• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard wrote:

Now, all of that said, let's say in the future Adobe does substantively raise the costs of their service, performance degrades, or any other number of things happen that alter my present opinion: I'd simply go with the myriad of alternatives that exist.  As such, Adobe hasn't actually locked me into anything.  There are always alternatives.

Actually Adobe has locked you into paying for the ability to edit past files.

For example I have hundreds of past project files in Adobe's various file formats. I also have CS6. If Adobe released CS7 and it cost to much, or had peformance problems, or any other number of things, I can move to an alternative while still being able to use CS6 to open or edit past projects. that should work as long as the OS will run it, or even in 10 years from now on a virtual machine running Windows 7.

Sometimes customers come back a year later and say: "Remember this video? Can you redo that same clip with these new dates on it?"  Or a poster, flyer, or whatever.

So with the cloud subscription you'll have to reinitiate at least a month every time that happens, forever. Even if you are using an alternative for your current projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except none of my files are in Adobe file formats, so I suppose I don't have these things to be worried about.  Is there a way to unsubscribe from this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard wrote:

Except none of my files are in Adobe file formats, so I suppose I don't have these things to be worried about.  Is there a way to unsubscribe from this thread?

This means you don't work with any video files (PPro, Encore, AE). You also don't have any PDF, PS, and IL files, probably just TIFF, GIF, JPEG and Web files, like html.  I'm so much more suprised that you said you don't understand why people make such a deal out of it. I don't know what you use CC for, but it seems that you don't use it the way that most customers use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just stay subscribed and learn something. And that isn't said in a mean way.

Anyway, yeah, I don't understand either why or how you can use Adobe without needing to access your files through the Adobe apps. Really, I'm concerned that you are either not forward thinking enough about your work and how to save it for optimum future use, or that you are spending money on apps you might not really need.

No one is criticising you for using Adobe and being happy with the software; we all love it. But I cannot even use Photoshop without concern over future proprietary access to the files I create in it, and Photoshop is probably the least affected piece of software concerning future file manipulating ability (saving a high res. TIFF, possibly multiple versions that can be blended in other software, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard,

You should find information on how to turn of notifications here:  http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-email-notifications-forums.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> .  Is there a way to unsubscribe from this thread?

Every notification I've received has a link at the bottom claiming to be for unsubscribing from the matching thread.

> I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people.

>The reason for this second post is to simply state that I'm not actually reading any replies you've made to me.

O.k., then that would probably make your first statement more like something along the lines of:

"I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people, because I think it's great and I don't really care why anyone else is unhappy..."

Many would misinterpret your actual initial statement as a desire to understand why many people are unhappy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg Bohn wrote:

Yes!  Take a look at the top right of this web page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan Craven wrote:

Greg Bohn wrote:

Yes!  Take a look at the top right of this web page.

Just in case there's any confusion, "eNetwizard" was the one who was asking that question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

So with the cloud subscription you'll have to reinitiate at least a month every time that happens, forever. Even if you are using an alternative for your current projects.

Don't forget if you reinitiate you most likely need to download the newest version first and then install it, which takes quite some time. Adobe also stated in thier cloud myth video that they will only make one version back available.

By the way, Adobe's cloud license system isn't without trouble: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/trial--1-launch.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard wrote:

half-dozen replies .... I did not take the time to read them

Reminds me of this cloud users experience with the Cloud and Adobe customer service:

ADOBE AN ABSOLUTE DISCGRACE ....

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5301497

eNetwizard wrote:

- For the record, I don't have a problem with Adobe continuing to offer their software as standalone products and subscription services.

- I was surprised to learn from this topic that Adobe intends to discontinue the former and I find that puzzling

- let's say in the future Adobe does substantively raise the costs of their service, performance degrades, or any other number of things happen that alter my present opinion: I'd simply go with the myriad of alternatives that exist.

Those statements and feelings are a bit different now than your original, "I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people". Given your original comment, any replies should not have be a surprise to you when posting in a thread with this topic as the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest on Creative Crap.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-business/opinion-how-adobe-creative-cloud-left-me-a...

To Adobe - there's not a snowball's chance in hell of our team ever signing up for CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this thread, an Adobe Staff member admitted the Cloud storage feature was Beta status and thus people were paying for a beta version. I feel that essentially this is basically what the whole Adobe Creative Cloud will be going forward, a perpetual beta version with people paying to be apart of it. Regardless of the issues, failures, down time, its just merely all part of being a paying customer, or beta tester. Look at all the present and reoccurring issues people are having after a full year, how can anyone feel this whole thing is not beta or better yet pre-alpha.

TheCoroner9 wrote:

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-business/opinion-how- adobe-creative-cloud-left-me-...

The main pull quote, is arguably the best part of the article, well that and the comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheCoroner9 wrote:

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-business/opinion-how- adobe-creative-cloud-left-me-...

To Adobe - there's not a snowball's chance in hell of our team ever signing up for CC

Hi Coroner,

To be fair, the author says this in a comment on the article that you linked to:

"Adobe contacted me immediately and have helped sort the original issues."

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

To be fair, the author ALSO says this in a comment on the article that you linked to:

I think you forgot the word also, as a lot more is said than the simple line you chose to quote from things. If your truly interested in quotes, check the hundreds of thousands of comments and discussions against the Creative Cloud found in the Adobe forums, Adobe's facebook page, online petitions against it, news articles, blog posts, twitter comments, and on and on the world over. Its rather odd and somewhat amusing that when we finally hear something it's merely what you chose to point out. How about addressing all the other concerns being voiced globally? I think Adobe's silence should perhaps take a more "immediate" approach also and actually respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

Kevin Monahan wrote:

To be fair, the author ALSO says this in a comment on the article that you linked to:

I think you forgot the word also, as a lot more is said than the simple line you chose to quote from things. If your truly interested in quotes, check the hundreds of thousands of comments and discussions against the Creative Cloud found in the Adobe forums, Adobe's facebook page, online petitions against it, news articles, blog posts, twitter comments, and on and on the world over. Its rather odd and somewhat amusing that when we finally hear something it's merely what you chose to point out. How about addressing all the other concerns being voiced globally? I think Adobe's silence should perhaps take a more "immediate" approach also and actually respond.

Hi W_J_T,

I'm only saying that the user had some issues, and those issues were solved. I didn't want users to get the impression that technical problems don't just sit there, we try to solve them. Here is an example of where we took action.

Regarding your other concerns, I'm a Social Support Lead. I'm here to make sure people have the correct information about our software. I am not responsible for Adobe policy regarding pricing, or licensing.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

I'm only saying that the user had some issues, and those issues were solved. I didn't want users to get the impression that technical problems don't just sit there, we try to solve them. Here is an example of where we took action.

Well if you wish to try and put that aspect on the article, but perhaps others can read the article themselves to get the writers full sentiments and not void the valid frustrations. Regardless, here is a recent example to the contrary of "problems / solve them", this customer waited 5 months and 14 trouble tickets, is that also Adobe taking action? Seems like in both cases it was escalated and brought to resolution due to publicity, not otherwsie.

Kevin Monahan wrote:

I'm here to make sure people have the correct information about our software.

Sadly we as customers have had to assume the same role given the misinformation and in some cases outright lies that have been perpetuated against us with Adobe's recent misconceived decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Well if you wish to try and put that aspect on the article, but perhaps others can read the article themselves to get the writers full sentiments and not void the valid frustrations. Regardless, here is a recent example to the contrary of "problems / solve them", this customer waited 5 months and 14 trouble tickets, is that also Adobe taking action? Seems like in both cases it was escalated and brought to resolution due to publicity, not otherwsie.

Hi W_J_T,

I'm only talking about this specific case. I don't know the specifics of the other case, so I won't comment at this time.

Kevin Monahan wrote:

I'm here to make sure people have the correct information about our software.

Sadly we as customers have had to assume the same role given the misinformation and in some cases outright lies that have been perpetuated against us with Adobe's recent misconceived decisions.

Again, I am only here to give you the correct information about Adobe software and how it works.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is taking the position of being comited to a new path! Hip hip Horay

The Staff here are to serve as buffers. They will do everyting they can to go around the web and try to difuse things. Have you noticed the volume of post Adobe has on Facebook. Truth be told we all need Adobe software. Some stuff old versions are fine and others we need undates. That is across the board for print web film vfx and more. Adobe has gotten to a point where it sees that a new generation has come and that generation grew up learning photoshop in grade school. This is the time for Adobe however they are gambling big time. if the cloud subs are down for a full year. I do belive that they will fully retract and that will  really suck. For the Adobe board of D because they had to put some money into building this Hindenberg of a joke the call the cloud.

Well Adobe if you look at it like this right now we are talking about you. When we go silent and are still not paying you really have problems. So now would be the time to rethink this and take fast action and kiss some ***&& to get us all back. Stating that this is the new direction and too bad is what you have done all along or at leasrt since I heard at NAB.

You are about to takie Adobe into history with the likes of the Titanic, Hinenberg, Blockbuster video etc

Your bet on the this thing needs all of us to bend over and only a few are. The thing is that when it fails and you were a bully we will not feel sorry for you.

So when you say we are taking this new direction bla bla bla. I say ice berg dead ahead, Listen up turn around or sink its that simple.

You are on the way to making it to this list ( and will finally be number 1)

http://www.businesspundit.com/the-25-worst-business-failures-in-history/

Ps if you guys tell more lies to wall street the FTC can rip you to shreds. But you will need to earn way more than 30c next quarter and if not the stcok will drop 10 points in a day. Your emplye options are what a year out maybe two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding your other concerns, I'm a Social Support Lead. I'm here to make sure people have the correct information about our software. I am not responsible for Adobe policy regarding pricing, or licensing.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, Adobe has a lot of hard working stuff that contrary to Adobe's philoshopy care about the customers. The thousand of complainst just shade a different light on Adobe's rosy marketing propaganda. Personally, most of the time I dealt with Adobe staff they were nice and trying to help, but unfortunatley also in most cases they had no real clue and I had to solve the problems with many unpaid! hours of trial and error myself. Some years ago I even had a support contract that was a waste of money. At the moment it looks again, that a lot of Adobe's staff is not well trained.

Here is what happened the to me yesterday:

More than two months ago I signed up for the full Creative Cloud to test it out. I like to work with new stuff and with the promo offer it was worth the try. Later I realized how bad the subscription model was and how much more expensve it is. At that time I still wanted to be able to use the CS6 promo offer of 29.99, which was announced to be for limited time only. I was afraid that only CS6 customers that (additionally) paid for the cloud would get this offer until “CS7” was supposed to be announced at MAX. Unfortunately I signed up a few days to early, because Adobe announced at MAX the new lower promo offer for CS6 for 19.99. Again Adobe screwed existing customers. The customers got lured or better pressed into the cloud, because Adobe offered a few updates only for cloud customers and those Adobe believers were than thanked with a higher price.

I called sales and complained about the lower promo code. They were friendly enough to allow me to cancel my subscription without any fine, after I have subscribed with the new promo code. They were not able to change my subscription price or give any discount. So I tried to sign up again. The website had trouble. I always ended up on the wrong page. Some pages didn’t show at all. The system tried to use an old ID of mine even I signed up with my new one, pushing me to the wrong language or sending me in circles. After half an hour, closing everything, restarting the computer and login out of the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) I finally was able to place my order. I informed sales and they cancelled my old subscription. I was told that my old subscription is still running for the already paid month. So when it will expire I just need to login again and the new subscription will take over. So far so good, but this is not what happened.

A few days ago, I started to receive messages that my trail subscription is about to expire. First I thought this is the monthly check. So I chose continue, signed in, and thought it is fine now, but the error message came back every day counting down. Today I finally had time to call support. I was told that the source of the problem is that I had CS6 installed before, which I need to de-install. Then I need to download all the GBs of the software from the cloud again and install it new. I did not believe it and was laughing loud. I asked if this is a joke for candy camera. I asked the staff member if she knows how much time it takes to de-install the software, download something 15 or more GB with a slow Internet connection and then install it again. She was aware of it and still insisted that it was the only way to solve the problem. I told her that I don’t have the time to do this, because I have urgent work to do and I will be on the road for a few days when the “trail version counter” will be at 0. After being some time on the phone I asked suggested that Adobe should remove the word professional from their software descriptions.

I remembered that I originally installed the Adobe Application Manager (AAM), deactivated my CS6 installation and then signed in with the AAM. All the applications were shown as installed and I was able to download and install the available updates. Now all the applications are shown as not installed. I was told that this is not possible. She was sure that I didn’t install any updates and that after I deactivated my CS6 I was running on a 30 days trial version. I ensured her that I had downloaded and installed the updates and the AAM showed that everything was up-to-date until a few days ago when I installed an update to the AAM. Strangely the Adobe cloud website still showed that I should install the new version of the AAM even after I already installed it. I also said from previous experience with Adobe activation that normally a 30 day trial period is not possible after the software was already activated. (I once was in a train without internet connection when Photoshop crashed and after reopening wanted to be re-activated. Since I had no Internet connection I was not able to work with Photoshop for the whole day until I was in the hotel.)

When I realized that I deactivated my CS6 already about 50 days ago I said it is not possible that I’m running on a 30 days trail that runs out in 2 days. After arguing for almost one hour where I didn’t buy the explanations and refused to download and re-install everything she double checked my account. After waiting in line the result was that my old subscription hadn’t been cancelled, but I was charged any money for this month. I still don’t understand this. The new subscription that I ordered and got a confirmation for was not active. Apparently I wasn’t charged for it either. I was told that probably the sales rep who handled my case didn’t place the order correctly. I told her that I ordered it via the Adobe website, but she didn’t believe me. I insisted that I ordered via the website. Anyhow the non-active subscription was apparently the reason why I got the error messages. I was told the only solution was to cancel both the old and the supposed to be new subscription and order another new one. Arggh!

So she cancelled the subscriptions for me. In order not to have a problem with the website again I chose to be transferred to sales rep and did the order over the phone. I had to explain everything again, but after almost 2 hours on the phone I had an active subscription. This was still much better than wasting a whole day to re-install everything. Still AAM and the cloud website don’t recognize that I have the all the apps installed. They continue to be reported as to install, but so far I can start the apps without getting the trail error message.  A few minutes ago I opened AAM again. Strangely I had to sign-in and accept the terms again. Suddenly AAM showed my apps as installed. While being in AAM I checked the default setting and I saw that the language was Czech for whatever reason. After I changed the language all my apps were displayed as not installed again. What the f… !!!

By the way many customers reported in various forums and blogs problems that their cloud subscriptions unexpectedly reverted to trail versions. See also http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/trial--1-launch.html.

I further wanted to make sure that my subscription won’t be extended automatically, because for sure I won’t continue with the cloud after that one year is over. I was shocked when I was told that this is not possible! I was told that I will get an email at the beginning of the last month of my subscription period and then, not before, I have to call customer service to cancel my subscription. This is awful and makes me really angry—not to use the f-word! The Adobe cloud is so bad that Adobe needs to press and bind its customers, because they would not stay voluntarily when they realize what they got. 

We have multiple CS6 Master Suites. Normally I would have upgraded all of them immediately to the next version, but Adobe won’t see any extra money from me anymore. This is not just because of my bad experience with the Creative Cloud, but also because of the general problems that come with a subscription only model. Additionally it counts big how Adobe treats its long-time loyal customers. Adobe doesn’t offer the value anymore that I want to pay for and also doesn’t stand anymore for the a company I want to do business with. They should change their slogan into: Yes, you can pay us, but we still only care for us and not for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Kevin, Adobe has a lot of hard working stuff that contrary to Adobe's philoshopy care about the customers.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the post. I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles with CC activation. The best place to troubleshoot problems like yours are on the Downloading, Installing, Setting Up, and Help forum. We have a number of support representatives working there who are experts in this area. Next time, I would recommend going there before heading to the phone.

Feel free to PM me at any time if you continue to have issues and I'll do my best to make sure your problem is escalated immediately.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard wrote:

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people . . .

If you didn't want to debate it or hear why this is such a big deal to so many people, you chose a poor way to express that.

It seems you aren't taking too seriously the problem of using your files in the future. If you ever do have to move to the "myriad" of other offerings out there, you'll find they are vastly inferior to Adobe, and even if not, moving will be traumatic if you have any file that you still need access to.

But I forgot, you're not reading or replying . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eliminate the mandatory "creative cloud" subsciption model petiton now has over 30,000 supporters

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subscription model is not mandatory. You can still buy the stand alone product, the only difference is that the stand alone products will no longer be updated. But since the petition model suporters apparently don't update their software anyway, this should not be an issue to them. So what exactly is the problem?

You can also switch to competitors products if you so choose.

Nothing mandatory at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

The subscription model is not mandatory. You can still buy the stand alone product, the only difference is that the stand alone products will no longer be updated.

The 'only difference'. So it's comply or be left behind.

But since the petition model suporters apparently don't update their software anyway, this should not be an issue to them. So what exactly is the problem?

I, and many like me, like our software updated. However, since the progress of "new useful features" has stalled -- posing "Dark UI" as a 'new feature', FCOL --, it's no longer economically justified to upgrade every ... single ... time. So I advised my boss to skip office-wide upgrades to CS5, and CS5.5, and CS6.

Now Adobe recognized this trend, they could have made upgrades more desirable -- i.e., by adding useful, requested new features. Not by removing useful functionality (Freehand import in Illustrator; SVG export in InDesign), breaking existing functionality (Word import in InDesign), or seemingly senseless changes (breaking up required resource files up into tens of hundreds itty bitty tiny files, clogging your HD and slowing down start-up time immensely). Also not by adding actually useful functions such as a custom setting for menu and dialog font sizes (popping up more and more in the Request lists).

Nossir, the trick to make any and all client not only update -- whether they want or not -- but also pay -- whether they want those upgrades or not -- is to make their software A Service. Give the employee that came up with the idea a big bonus. You got plenty fresh cash coming in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Yellamokara wrote:

The subscription model is not mandatory. You can still buy the stand alone product, the only difference is that the stand alone products will no longer be updated.

The 'only difference'. So it's comply or be left behind.

But since the petition model suporters apparently don't update their software anyway, this should not be an issue to them. So what exactly is the problem?

I, and many like me, like our software updated. However, since the progress of "new useful features" has stalled -- posing "Dark UI" as a 'new feature', FCOL --, it's no longer economically justified to upgrade every ... single ... time. So I advised my boss to skip office-wide upgrades to CS5, and CS5.5, and CS6.

Now Adobe recognized this trend, they could have made upgrades more desirable -- i.e., by adding useful, requested new features. Not by removing useful functionality (Freehand import in Illustrator; SVG export in InDesign), breaking existing functionality (Word import in InDesign), or seemingly senseless changes (breaking up required resource files up into tens of hundreds itty bitty tiny files, clogging your HD and slowing down start-up time immensely). Also not by adding actually useful functions such as a custom setting for menu and dialog font sizes (popping up more and more in the Request lists).

Nossir, the trick to make any and all client not only update -- whether they want or not -- but also pay -- whether they want those upgrades or not -- is to make their software A Service. Give the employee that came up with the idea a big bonus. You got plenty fresh cash coming in.

But if you upgrade a perpetual license the cost increases as your original version gets older anyway, so the overall cost does not change significantly unless you go for very long periods without upgrading. If you are a professional using this software you are not going to wait that long between upgrades anyway in most cases. The main difference is that with a perpetual license you pay the cost up front while CC the cost is incurred over time. An advantage with CC is that if your circumstances change you can discontinue the subscription and save some of that overall cost.

If you are using the software to make a living and a few dollars a month averaged over many years is a make or break situation for your margins, you probably need to get into a different line of work.

I use the software for personal use. For me personally the subscription model makes it economically feasible - without CC the impact of making that big upfront payment of the perpetual license was a deal breaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines