unknown is when. There are (unfortunately) many bugs to fix, and the product managers all have a complicated formula to figure out which one(s) get fixed first. This is based on the order of criticalness. For example, things that crash have higher priority than a feature request. In addition, a single bug that may take 100 hours of engineering time for a non-critical issue may be bumped for half a dozen bugs that take the same amount of time. Lastly, Adobe is very good at not letting any information out of their offices so no one but Adobe knows which bugs have higher priority and when those will be fixed.

With that said, I freely admit that this is an annoying bug that's affecting just about everyone. Fortunately, there are some workarounds:

1) Since we know that double-clicking in Bridge is not likely to open the file(s) up in PS, instead, right-click on them and select Edit in PS. 

2) Drag the selected file(s) from the Content tab in Bridge to the PS icon in the Dock or Start menu. 

Both of those approaches seem to work for most people; please let us know if either of these works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, at least I'm not alone. That helps. 

When I click on the file I do not get "edit with," I get "open with," and my option is Photoshop 2022. When I choose that, the RAW file opens in Camera Raw. 

When I drag and drop a Raw file into PS, CR opens and it ends up there.

I don't have an option to drag and drop into PS in the Start menu. I can either click on the image, or click on the start menu, but both do not appear at the same time.

Jpgs open fine in PS so I have to bring all my images into CR, then save as Jpgs, then open those from PS. 

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I keep thinking there's a setting that is incorrect.

Than you for your encouraging words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry @sarapia777, I assumed you'd be following me, and that's the wrong thing to do.

Currently, when you open a raw file, it will open in ACR. So far so good. The catch is, after making edits in ACR, what happens next. Currently, most of the time, when you click on "Open," nothing happens. If you apply either of the two "tricks" above, when you select the Open option, it will open in PS.

A raw file cannot open directly into PS because PS does not understand the raw format. It would be just as challenging to open (say) an Excel document in PS. So, the file HAS to go through ACR first regardless. (Also, if you open a JPG file in ACR, if you double-click that JPG, it will open in ACR because only ACR knows how to work with the ACR enhancements.

Meanwhile, please check that either of the tricks I mentioned before works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I told you what happens when I click on an image in ACR. I do not get an "open with" message, only "edit with (PS 2022)". When I select that, the image opens in ACR. Maybe it's my ineptitude but I am unable to drag and drop a file into PS in the Start menu. I can drag a Jpg directly into PS, but when I drag a Raw file, it opens in ACR. But I think I'm repeating myself.

So previously, when all was working correctly and I could click "Open" from ACR, what kind of file went to PS? 

What's the difference between opening a Jpg and editing and sending a file directly from ACR? Why can PS open that (well, when it could) file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this paragraph again:

A raw file cannot open directly into PS because PS does not understand the raw format. It would be just as challenging to open (say) an Excel document in PS. So, the file HAS to go through ACR first regardless. (Also, if you open a JPG file in ACR, if you double-click that JPG, it will open in ACR because only ACR knows how to work with the ACR enhancements.

Or simply: you cannot open a raw file directly into PS. Period. You have to open it in ACR to make it into a format that can be understood by PS. Once you've done that, you can open it in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I understand that PS does not open Raw files. But see my question above, please. When I send a photo to PS from ACR with the "open" button, what kind of a file does it turn into in order to be opened in PS? 

In other words, does it matter, quality-wise, that I am 1. Saving files as Jpg in ACR; 2. Then opening them in PS to edit? 

Also, you say you can open Raw files from ACR via "edit with" - why is that, and why do I only have the option to "open with Photoshop 2022" (which I am currently not running?), and "drag and drop" from Bridge sends the file to ACR and I'm back in the same conundrum. Genuinely curious.

If it's fine to simplysave a folder of Jpgs, then open in PS for editing, I will continue to do so, though it is not my first choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop understand "pixels." When ACR sends an image to PS, it's being sent as pixels. If you were to save a JPG out of ACR you doing two levels of potential damage to the pixels. First is JPG Degradation. This comes from the fact that a JPG is a lossy format. That is, it looses (throws out) what it considers unnecessary pixels that are part of an image. For many situations, what it tosses out is not critical, especially if the image is a standard photograph. But if you have a dark object against a flat image (think of a telegraph pole against the sky or text on a white page) and it has been aggressively JPGed, look at that image and see the damage that has been done.

2022-12-12_13-00-46.png

Another level of damage is loss of data. A raw file from the camera can be anywhere from 12-14 bits for each channel. A jpg can only be 8 bits. An 8-bit image has 256 colors or shades (of red, blue, green or gray). A full color image is also called a 24 bit image because it's 8 bits from each channel of Red, Green, and Blue. It can have up to 16,777,216 colors. That sounds like a lot, but a 48-bit image (16-bits from each channel) has up to 281.474.976.710.656 shades and colors. That means when you convert a raw image into a jpg, you're tossing out almost 281.5 trillion bits of data from that image.

While you are not likely to see this on the average monitor (as they are very forgiving), you are very likely to see this in a print. This will show up as banding (also called posterization) in an image that is trying to work with too little data. (You often see this on TV screens in dark scenes.) In the screenshot below, I forced posterization in the sky to show you what I was referring to. You can see there are no smooth gradations across the sky, and it's reverted to a collection of blotches of single colors or shades.

2022-12-12_13-16-27.png

So, the answer is to go from camera (as a raw image), to ACR to PS and work away. Also, for best image quality, Set the preferences in ACR to save the image in 16 bit. You can always change that to 8 bit when you're done in PS, especially when you save the image to JPG (where it's automatically at 8 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but right now I CAN'T go from ACR to PS. The only way I can open an image in PS is if I first save it as a Jpg. How are people going from ACR to PS without the "open" button? Yes, you said go to "edit with" but that doesn't work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let me put the information together for you. 

From my first message:

1) Since we know that double-clicking in Bridge is not likely to open the file(s) up in PS, instead, right-click on them and select Edit in PS. 

2) Drag the selected file(s) from the Content tab in Bridge to the PS icon in the Dock or Start menu. 

Now, from my 2nd message:

Currently, when you open a raw file, it will open in ACR. So far so good. The catch is, after making edits in ACR, what happens next? Currently, most of the time, when you click on "Open," nothing happens. If you apply either of the two "tricks" above, when you select the Open option, it will open in PS.

Have you tried this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're reading my replies. Yes, I have tried "edit with" but I don't have that option. I only have "open with photoshop 2022" and when I click that, it sends the image directly to ACR. There is also an "open" option, but that choice also sends the image to ACR. The other choice is to "open in ACR" 

Those tricks do not work for me.

As for dragging and dropping, as I mentioned, I am unable to both select the start menu and the image simultaneously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time:

Right click on raw file, select "Open in PS"

This will open in ACR

Make your adjustments in ACR

Now click on Open. It should open in PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, miraculously, it now works, even though I have been doing the exact things you have told me to with no results, it is now working normally, the way I always remember. I have no idea why. 

We'll just call it a Christmas Miracle. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may find that if you do not directly tell the file that it wants to go to PS (by your direction), you may click on the Open button, and nothing will happen.

When you told the raw image that you wanted this to end up in PS, it did. The bug is that this is not always figured out by the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I know is I've been editing in ACR and sending to PS for more adjustments by clicking the Open button for years and suddenly it stopped opening my files. I tried every which way but loose to get it to work, to no avail. Suddenly, just like that, it's working normally. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after a good night's sleep, with a fresh start on everything, I now understand the nuance that I missed.

If I take an image straight from Bridge into ACR via "open in ACR" the image will not open via the "Open" button.

But if I take an image from Bridge via "Open with Photoshop 2022 (default)," it sends the image to ACR, but now it will open via "Open" button because I have alerted PS. And that's the bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bingo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines