• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Contributor ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I overheard an Adobe rep state that there wasnt much care or concern within Adobe

> for the people not happy with the new direction they plan to take creatives, stating

> "They will assimilate"

Yes, that attitude would be "You will be forced to comply because we think you have no choice in the end".

Very customer friendly. I can't wait to see what else they have planned for the future that we will "have no choice but to go along" with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone at Adobe is excited to see the cc work because it will accelerate the stock. In January they invoked an Employee equity program.

Copied from Yahoo

Change in Directors or Principal Officers, Financial Statements and Exhibits

Item 5.02 Departure of Directors or Certain Officers; Election of Directors;

Appointment of Certain Officers; Compensatory Arrangements of Certain Officers.

(e) 2013 Performance Share Program On January 24, 2013, the Executive Compensation Committee (the "Committee") of the Board of Directors (the "Board") of Adobe Systems Incorporated ("Adobe" or the "Company") approved the 2013 Performance Share Program, including the Award Calculation Methodology (the "Program"), under the terms of the Company's 2003 Equity Incentive Plan. The Committee established the Program to help focus key employees on building stockholder value, provide significant award potential for achieving outstanding Company performance, and enhance the ability of the Company to attract and retain highly talented and competent individuals. Members of the Company's executive management team and other key members of senior management were selected by the Committee to participate in the Program for fiscal year 2013. The Committee granted awards for the executive officers under the Program on January 24, 2013 in the form of a target award and a maximum award of performance shares approved pursuant to the terms of the Company's 2003 Equity Incentive Plan. Under our Performance Share Program for fiscal year 2013, shares are earned based on the achievement of an objective total stockholder return ("TSR") measure over a three-year performance period. All performance share awards will vest upon the Committee's certification of results, which will be three years following the date of grant. Accordingly, the performance shares will both align our executives' interests with those of our stockholders over the long term, while also providing key retention incentives, as the shares will only be awarded if an executive continues to provide service to Adobe (or an affiliate) three years following the date of grant. The participants can earn between 0% and 200% (the payout cap under the Program) of the target amount of Performance Share awards, and the amount of Performance Shares actually awarded is based on a cumulative three-year TSR measure, which would compare the TSR of Adobe's common stock against the TSR of the companies included in the NASDAQ 100 Index as of December 1, 2012 during the course of the three-year period. The number of Performance Shares awarded will increase or decrease 2.5% for every percentile that Adobe's TSR percentile rank is above or below, respectively, the NASDAQ 100 companies' 50th percentile, and no shares will be awarded if the Company's performance ranks below the 25th percentile for the three-year performance period. Additionally, regardless of Adobe's relative position with respect to the NASDAQ 100 companies, the award will be capped at 100% of target in the case of Adobe having a negative absolute TSR over the measurement period. Performance shares will be earned (if at all) upon certification by the Committee of actual performance achievement following the Company's 2015 fiscal year-end, subject to specified change of control exceptions. In addition, as a condition to earning any part of the maximum award, a participant must be employed by the Company through the certification date. The target awards and maximum awards for the performance shares granted to the Company's principal executive officer, principal financial officer and other named executive officers* on January 24, 2013 are as set forth below. The target awards for Messrs. Lynch and Thompson reflect their respective promotions from Senior Vice President to Executive Vice President, effective as of January 24, 2013.

Target  Maximum Officer                         Title                        Award   Award Shantanu Narayen  President and Chief Executive Officer         157,500    315,000 Mark Garrett      Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer                                        35,000     70,000 Kevin Lynch       Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer                                        55,000    110,000 Matthew Thompson  Executive Vice President, Worldwide Field Operations                                     55,000    110,000 David Wadhwani    Senior Vice President and General Manager, Digital Media                                  47,500     95,000  

* For purposes of this filing, the term "named executive officer" refers to executive officers for whom disclosure was required in our most recent filing with the Securities Exchange Commission under the Securities Act of 1933 or the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 that required disclosure pursuant to Item 402(c) of Regulation S-K.

A participant may receive less than his or her target award, and in no event may actual shares earned exceed the maximum award. Any amounts paid under the Program are subject to recoupment from participants in accordance with any clawback policy that the Company is required to adopt pursuant to applicable laws.
The description of the Program contained herein is a summary of the material terms of the Program, does not purport to be complete and is qualified in its entirety by reference to the Program used in connection with the 2003 Equity Incentive Plan, which is incorporated herein by reference as Exhibit 10.1. Copies of the 2013 Performance Share Program and the form of Award Grant Notice and Performance Share Award Agreement for use in connection with grants under this Program are attached hereto as Exhibits 10.2 and 10.3, respectively, and are incorporated herein by reference.
2013 Executive Annual Incentive Plan
On January 24, 2013, the Committee approved the terms of the 2013 Executive Annual Incentive Plan (the "Incentive Plan"), adopted pursuant to the Company's 2011 Executive Cash Performance Bonus Plan, which applies to certain executive officers of the Company. The 2011 Executive Cash Performance Bonus Plan is incorporated herein by reference as Exhibit 10.4. The Incentive Plan is designed to drive revenue growth, encourage accountability, drive execution of long-term strategy and annual operating plan objectives, and recognize and reward the Company's executives upon the achievement of certain objectives.
Executive officers of the Company specifically designated by the Company who are employed by the Company during the Company's 2013 fiscal year and are Senior Vice President level or above are eligible to participate in the Incentive Plan. Pursuant to the Incentive Plan, each participant is eligible to receive an incentive bonus calculated as a percentage of the executive's earned base salary.
The Incentive Plan requires that the Company achieve at least 85% of the GAAP revenue target set forth in the annual operating plan for fiscal year 2013 approved by the Board at the beginning of the fiscal year (the "Board Operating Plan") as a minimum performance threshold before participants may earn any incentive bonus under the Incentive Plan. If the initial threshold is not achieved, no payments are made under the Incentive Plan. If this initial threshold is achieved, each participant is eligible to earn a maximum bonus equal to 200% of such participant's annual bonus target, up to a maximum of $5 million, subject to reduction as described below. The target bonus is calculated by multiplying a participant's base salary earned during the fiscal year by a Committee-approved target bonus percentage.
For fiscal year 2013, the target bonus and maximum bonus, expressed as a percentage of annual base salary earned for the Company's principal executive officer, principal financial officer and other named executive officers, are as follows:

Target    Maximum Officer                         Title                      Bonus     Bonus Shantanu Narayen  President and Chief Executive Officer            150%      300% Mark Garrett      Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer                                100%      200% Kevin Lynch       Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer                                           85%      170% Matthew Thompson  Executive Vice President, Worldwide Field Operations                                       100%      200% David Wadhwani    Senior Vice President and General Manager, Digital Media                                     85%      170%  

The maximum bonus for each participant is subject to reduction based on the Company's or the executive's achievement of various pre-established goals. Seventy-five percent of an executive's target award opportunity is tied to the Corporate Result, which is based on the following performance metrics (with corresponding weights):

Percentage of Company Performance Metric             Corporate Result Digital Media annualized recurring revenue ("ARR")       40% Digital Marketing new business bookings                  40% Customer Advocacy                                        20%  

The Digital Media ARR goal and the Digital Marketing new business bookings goal collectively constitute the "Business Units Achievement" under the Incentive Plan.
As described in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended November 30, 2012, we define ARR in our Digital Media business as the sum of (1) the number of paid, active subscribers, multiplied by the average subscription price paid per user per month, multiplied by twelve months; plus (2) twelve months of contract value of Enterprise Term License Agreements where the revenue is ratably recognized over the life of the contract. The ARR target under our Incentive Plan is based on the ARR target set forth in the Board Operating Plan, and the actual percentage achievement of the ARR component moves up or down (with a maximum achievement of 200%) based on the Company's Digital Media ARR achievement, as shown on Exhibit A of the Incentive Plan.
The new business bookings target for our Digital Marketing business is also based on the target set forth in the Board Operating Plan. Our new business bookings measure is a proprietary formula that we use to monitor the value of our new business in Digital Marketing. As with the ARR component under our Incentive Plan, the actual percentage achievement of the new business bookings component moves up or down (with a maximum achievement of 200%) based on the Company's Digital Marketing new business bookings achievement, as shown on Exhibit B of the Incentive Plan.
The Preliminary Business Units Achievement is calculated using the weighted average of the ARR and new business bookings payout percentages as follows:

Preliminary BU         =           (ARR Payout           +          (New Business Achievement                       Percentage *                    Bookings Payout 50%)                          Percentage * 50%)  

Once the Preliminary Business Units Achievement is determined using the above formula, the Committee has the discretion to adjust the Preliminary Business Units Achievement percentage up or down 20% based on the Committee's assessment of the Company's qualitative performance for the performance period. The final (adjusted) percentage (the "Final Business Units Achievement") is combined with the Customer Advocacy Achievement percentage to calculate the Corporate Result according to the formula described below:

Corporate Result        =            (Final BU            +            (Customer Achievement *                        Advocacy 80%)                         Achievement * 20%)  

The Customer Advocacy Achievement is determined by the Committee, in its sole discretion, based on the improvement of the end-to-end customer experience by achievement of certain customer advocacy objectives set forth by the Committee. Upon the Committee's review of the Customer Advocacy objectives, the Committee shall determine the percentage achievement, within the limitations described below.
The remaining 25% of each executive's bonus opportunity under the Incentive Plan is based on the achievement of individual performance goals selected by the Committee at the outset of the performance period, which goals are specifically tailored to each executive and aligned with the achievement of strategic objectives contained in the Board Operating Plan (the "Individual Objectives").

The Customer Advocacy and Individual Objectives components are capped at 100% achievement unless the Final Business Units Achievement exceeds 100%, in which case the Customer Advocacy and Individual Objectives components are capped at the Final Business Units Achievement percentage.
Once each component is certified by the Committee as described above, the actual bonus awards earned by each participant under the Incentive Plan are determined using the following formula:

Actual Cash Award      =      [(Corporate      +      (Individual X           Target Award Result *               Goals . . . 

Item 9.01 Financial Statements and Exhibits.

(d) Exhibits

Exhibit                                         Incorporated by Reference       Filed Number          Exhibit Description           Form        Date      Number    Herewith 10.1     2003 Equity Incentive Plan, as       8-K       4/13/12      10.1 amended and restated 10.2     2013 Performance Share Program                                          X pursuant to the 2003 Equity Incentive Plan 10.3     Form of Performance Share Award                                         X Grant Notice and Performance Share Award Agreement pursuant to the 2003 Equity Incentive Plan 10.4     2011 Executive Cash Performance      8-K       1/28/11      10.4 Bonus Plan 10.5     2013 Executive Annual Incentive Plan                                                                    X 10.6     Form of RSU Grant Notice and Award Agreement pursuant to the 2003 Equity Incentive Plan                                              X 10.7     Form of RSU Grant Notice and Award Agreement pursuant to the 2005 Equity Incentive Assumption Plan                                                                    X  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eligibility. Under the 2003 Plan, we may grant awards to employees (including executive officers) and

consultants of Adobe, our subsidiary corporations or other affiliated entities of Adobe, and members of our Board.

Pursuant to applicable tax law, we may grant incentive stock options only to employees; however, we may grant

nonstatutory stock options, stock appreciation rights, stock bonuses, stock purchase rights, RSUs, performance shares

and performance units to any eligible participant. As of February 2, 2012, we had a total of 9,776 employees and

consultants and eight non-employee directors who would be eligible to be granted awards from the 2003 Plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, they don't care. That's why people have to not only say NO now, they have to continue to say NO for years to come. If they can do that for the next 3 or 4 years, Adobe might learn a lesson. It will take a great deal of fortitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, I'm too old and not financially viable to matter to Adobe.

Telling a company which went from selling fonts to dominating multiple industries . . . based upon offering users easy and natural upgrades to their software . . . which most of us bit and enjoyed . . . now see Adobe's legacy implemented by their current CEO and CFO.  Brave, brazen, move.  Adobe says, customers are flocking to the cloud.  Maybe so, or not, but what about next year when they tire of paying rent?

There is a backlash.  Hatteras Photo just published a link to a beautiful and telling video.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently . . .

Maybe if the Justice Department . . . joined by the European Union . . . might take a look at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we can upgrade  to the already outdated version CS6 that Adobe will keep on selling (instead of a up to date CS7) if we don't want the CC.

Are you Adobe people not feeling any shame!?

I'm sticking with CS5.5 Master Edition and looking for a other alternative!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Given as it is the last version of the creative tools that we provide a perpetual license for, we have no plans to stop selling it (we actually have specific plans to keep selling it).

Lets look at this realistically:

in·def·i·nite·ly 

1.) For an unlimited or unspecified period of time.

Adobe wishes to focus on the mythical unlimited aspect, but the truth is "indefinitely" is being used to gloss over the actual "unspecified" factor, that Adobe has now adopted as their deceiving business model. One only has to look at recent promises like "Cloud features will be given to non-cloud customers with the next Full release" (Remember those "specific plans" Mike?) that have now ALL been abolished for "Cloud Only". So know and understand the lack of trust of Adobe's ways and misguided consideration towards its customers, there is no reason for any intelligent person to be remotely deceived at this point by Adobe's promises and actions, they have shown their nature and intentions for all to witness.

Should customers in any way view this "keep selling" ideal as an admirable alternative to perpetual licensees? An "Abandonware" version of CS6 which will not be updated and will soon be obsolete and incompatible? Hardware and OS sellers are not going to show pity on Adobe customers based on Adobe's arrogant and greedy decision to do away with previous viable "Choices" for customers and it's decision to replace those "choices" with forced alternatives for customers going forward. So as Adobe's personnel boldly tout this "keep selling" as an alternative and admirable decision for the customer, all Adobe is really doing is providing "Abandonware" knowing hardware and OS will soon make it obsolete anyway along with file compatibilities moving forward.

CS6, in no way remains a viable benefit to the customer, no matter how many times and in whatever manner Adobe wishes to express otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to those who responded to my question about CS6 availability.

I didn't see this mentioned in the FAQ. Before all this kicked off,  I was planning to upgrade in the summer, so I'll stick with that.

I hope that if/when Adobe decide to stop sellling it, you'll give us plenty of warning beforehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a scam pure and simple.

I have been an Adobe user for going on two decades and Adobe always allowed people to upgrade for several versions back.

Changing it to only one version back was outrageous and was going to price millions of casual users out.

That right there was effectively a price jump of over l00 hundred percent.  I couldn't believe they were doing it, and it was a sign of something rotting in the company.

Now we can never upgrade, so we are forced because of legacy projects and industry inertia to subscribe to this extortion model of permanent rental payments.

This is another huge price jump, this time of several hundred percent.  Any Cloud user who can't see this must have failed basic math.

Adobe, you are going to get a class-action lawsuit over this.

Your marketing over the last two years was a complete lie.

Tricking people to buy into CS6 is going to cost you a lot of money, either from a settlement agreement or from the permanent loss of long-time customers.

Did anyone notice how Adobe manipulated the transition by not telling people first what the real purpose of the Cloud was?

If they had announced the real changes coming when the cloud was starting then there would have been a huge backlash and there wouldn't have been so many people trying it.

People, it is time to wake up.  Everyone needs to get involved to kill this cloud before it goes any further.

Everyone involved with Adobe needs to convince people to quit their subscriptions, and to educate them as to what is really going on.

Entertainment companies need to boycott this now.

If we can get Wall Street worried about this and start crashing their stock, Adobe will back off and stop.

It is all about money, not about the users, so money is all Adobe will pay attention to.

Lawsuits and Stock valuation will do it.

Band together people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This argument doesn't hold water for me.

Terrachild wrote:

This is a scam pure and simple.

I have been an Adobe user for going on two decades and Adobe always allowed people to upgrade for several versions back.

Changing it to only one version back was outrageous and was going to price millions of casual users out.

------

Adobe, you are going to get a class-action lawsuit over this.

Your marketing over the last two years was a complete lie.

Tricking people to buy into CS6 is going to cost you a lot of money, either from a settlement agreement or from the permanent loss of long-time customers.

The scam is the fact that they are trying to force everyone to an expiring software model; not that they switched to a "one version back upgrade policy" and then later canceled the suite altogether.

Adobe didn't "trick" anyone into upgrading by implementing a one version back upgrade policy. People who upgraded to CS6 because of this got the latest and greatest for the upgrade price. I don't see how Adobe discontinuing the Creative Suite makes you unhappy to have the latest and greatest.

Are you saying that if they were to continue updating Creative Suite, you would upgrade every version just to keep your upgrade pricing? That's not much different than being a CC subscriber, except that you can stop upgrading (subscribing) and the software wouldn't expire. If you had not upgraded to CS5, you would have been required to pay the full price for CS6.

It is still bad (evil?) that Adobe is getting rid of the perpetual license, but the "one version back upgrade" policy doesn't really have anything to do with that fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe tricked everyone into upgrading to CS6.  They eliminated the three versions back and reduced it to one version back (CS5 or 5.5) that had to be upgraded to CS6 for upgrades to the next version.  I wouldn't have upgraded to CS6 for several applications if I had known they were switching over to the Cloud and doing away with perpetual licenses altogether.

Skipping versions is the norm for most people because Adobe doesn't make substantial changes from version to version and the .5 upgrades are mostly updates and bug fixes.  Adobe forced us into being in the current version to upgrade to the next.  While in 2012 Adobe did allow some people to catch up by letting CS3 thru 4 to upgrade to C6, everyone had to be on the current version to upgrade.  Now upgrading has been taken away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

Adobe didn't "trick" anyone into upgrading by implementing a one version back upgrade policy. People who upgraded to CS6 because of this got the latest and greatest for the upgrade price. I don't see how Adobe discontinuing the Creative Suite makes you unhappy to have the latest and greatest.

Are you saying that if they were to continue updating Creative Suite, you would upgrade every version just to keep your upgrade pricing? That's not much different than being a CC subscriber, except that you can stop upgrading (subscribing) and the software wouldn't expire. If you had not upgraded to CS5, you would have been required to pay the full price for CS6.

The one-version-back upgrade policy was clearly a move to force customers to a more rapid upgrade cycle, as its development focus went from improvement to bloatware and we all didn't immediately jump on the upgrade bandwagon. Adobe continued to market and sell CS6 right up until the announcement that it would be the end of the line: with no updates, second-class status vs. CC versions, and all. What is the advantage of having the "latest and greatest" of the soon-to-be-obsolete?

Now that that upgrade policy is in effect, yes, I would have had to upgrade every version in order to maintain the lower price. But it seems apparent that Adobe was not content with forcing more frequent updates on its long-time customers; no, it now has to force us all to pay a perpetual fee in order to use the software to work with our files. These two moves might not have been orchestrated together: but the end result is that Adobe feels free to hold us hostage to its ever-increasing greed for profits above all.

The rapid upgrade policy would have made CC more attractive, cost-wise, which is why I was strongly considering switching to CC up until a week ago. But now that this extortionate (let's call it what it is) policy is in force, I won't play the game any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are obviously some people here who are trying to defend the indefensible.

They are either:

1) Adobe employees trying to BS us or;

2) Fanboys who haven't thought this through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets face it, trying to persuade an employee why the cloud is eternal rental or whatever is a big waste of time. They are paid by Adobe and will be fired if they say anything other than the corporate line. Save your breath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild wrote:

There are obviously some people here who are trying to defend the indefensible.

There are also some here who are trying to flog a dead horse.

Complaining vociferously about Adobe and their policies in these user-to-user forums may make you feel better and justified in your point of view but this is the wrong place to try and change Adobe's mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to see the almost unanimous backlash against Adobe's new extortion model on blogs and forums throughout the internet.  Hopefully they will have the sense to rethink their policy. As an owner of CS5.5 and a fairly regular upgrader I will not go any further with Adobe unless they allow me to purchase upgrades when I decide to purchase them.  I will not be joining the cloud.  The only possible exception would be if they made the cloud model like other software companies that allow you to continue using the version up until the point you stopped subscribing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quark has now taken the first step.....

Dear Customer,

I’m personally writing to you in order to inform you about an important policy change and how this will impact you.

From July 1, 2013, Quark Software will only support upgrading from one previous version of QuarkXPress to the current version.

Blah.... Blahhhh.....  Etc.......

Yours sincerely,

Gavin Drake
Vice President of Marketing
Quark Software Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just gets more and more fun!  Adobe cannot be bothered with maintaining CS and CC versions at the same time.  Too much bother, or too much expense, or whatever.  I just fired up InDesign CS6.  What do I see on the splash screen that lists recent files?  A pitch for CC!  They have time to push ads to my CS6 software, but they can't maintain it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As a result of feedback…"

Microsoft have done a complete about-face and backed down after their customers voiced their opposition…

Xbox One will not require regular online check-ins or place restrictions on game-lending “as a result of feedback from the Xbox community,” Microsoft announced today. The announcement is a complete reversal of the company's previously announced DRM policy for games on the Xbox One."

…so if someone as big as Microsoft can change their ways based on customer feedback, why can't Adobe?

I guess it is because Microsoft have a competititor lined up to take their unhappy customers (PS4) and Adobe have no competition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't blame Quark for this... A lot of people work with versions from the 'stone age'...

I work a lot with version Q9.5 and can't wait for version 10...

BTW if you buy v9 you'll get v10 for free... I don't see Adobe giving presents...

Op 21 jun 2013, om 02:05 heeft SoilentGreen het volgende geschreven:

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

created by SoilentGreen in Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

Quark has now taken the first step.....

Dear Customer,

I’m personally writing to you in order to inform you about an important policy change and how this will impact you.

From July 1, 2013, Quark Software will only support upgrading from one previous version of QuarkXPress to the current version.

Blah.... Blahhhh..... Etc.......

Yours sincerely,

Gavin Drake

Vice President of Marketing

Quark Software Inc.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5433321#5433321

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Creative Cloud by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ValentinOcheda wrote:

I don't blame Quark for this... A lot of people work with versions from the 'stone age'...

So what? Let them work with software from the Stone Age, if it works it works. But if a user decides to upgrade to the latest version they should have that choice. Users should want to upgrade because a new version has value to them, not be forced to upgrade or lose the ability to do so in the future. Quark had a chance to win back customers and then they announce this strategy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right Jeff...

I'm a very happy Quark user and CS6... but no CC for me...

Op 21 jun 2013, om 11:30 heeft Jeff_Know1 het volgende geschreven:

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

created by Jeff_Know1 in Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have decided not to go to CC.  So you are happy with Quark?  I have been looking for an alternative to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines